Ultimate planted tank?

colley614

Hi peeps,

Hope everyone is well. Just wanted to start a discussion to see what everyone's opinion is about the ultimate planted goldfish aquarium is.

For me, the first plant I've always added is elodea densa. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

WOW I think If I could have a planted tank I would have.

1. A Mother Anubias plant

2. Some Grass looking plants in the back ground,

then  if I could only do it.... Have some kind of short like grass/moss plants that they wouldn't eat :lol 

On 4/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, colley614 said:

. . . the ultimate planted goldfish aquarium is . . . For me, the first plant I've always added is elodea densa. 

Do you let it float, or do you root it in the substrate?

I've always enjoyed growing different species of Anubias with goldfish.  I like using the larger species, only planted on wood or rocks with nothing planted on the bottom.

• 10 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 8:57 AM, Acro said:

Do you let it float, or do you root it in the substrate?

I've always enjoyed growing different species of Anubias with goldfish.  I like using the larger species, only planted on wood or rocks with nothing planted on the bottom.

I usually plant them 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I like elodea for food and it grows super fast to help make up for all the eating. That and most of the anubis plants, I use fishing line to wrap them to smooth river stones until the roots wrap around and hold, then I remove the fishing line. The elodea is floating, clamped near the top, and clamped to the bottom - to give several "levels" of vegetation. I have bare bottom tanks with goldies so no substrate to plant things in.

• 4 weeks later...

Elodea densa is great. In my last aquarium I was literally taking handfuls out that hand grown constantly. In my mind I was basically removing trapped nitrates.

3 hours ago, koko said:

Coming together very nicely MJ 👍

I'm done with the base plants. He has ripped up the new wisteria all over the tank so I think that plant will be a no. Pulled them outta the weights and everything. Made a mess!!

19 hours ago, mjfromga said:

20210914_142752.thumb.jpg.8c63fe6e15b5820ff4fd20c460f3c5a9.jpg20210914_142801.thumb.jpg.96d95152dacb46ee68db9692c53fba76.jpg

20210914_142808.thumb.jpg.a7dae59632115427771f68c72c7fc059.jpg

This is my little man's tank. All sorts of random plants that IDK what they are. We shall see which ones do okay and which ones don't. 

I that tank looks amazing! Nymphaea stellata is the lily. I want one for my tank once its cycled. 

4 hours ago, colley614 said:

I that tank looks amazing! Nymphaea stellata is the lily. I want one for my tank once its cycled. 

Thank you. Just gotta get it to fill in a bit... the wisteria is a miss. The goldfish is really into tearing it up.

6 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Thank you. Just gotta get it to fill in a bit... the wisteria is a miss. The goldfish is really into tearing it up.

I get mixed emotions when my goldfish nail my plants. Part of me get cross and another part finds it endearing 😂

7 minutes ago, colley614 said:

I get mixed emotions when my goldfish nail my plants. Part of me get cross and another part finds it endearing 😂

He has torn them up all over the tank. He hadn't really done that with any of the other plants. I want to kinda remove the rest and try and clean up the mess but I will just do his 90% water change tomorrow and leave the rest alone. I think he will have his fun then leave them be. I hate to toss them. I got a net and scooped out a bunch of the mess already.