Sign in to follow this  
The Fish Lady

Fry Size

I have 35 butterfly telescope goldfish fry. They all range in size, some with much bigger bellies than others. The largest are about an inch (including tail) and have a full belly. The smallest are about 3/4" but do not have much of a belly.

Are they around the size they should be at this age? I haven't found much about this online, so if you have any information or a source I would love to know about it 

Here is one of my little fatties <3

20200328_200319.jpg

Posted (edited)

Hi Fish Lady,   A little difficult to provide answer without the date of hatch. But expect that one cm a month to be a good rate if the biggest 10% of group have enough space  and food to grow. 

Source of good information about breeding goldfish : pictured are 3 books. And can be seen in background that my 90 day old oranda also enjoy the pictures. 

65252690-4786-44D1-8983-5CC6F48D0654.jpeg

Edited by mikroll
Source picture

I'm sorry I thought I included that! They are 1 month old. 3-2-20.

How many fry do you have? How many gallons is your tank?

I just found 5 new fry in my goldfish tank...

Hi Fish Lady, at one month that is very good growth. Well Done! Under right conditions they can grow very rapidly. Very nice to find a few extra babes.   Tanks pictured with  the books are 40 used for breeding. Currently have 3 groups and perhaps will get a fourth spawn today if lucky from the 8 parents. Do not know how many . Normally do not like to raise to many groups but as we are isolated with this Corona thing , no visits can be made to the fish store and all orders from China are cancelled, we will breed our own. 

Thank you! I actually had them in a 10 gallon and had to cull the majority (a lot of spine deformities), then moved them to the 20 gallon they are in now. I know that is still not big enough, so to compensate, I am doing a daily water change.

I only have one pair that are spawning, but they have already had three batches of fry. The 35 fry I have now are the first group, I only found one fry in the tank from the second spawning, and 5 from the third. I only used a spawning mop the first time, so Im sure the eggs from the second and third either got eaten or sucked up by the filter. 

Good luck with all your babies!

On 4/2/2020 at 7:16 AM, mikroll said:

Hi Fish Lady, at one month that is very good growth. Well Done! Under right conditions they can grow very rapidly. Very nice to find a few extra babes.   Tanks pictured with  the books are 40 used for breeding. Currently have 3 groups and perhaps will get a fourth spawn today if lucky from the 8 parents. Do not know how many . Normally do not like to raise to many groups but as we are isolated with this Corona thing , no visits can be made to the fish store and all orders from China are cancelled, we will breed our own. 

How are your babies doing?

Here is an updated pic of some of my fry: 

20200419_015437 (2).jpg

3 hours ago, The Fish Lady said:

20200419_015437 (2).jpg

3 hours ago, The Fish Lady said:

20200419_015437 (2).jpg

Greetings Fish Lady and Well Done! They look very nice and you must be satisfied with the results.    Mine are now in 4 groups and as soon as weather permits will move the biggest to outside pool and a small pond.  This is first spawn for these parents and so have no idea if they can produce quality. I have two ponds empty awaiting  for koi  spawn but if they skip then the goldfish babies will be delighted with larger quarters. Here, Italy, we are still under strict rules for movement and in fact have only left our grounds once since 1 March and so all items needed for fish breeding must be here at hand ( which I have). 

Cheers Michael

I know they aren't perfect (I've gotten comments about their tails), but I still love these little guys. They are from the first spawn between my pair and I have never done this before, so I think I did ok :)

How many do you have? I have considered getting a pond or little pool for my other fry (the ones I should probably cull, but I can't bring myself to do it). 

My father's side of the family is from Italy, I hope to go one  day. Here in California we are supposed to remain at home, we should only leave for "essentials."  Luckily, I have most of what I need. There are pet stores that allow pick up or delivery.

You are doing just fine I say.   Ok counted and believe there to be between 40 and 50 . So that means most likely several more hiding in the moss. From these can be developed perhaps six or so. I think we will do one more group if they decide to throw another round of eggs. Just to have some more to play with. A small pond or pool is always a delight and they can get really big  outdoors. I used to live in Long Beach (Belmont shore ,Naples Island), Education  work and play (sailing). Now live in Campania. Many Americans of Italian ancestry visit our mountain village, ( second home)Pietracupa, Molise,and some even do the second citizenship thing too. You can see town on u tube , P Cupa snow , where I made a little video with my drone.

Cheers Michael

image.jpg

Thank you! 

When I first counted my fry, I thought I only had 50, but then I culled a bunch, did a recount, and still had 50! So who knows how many I really had. How do you cull your fry? I have a few that probably need to go, but they are getting bigger... When they were really small I was placing them back in the tank with the other goldfish...

My family is from Abruzzo and Calabria. 

Ha ha , you have joined and welcome to the club! Each recount always turns up more even double!! All this about culling is when we have a spawn in the thousands. So one must find room and then decide if possible what is the goal.  There are a few good works about how to go about it. If it interests you PM me  or let me know for info and link to the books if you can not find a copy.

Now for me as I am no longer breeding it for sales I just keep ‘em all . Pick out the best twenty to  go into bigger pond and the rest give away . I still have the leftovers from when I made a pure coal black . Took nearly 8 years to produce.  A real challenge. But the castoffs are now also beauty and I am glad that I kept them.

Molise is the smallest and most “untouched” state and borders Abruzzo to its North . In Summer all the little villages conduct festivals so is a sort of continuous party. Pietracupa’s is on 17 August and entire town is a street party with food stations and many music bands playing throughout the night. Just google Pietracupa, or join us on fb, you can read / speak Italian? ( of course).even a little bit , Pizza, spaghetti, Ferrari, Gucci.

I am glad I am not alone! 

I had a lot of fry with crooked spines. I am not sure if they were born that way, or something happened? Another one of my theories is that it happened because their parents are still young? I am not sure. I then had two with bladder issues...

Wow 8 years? Do you still have him?

That sounds fun! I will check it out :) My grandmother taught me a few things, I can understand most of it. 

Deformed babies is a tricky subject as experts tell us that it can (most likely) be genetic. But also can be caused by external factors. Such as electric, water temperature and even bad things in the water treatment for parasites. Diet is also mentioned, specifically vitamins A C E. Also can be a muscular problem caused a a whole sort of cyst forming bad guys. So we do not worry about it too much and just chuck them overboard. Have had some fish that just did not produce offspring. Curling gill covers , hump backs and poor tails.

But when you get some that are right then the fun begins. Same thing  with koi and guppy. Just need the right combination and then wow!

Just checked up on my blacks in the pond after you asked. They are still there and the Big Black Jack, As we call it is doing fine. Now at about age 10 or 11. Still coal shuttle jet black . Not a normal gold fish but a mix to get big head , long long tail and of course pure black.

Wow 10 years old!? I hope my goldfish live as long. 

Wouldnt the external factors affect all of them? I think the deformities could have also been from when I transfered them to the tank? Not too sure and I will probably never know.

Actually the fish we are interested in are “deformed “ , from mutations and  developed out of a lot breeding work. Pop eyes , multiple tails, humpbacks and bright colors are not normal . Pictured is Dr. Matsui’s Genetic Chart, from his Goldfish Guide, showing some varieties and the path of development.

1E0C765D-A9EF-492C-83C7-60F2756FF064.jpeg