Corona virus

koko

• Helper

More and more things arw shutting here. From tomorrow all clubs, cinemas, bars, restaurants, cafes will be closed. Noone allowed into the state from 4pm tuesday.  We are heading for a full lockdown. Still going to work, for now. Seeing too much of it sends my anxiety into overdrive, so I just read/watch enough to know what I need to know.

Everything is shut down. State of Emergency in Ontario, Canada. I've been working from home the past week but I'm having a hard time mentally. Concerned for my family, especially my immediate family who are front line healthcare workers. Mom is a homecare PSW and sister is an ER triage/ICU nurse.

Mom is a longterm smoker and not in the greatest health. She says things to me like, "I don't have a will, I need to make one" and "I will die if I catch it". Some of her clients don't take social distancing seriously and putting everyone at risk. Trying to encourage more positivity in my mom but really, things are looking very bleak here. 

I also live alone and physically distant from any family. I am so thankful that I adopted a cat last week (seemingly just in time) to keep me company. So grateful for him! 

But on the bright side, the houseplants and goldies are also getting a lot more attention. :) I've turned my cellphone off today, and there will be NO MEDIA or bad news for me.

Hope you're all doing ok, kokonuts :)

• Admin

I feel ya guys. Everything here is shut down even the schools. Justine is bored and misses her friends and teacher.

My dad is in Washington where there is 27 cases on his island. My grandparents are okay as it hasn't hit ID as much as it's hit Washington and Oregon.

We do have each other and this forum...i think at times like this we need to come together and support each other.

🙌

I was thinking about a thread like this a few days ago, so glad you started one Koko!  :D

I'm in the USA in Georgia and yes, schools, colleges, theaters (for movies and plays), some restaurants, I think most bars, all the touristy stuff here, and even the beach is closed.  Since the touristy stuff is closed, so is my job. 

Stuff that's open . . . some restaurants, liquor stores, hardware stores, pawn stores, gun stores, pet stores, feed & seed stores, grocery stores, most state parks, and a few other places I haven't noticed.  Most that are open have limited hours, or you have to order by phone/online and pick-up.  But there are still several places that are operating like normal.  In those, I often see a bottle of hand sanitizer right by the door.  Part of me likes the fact that everything isn't shut down, but I know it's important to prevent the spread, and more places need to fully close, or just have a pick-up window or delivery service available.  This needs to be taken more seriously here in Georgia.

Being off from work gives me some time to set up my aquaponics systems, rearrange my house, work out the last kinks so I can FINALLY propose to my girlfriend, and I get to put more effort into starting my own business (something I've been wanting to do for a few years now).  I was looking for a new job anyways, so for me, this may be a blessing in disguise.  I'm going to try and do as much as I can in the next few weeks, but soon I'm going to have to get another job.  At least whatever it will be, likely won't put me in contact with several hundred people a day, like my old job did.  

Bug HUG to everyone!  Since we'll have time on our hands, our tanks will be the cleanest around!  :D

On 3/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, FishyMandy said:

We are heading for a full lockdown. 

On 3/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, Caretta Rose said:

Hope you're all doing ok, kokonuts 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:19 PM, koko said:

We do have each other and this forum...at times like this we need to come together and support each other.

Have you done anything special to prepare your pets and tanks?  

Are Pet Stores and Plant Nurseries open where you are?

In Maine, nothing is closed. We aren’t in lockdown. They’re recommending social distancing, and there’s only ~100 cases here so far diagnosed. But pretty much if you’re not dying they won’t test you due to shortages in kits. Massachusetts just went into full lockdown (or they’re about to?) so I’m thinking/ hoping Maine is shortly behind them. The sooner there’s an official quarantine, the sooner this whole thing will be over. But my mom and grandparents aren’t planning on having visitors or leaving the house until August when they’re estimating it’ll be done... 

We just went on lockdown yesterday.  

A few friends of mine had a video chat "happy hour".  I thought the idea was dumb, but it was actually nice to see them and hear how they are doing.  It was kinda like we were all hanging out again.  

Soon enough, we will be!  :D

• Admin
13 hours ago, Acro said:

We just went on lockdown yesterday.  

A few friends of mine had a video chat "happy hour".  I thought the idea was dumb, but it was actually nice to see them and hear how they are doing.  It was kinda like we were all hanging out again.  

Soon enough, we will be!  :D

We are totally locked down here. Justine had her first video playdate. It took her a bit to get used to it.

If we leave here we can get a slap on the wrist. We are doing okay, Justine is a little restless.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey people!

Its Speckles, hope you are all coping ok with life as it is at the moment? 
I’m so grateful to be in Australia at the moment. 
Home schooling at the moment which had some challenges but we are settling in now on our second week...although I would hate to be trying to work full time from home at the same time! :hummm :help1

• Admin
9 hours ago, Speckles said:

Hey people!

Its Speckles, hope you are all coping ok with life as it is at the moment? 
I’m so grateful to be in Australia at the moment. 
Home schooling at the moment which had some challenges but we are settling in now on our second week...although I would hate to be trying to work full time from home at the same time! :hummm :help1

:hi I have missed ya.

Yeah Im home schooling Justine. Its hard but plugging right along. :)

Hows the fishies? 

Hello everyone.

Im in California, so only the "essential" places are open. About 2 weeks ago I was still able to stop by Petco and Petsmart, but now its only delivery or curbside pickup.  I've been ordering my pet supplies from amazon or chewy :/ 

• Admin
On 4/22/2020 at 5:15 PM, The Fish Lady said:

Hello everyone.

Im in California, so only the "essential" places are open. About 2 weeks ago I was still able to stop by Petco and Petsmart, but now its only delivery or curbside pickup.  I've been ordering my pet supplies from amazon or chewy :/ 

How are you holding up?

• Supporter

we've got really low numbers compared to most countries. it's kinda weird, my life hasn't changed much as we're still working every day and most friends in business as we are, have also not felt the impact of COVID-19. but the rest have either been laid off work, supported somewhat by the government or just not doing well at all. the State i live in (Victoria) has the strongest restrictions, i'm sorta happy about that but i worry for those who haven't qualified for government handouts and are simply not receiving any money at all. still though, they are sitting prettier in AU than they would be anywhere else. at worst, they can receive food and keep the roof over their heads without threat of eviction during this pandemic.

health wise, AU is doing what it can to protect its citizens, however our Prime Minister today is trying to find a way to get 1M citizens back to work within the next few weeks as our economy will suffer too much. if the government finds a relatively safe way to get these 1M ppl back to work, then i guess that's ok. but they are saying health first, so it will be an effort to get it happening.

there is also a lot of ignorance amongst our citizens. because we have low numbers, very few community transmission cases..  certain individuals are continuously breaking restriction rules. this encourages others to do the same and people who are following the rules are becoming frustrated in that because of these inconsiderate actions, not only do we risk a second wave of COVID-19 returning with a vengeance, but before that, it will take FOREVER for things to return back to normal.

i miss my mum. her cuddles and kisses. having dinner together. at the moment, i drive by, scream out my car window, throw a few things in her yard and drive off feeling lousy. but we're healthy and that is what matters.

My state is starting to open back up as of May 1st. Masks are required while shopping. Restaurants are takeout only, schools are closed for the rest of the year. We have the 5th lowest death toll in the US, with only about 50 I believe? A lot of people still aren’t taking it seriously... I wonder if that’s a US thing or a people thing in general. I don’t know anyone whose gotten sick with it still thank goodness!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 10:25 AM, koko said:

How are you holding up?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm ok, surviving. Not sure how much longer I can take being cooped up! Someone close to me tested positive which was definitely a scare. Luckily for them they are asymptomatic. 

• Admin
On 5/20/2020 at 9:40 AM, The Fish Lady said:

Sorry for the late reply. I'm ok, surviving. Not sure how much longer I can take being cooped up! Someone close to me tested positive which was definitely a scare. Luckily for them they are asymptomatic. 

I feel ya. I just want to be able to take my 7year old to the park. She's going nuts. 😂😜

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am located in Italy and have  been on our grounds isolating  since February and only this week now ventured out for a brief shopping tour, masked and gloved. We were well stocked and also fortunate that our daughter was able to shop for essential supplies for us. She is in the Army and was assigned to assist as we are both in the at risk categories over 70 and other problems. 

Here in the South our village has Zero cases and the special unit at the Hospital is has been stood down. We remain in isolation due to our age .

been busy fixing the leaking fish pond and believe is isolated to a puncture in the waterfall pool. That is a easy fix I hope.

new baby gold fish are also doing fine.