Sign in to follow this  
SGcvn69

Black Comets???

Has anyone ever seen black comets?! A local fish store to me has them for $6.99! Will they stay black?

C904826D-9261-4BF6-ACF2-14FB7F3ADCC4.png

1024A67B-1515-4554-A1AA-D1300DBBE408.png

They are a hybrid of goldfish and koi.  They do stay black. I have one, she was about 3 inches when I got her and is now about 12 inches

She is very hard to photograph,  but here are some I had on my phone where you can see her

20200112_102352.jpg

20200219_160050.jpg

20200112_102417.jpg

20200128_175800.jpg

Wow, beautiful fish Mandy! :heart:heart:heart

How neat that they are hybrids. Can they breed or are they sterile like some other hybrid species? Either way, you should totally pick one (or some, hehe) up SG! 

Do they have barbels or none, Mandy? Jenny, I definitely picked one up! LOL! I couldn't resist! I got the biggest one with the longest tail! He was hard to catch! When the guy left to get a blue net so we could see better I snagged him :D He's about 6" long from snout to base of tail! I didn't realize they were in their indoor pond until I got a closer look to try to pet the koi LOL! Then I saw these dark shadows popping up! I was like WHOA! 

My Raven has very tiny barbels. I think I have a photo that shows them on my computer, I will have a look in the mornings! 

They are gorgeous fish. Raven is right there at the top of my favourites. Would love to see yours!

Yes, that's a goldfish-koi hybrid, and yes they are usually, if not always, sterile.

2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

My Raven has very tiny barbels. I think I have a photo that shows them on my computer, I will have a look in the mornings! 

They are gorgeous fish. Raven is right there at the top of my favourites. Would love to see yours!

Hmm....I will have to take a closer look when I get home tonight! I don't think his color is as dark as yours, but this one has been inside for awhile I bet! I will try and get a pic too. 

There also some blackish/dark grey comets: parents two regular orange comets...I have 3 who have stubbornly not changed colors in my small outdoor pond in 4 years.  Other babies of two orange parents and two shubunkins have changed into a variety of orange, white, etc.  But these 3 are still dark as they enter their 5th year!

6A5744BF-6B7B-4112-9218-E1E8BD57D690.jpegHere he is! A little lighter atm cuz I just changed out some of his water. 

Oh he is gorgeous! My girl was a lot lighter when I got her and she was in QT, she darkened up very quickly once i put her in the pond

You can see the barbels here if you look very closely

IMG_1045.jpg

This is when I first got her

image.png.98108f57009522116556de6183826eb3.png

Oh they are tiny barbels! I think I spotted some on my guy (I think it's a boy anyway!), but I'm not sure. Ended up with a great use of my 48" Fluval light I got on sale! I grabbed my other regular goldfish and stuck it under the same light next to where this guy is chilling out!