Sign in to follow this  
Minabites

Should I be worried?

Hey,

I’m very familiar with tropical fresh water tanks and recently switched out my 10 gallon tank to a 29 gallon so I could get a goldfish. I just bought a standard Oranda from PetSmart where they said they take extra good care of them and even had very large ones. So I bought everything, set up the tank, added conditioner and bacteria starter, acclimated my fish, and added the existing fish I had from before which are three tetras and two mini danios. I added an algae eater the worker recommended me at petsmart then added my Oranda. I’ve kept an eye on the tank all day and just now I noticed two things sticking out of my Oranda’s scales. I have no idea what they are, I’ve never seen them. My tanks PH is somewhere from 6.8-7.2. I just use the test strips from Walmart. Please let me know what it is. 

TL;DR: I’m a new owner. There’s something coming out of my Oranda and I don’t know what it is. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

DBCA2203-E057-480C-B778-5A9B3613F082.jpeg

EFE5B946-F2FF-4264-ABF2-E1C50A7C466C.jpeg

EDIT-

I recognized this as anchor worms. I wan Che’s a bunch of videos and read a ton of info and with a steady hand I removed the heads of the two stuck on him. Juriyah, my goldfish, came from PetSmart and I understand that once it’s been infected with anchor worm, it may have laid many eggs. I understand that dimilin with hell rod the eggs but I’m not sure the ratios to use and how often before I’m safe. Should I put it in my main tank or just with the infected fish??

Hi, welcome to Kokos :) I agree they are Anchor Worms. I have never treated Anchor Worms before so am not sure of the procedure but @koko or @shakaho or @Arctic Mama may be able to help. 

In the mean time could you please fill out this form? I know you've included some of the info in your original post, but it really helps to have it all laid out!

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

10 hours ago, Minabites said:

EDIT-

I recognized this as anchor worms. I wan Che’s a bunch of videos and read a ton of info and with a steady hand I removed the heads of the two stuck on him. Juriyah, my goldfish, came from PetSmart and I understand that once it’s been infected with anchor worm, it may have laid many eggs. I understand that dimilin with hell rod the eggs but I’m not sure the ratios to use and how often before I’m safe. Should I put it in my main tank or just with the infected fish??

If that fish was in the main tank yes I would treat everything.

Dilute the product (I assume a liquid product) to 1/20 of the current concentration -- one part product plus 19 parts water. Then one tablespoon of the diluted product treats 25 gallons.  So treat your QT with a "scant" tablespoon of diluted product.  Dimilin doesn't harm fish even at 10 times the normal dose.

That was a post from @shakaho.

I hope that helps. Let me know.

Yes, dimilin course is the order of the day :) I wouldn’t treat for less than a week.