Sign in to follow this  
Ms.Jenny

Saying goodbye to my beloved 29 gallon!

Hello Koko members! It’s been a few years but nice to be back. A little about me, I started my goldfish journey about 10 years ago with a 10 gallon tank and two goldfish, yikes! I quickly learned I was misinformed and off to a rough start with proper goldfish care. I then purchased a 29 gallon tank (the biggest I could fit in my apartment at the time) and two Fluval 206 canisters. This setup has worked well for me, however I did end up moving to keeping a single goldfish after a few years as this kept my parameters much more pristine with less work. I’m about to setup my dream tank, an 100 gallon “wide” tank that measures 48 long, 24 wide, and 20 high. I will be running two Fluval 407’s with spray bars on this baby and am so excited to get it setup! 

My 29 gallon will be going to a new home, which is very bittersweet. While pretty small for goldfish, I’ve had great luck keeping fish in this tank and have never had major issues with sickness or other ailments. I attribute this to the extra filtration and routine large water changes, and also some good luck!

Here is my 29 gallon currently, with my single tailed but fancy bodied girl named Mama, who is four years old. All the plants will be going into the 100 gallon along with a few extra new ones who are in QT with some nerite snails. I will miss this tank! It’s been a great one. <3

33886B48-A937-4A21-A9F4-20CB1C6E7973.jpeg

Mama is beautiful and the tank looks great, it will be amazing to see that scape expanded into the 100g!

3 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Mama is beautiful and the tank looks great, it will be amazing to see that scape expanded into the 100g!

Thank you! I’m super excited to see how the 100 gallon turns out! I plan to post an update once it’s ready. I found Mama at a normal chain pet store, she was about 1” total length with a group of fantails. She’s stayed quite small in body size compared to my previous fancies, but her fins seem to just keep growing. She is very elegant compared to past fish, no chunky wobbling haha. I’m actually a little worried she’ll out compete my new fish for food, as I plan to keep butterfly telescopes. We’ll have to see! Fingers crossed all goes well. 

I have some fish like that, where their bodies have stayed pretty small but their fins are massive! I find my butterflies to have been quite good eaters without much worry of other fish out competing them, even when I had them in with faster fancies and single tails :) I  just try to spread the food around the tank so there are lots of spots for them to go eat

6 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I have some fish like that, where their bodies have stayed pretty small but their fins are massive! I find my butterflies to have been quite good eaters without much worry of other fish out competing them, even when I had them in with faster fancies and single tails :) I  just try to spread the food around the tank so there are lots of spots for them to go eat

That’s so good to hear you haven’t had issues with feeding! I want them to coexist peacefully so bad. Mama has never had friends with her which I feel bad about, I really hope she enjoys her new buddies and bigger tank. She hand feeds so my plan is to give a good mouthful to her first then get food to the babies while she’s munching. :)

That sounds like a great plan!

Love your setup! What kind of plants are those? I am planning on starting up my 75 gallon tank once again, in the summer, after 3 years living overseas. For now, I'm slowly brushing up again on goldfish care, tank set up, etc. Can't wait to see your 100 gallon tank all set in place  :)

On 2/14/2020 at 10:36 PM, MK_12 said:

Love your setup! What kind of plants are those? I am planning on starting up my 75 gallon tank once again, in the summer, after 3 years living overseas. For now, I'm slowly brushing up again on goldfish care, tank set up, etc. Can't wait to see your 100 gallon tank all set in place  :)

Thank you! :)  The plants are all Anubias; a mix of Nana,  Coffeefolia, and some new Nana Petite for the 100 gallon. I actually got my new tank setup over the weekend and am finishing up the layout of everything before posting pictures. I love it though and the fish all get along so well! 

You’ll have to post pictures once the 75 gallon is setup! Do you know what varieties of goldfish you plan to keep? Planning out a new tank is always so exciting. I’m sure it will turn out great!