Sign in to follow this  
Ms.Jenny

Baby Black Moor with Injured Tail Fin

Hello all!

It’s been a few years since I’ve posted here on Koko’s, however I’ve referenced info here many times and am so happy to see it’s still an active community. I still have my 29 gallon aquarium which currently houses a single goldfish, an adorable four year old single tailed but fancy bodied girl named Mama. After 10 years of running my simple 29 gallon setup, my wonderful hubby decided to get me my dream tank for my birthday this year! My new 100 gallon (48 long, 24 wide, 20 tall) tank and stand should be coming next week which is beyond exciting. Now, onto the problem...

In anticipation of the arrival of my new tank, I went ahead and purchased two baby Black Moor Butterflies from King Koi so I could begin their quarantine. They arrived on January 16th, and to my surprise, there were three babies delivered instead of two! There was a buy 2 get 1 free sale apparently, thank goodness I have the space for everyone. One baby arrived with a damaged tail fin tip, all looked great otherwise and have thrived during their quarantine so far. I noticed the past couple days that the baby with the damaged fin may be getting some extra fraying instead of healing... however it’s hard to tell for sure. I want to have a plan in place in case I decide to treat further than my standard quarantine process.

Test Results (for Quarantine Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 - .25 (detoxified with Prime, no filter on QT)

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank)  0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 PH, ~150ppm KH, ~100ppm GH

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8 PH, ~150ppm KH, ~100ppm GH

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API drops for all.

* Water temperature?  Heater used, water at 73.4 degrees.

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon quarantine, today is day 23 of the quarantine.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No filter, running an air stone and performing 100% daily water changes using tub to tub (or bucket to bucket?) method.

* How often do you change the water and how much? 100% daily.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 100% this morning.

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three baby black moors, roughly 1 inch body length, 2 inch total length. 

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime double dosed

* What do you feed your fish and how often?  Repashy Super Gold fed each AM about 1 hour before 100% water change. Have also fed small amounts of Northfin goldfish pellets, Fluval Bug Bites, and frozen bloodworms as snacks on occasion. 

* Any new fish added to the tank? All three babies added at same time on 1/16.

* Any medications added to the tank? Salt at 0.3%, just finished third round of PraziPro treatment so no Prazi currently in use.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Slowly raised salt to 0.3%, has been at this amount since 1/20. Performed three rounds of Prazi each at 4 days of treatment with 1-2 days between treatments.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One baby has slight damage to one tip of tail fin that I expected to heal quicker than it has been. Past couple days I’m afraid I’m seeing more fraying, but not 100% sure.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? None at all. All very active and hungry, happy little babies. 

Please let me know if I should plan to treat this little guy separately and what medications (if any)  I should grab to have on hand just in case. I have smaller 5 gallon tubs I can use but no additional heaters to use, the water was sitting around 65 degrees before I added the heaters about a week into their quarantine. I can also try to get a picture of the fin in question if that would be helpful. Thank you guys in advance for your help! <3

I went ahead and took a couple pictures of the little guy as I felt it would be helpful. He wouldn’t stop moving so it was a little difficult! 

6251FD0E-6633-40D7-8A35-1FD6A81F2427.jpeg

F30C0516-02A5-42FD-9829-45083647A710.jpeg

Well I think you did everything right. The one thing that can help this heal is colloidal silver. You can find it at most heal stores. I have even found a 30ppm one at Wal-Mart.

Once you have some I would depending on the ppm, use an 1/8 of a teaspoon or 1/4 of a teaspoon. You can use it on all of them. It's a natural antibiotic.

Thanks so much Koko! Is there a specific brand you recommend? I’m seeing a lot of 10 ppm varieties on Amazon, would the dose be 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons for one of these? He might be looking a little better today, he’s just so little and super active so it’s hard to see well. I’m thinking the “fraying” I’m seeing might actually be new fin growth... I’m hoping it’s that at least! :)

21 hours ago, Ms.Jenny said:

Thanks so much Koko! Is there a specific brand you recommend? I’m seeing a lot of 10 ppm varieties on Amazon, would the dose be 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons for one of these? He might be looking a little better today, he’s just so little and super active so it’s hard to see well. I’m thinking the “fraying” I’m seeing might actually be new fin growth... I’m hoping it’s that at least! :)

I hope so too the silver will help it heal faster and kill any kind of bacteria.

A quick update on my little one (now names Nibbles). He is almost completely healed up and is in the 100 gallon with his friends! I do think the “fraying” I was seeing was actually new growth, he’s just so little and since the healing was lighter in color than the rest of his fins, it looked concerning. I’m so relieved all is well with him! :) 

On 2/16/2020 at 12:04 PM, Ms.Jenny said:

A quick update on my little one (now names Nibbles). He is almost completely healed up and is in the 100 gallon with his friends! I do think the “fraying” I was seeing was actually new growth, he’s just so little and since the healing was lighter in color than the rest of his fins, it looked concerning. I’m so relieved all is well with him! :) 

Yeah..... 🐟

Oh I love to hear when fish are back to there happy self. 💖