Sign in to follow this  
charliebower14

Black moors acting lethargic

33 minutes ago, charliebower14 said:

I've been to my local fish store and got some salt, how much should i use and how long should I bath her for?

I couldn't get any meth blue but I can order some online. 

I also managed to get some crushed oyster shells because the guy said they would do the same thing as the crushed coral. He said it wouldn't matter how much I put in because it would only dissolve when needed.

For the crushed shells, I would get a panty hose or mesh bag from the LFS and put about 1/2 cup in it. Then after you rinse it off put it in the filtration system. This is how I do it and I also replace it ever 2-3 months.

As for the salt, do you have a food scale?

This is part of the salt treatment page. I use this when I need to salt my tank. I use this way cause salt has different sizes and weight. So using a food scale you get just the right amount.

Let me know if you need help. 👍

Metric system and the scale
0.1% salt is 1g/liter of tank water. There are 3.79 liters in a gallon. So, whatever size your tank is in gallons, multiply that by 3.79, and that is how many grams you need in order to raise the salinity of your tank to 0.1%. Here are some common sizes and the amount of salt you will need to raise the salt by 0.1%

- 10 gallons = 10x3.79 = 37.9 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 20 gallons = 20x3.79 = 75.8 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 29 gallons = 29x3.79 = 109.9 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 55 gallons = 55x3.79 = 208.5 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%
- 75 gallons = 75x3.79 = 284 grams of salt to increase salt concentration to 0.1%

If you need to raise salt to more than 0.1%, then you will want to dissolve and add the correct amount of salt to your tank 12 hours later, and so on.
If your tank is already in liters, than the size of your tank is the amount of salt you will need, in grams, to raise the salinity to 0.1% (a 750L tank will need 750 grams of salt to be at 0.1%).

4. The duration of salt use
Depending of the situation, you may be advised (or have elected) to salt your tank(s) anywhere from a few days up to a maximum of four weeks.

5. The consequences of prolonged salt usage
This question has been raised many times - if salt can be so beneficial, why not just keep it in the system for longer than four weeks? There are a couple of important reasons why salt should not be used for long durations. First, like any other treatment, prolonged exposure can lead to tolerance in the case of bacteria and other pathogens, and then salt is no longer effective. Unfortunately, this has already happened because of some very irresponsible breeders/farmers who have kept their fish at low levels of salt. A prime example of this flukes. Flukes used to be very treatable with salt. However, at present salt is no longer very effective against flukes, and we have to resort to other means, such as praziquantel.

Another reason why prolonged use of salt is discouraged is because chronic salt exposure could lead to development of what is called osmotic stress in fish. Fish experiencing osmotic stress may display the following symptoms: clamped fins, disequilibrium (unable to balance itself), excited behavior (darting), lethargic (floating), rapid breathing, faded colors, salt burns as evidenced by blackened areas, and fin fraying.

6. Salt for protection against nitrite. (edit by Shakaho 8/22/2017)  Whenever you have a nitrite reading above zero, you should add salt to protect the fish from nitrite poisoning.  It only requires 1 teaspoon of salt per ten gallons of water.  This will not lower the nitrite reading.  Maintain this salt concentration until the nitrite reads zero consistently.

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited August 22, 2017 by shakaho
to add information.

Opinions are made to be changed - 

How is it going?

Hi sorry for no update I hadn't even realised koko replied. I finished treating with fluke solve on Monday and the PH seems pretty stable now at about 7.2 and the KH seems to have raised by 1 unit but is taking time to increase. 

I used some hydrogen peroxide topically on the white rot as I had some on hand and wouldn't have to wait for it like I would have with the meth blue. However the white patch has now gone but the tail seems a little frayed where it was. No more spots have appeared and no new rot that I can see but I know they're desperate for more space. 

The bigger tank is pretty much ready i just need to add some oyster shells to the filter to help stabilise the PH.

Do you think I should transfer them to the new tank soon and treat with salt in the new tank? Or should I treat with salt first and then move them? 

Treat them in the smaller tank, it uses less salt :)

2-3 weeks, salt is a slower and more gentle treatment. It would take more time to see improvement but it won’t hurt them and there aren’t downsides to slightly longer treatment periods.

I decided to move the black Moors to the larger tank as there were live plants In their original tank and I didn't want to harm them with salt treatment. 

Their new tank is 26.5 gallons and I know this isn't ideal but is just temoray and a bigger step up from their previous tank,  until we move house. The tank also only contains some rock and is bare bottom so more practical for treatment and general maintenance. 

I added 100g of salt shortly after moving them in and have had this in 6 days. I did 25% water change today and they are much more active but there has been a new white spot on the bigger guy. I raised their temp back up to 26.5°c and I'm hoping I can add some more fluke solve on monday, to try another 3 week cycle.  I just want to make sure the salt i added to the water wont affect the treatment? 

If the prazi is liquid prazi (like hikari Prazipro) it seems as though salt makes it less effective, according to an old correspondence with the prazi rep.  But the powdered dry prazi seems unaffected by the presence of salt and works well in set water aquaria as well.

It's a powder so that's good. Should I continue to add salt when I do water changes while I'm treating for the white spot? 

Also, I'm pleased to say that their water now has a KH of 4 and a PH of about 7.4 and the parameters seem pretty stable now so I'm hoping after some treatment they'll be much happier :)