New 40 gallon tank

Rperez

I’m going to be setting up a new 40 gallon tank with 2 goldfish. Gonna be running an Aqua Clear 70 with this setup. However, the 70 has a flow rate of 300 gph, I need to make up for the remaining 100 gph needed for this tank size. Any suggestions on extra source of filtration to get sufficient amount of flow? Not really looking to buy a canister filter as second source because they seem over my budget for now. Maybe eventually but right now I’m just trying to get this tank cycled and ready. Thanks in advance 

Most of my tanks are overfiltered, but the fish are not complaining.  Nothing wrong with a sponge filter, cheap and easy to clean and run.  Very easy to adjust the flow rate with air valves.

Thanks. I was just looking into sponge filters but wasn’t sure how good they are. I might go ahead with this route and get an ATI hydro sponge 3 for starters

• Admin

My 40b tank has a AC70 and the Ac50 plus a sponge filter too. Fish are good with those filters.

I really like my sponge but you have keep an eye out that it's not overly dirty.

In that case would it be better to just get the AC110? More flow and it would do all the work needed. Or Would you recommend more than one filter for backup purposes?

• Admin
3 hours ago, Rperez said:

In that case would it be better to just get the AC110? More flow and it would do all the work needed. Or Would you recommend more than one filter for backup purposes?

:bingo: I have 3 filters. One for the fact I like to keep the bottom as clean of poop as possible. Two cause it keeps the tank from getting area's of stagnate water. And third for the back up filtering, if a filter goes out I have at least 1 to 2 back up filters so I don't have to panic if one does go out on me. 😄

13 hours ago, Rperez said:

Thanks. I was just looking into sponge filters but wasn’t sure how good they are. I might go ahead with this route and get an ATI hydro sponge 3 for starters

Sponge filters - kinda ugly looking, but they do an amazing job.  I have used ATI Hydro Sponges for years, I would lean towards the IV for a 40g tank.  Another option are cubefilters - they last you forever and provides greater bio capacity.  Better Box Filters, kinda of a hybrid between a sponge and the old style bottom filters.  I am using 2 of these, both in a 40g tank and I really like them.  Both are sold by Swiss Tropicals in North America.

Thanks. Never heard of them but I’m definitely gonna look into them. Great feedback from everyone. Trying to get this tank started up soon. Kind of a xmas gift to myself