Newbie questions

rhorizon74

Anyone use North fin goldfish and omega one goldfish, omega veggies. Was planning to use these as a standard sinking pellets. Wondering if anyone had advice about this.
Are there any fancies that might be more susceptible to swimming issues... on the 2 occasions in the past i have kept fancies, it worked for a year before the 2 fish (on separate occasions) got swim bladder issues.

I am sure there is something i must have done wrong, but I am trying to avoid that this time... adding a heater to keep temps at 74, trying to get the right food, under stock (2 or 3 fish only in a 60 gallon)
Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by rhorizon74
typo

• Admin
26 minutes ago, rhorizon74 said:

Anyone use North fin goldfish and omega one goldfish, omega veggies. Was planning to use these as a standard sinking pellets. Wondering if anyone had advice about this.

I haven't use those. I do use Fluval  bug bites with frozen blood worms. Also spirulina :)

26 minutes ago, rhorizon74 said:

Are there any fancies that might be more susceptible to swimming issues... on the 2 occasions in the past i have kept fancies, it worked for a year before the 2 fish (on separate occasions) got swim bladder issues.

I am sure there is something i must have done wrong, but I am trying to avoid that this time... adding a heater to keep temps at 74, trying to get the right food, under stock (2 or 3 fish only in a 60 gallon)
Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you

First thing goldfish do not need a heater unless you need to treat them for something. :)

I don't have heater in my tank and its been like that for 5 years. They are doing just fine :) Also goldfish need 20 gallons per fish and a filtration rate of 10x for HOB's and 5x for canister filters. Goldfish also do much better in short long tanks rather than the tall tanks. A lot of my other fish got SB cause I had the 55 gallon tall tanks and the 45 gallon tanks too. All are just to tall for the goldfish in my opinion. I have had these 2 for 5 years in a 40B and never seen a SB issue with them even with out a heater.

Thank you for the response... do you think a 60 gallon 4 foot tank is a non starter for goldfish. Coz then i need to look at plan B. 

I have a few 40 breeders... but in the fish room. Was planning to do 3, five inch thai orandas in the family room which has the marineland 60 that petsmart sells. 2 feet tall 4 feet long.

Also the heater was meant to hold the temp stable at 74 and reduce fluctuations... the temps fall to 68 in the night in winter.

• Admin
Thank you for the response... do you think a 60 gallon 4 foot tank is a non starter for goldfish. Coz then i need to look at plan B. 
I have a few 40 breeders... but in the fish room. Was planning to do 3, five inch thai orandas in the family room which has the marineland 60 that petsmart sells. 2 feet tall 4 feet long.
Also the heater was meant to hold the temp stable at 74 and reduce fluctuations... the temps fall to 68 in the night in winter.
60 Gallon Aquarium: 48 x 13 x 24 that's the dimensions of the 60 gallon. The height is a little to tall for the. The 40 b the height is almost the same as the width of the tank. I do believe the 100 gallons can be like that....i will look when my daughter gives me my Mac back lol.
You could to the double stack 40b tank. They do makes stands to hold 2 40bs.

The temp in my tank for now since its winter here runs about 64f during the day and about 60f at night. I don't have a heater in there. In fact I don't think I have a heater any more [emoji44]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Just chiming in here to say I use Omega One sinking goldfish pellets. I would say they would be fine to use as a staple. I usually give them Omega a few times per week. I prefer to use Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets for an every day staple because I can get a big bag of it for under $30 from my LFS and has slightly higher percentages of protein in comparison.

I haven’t used Omega veggies, I prefer to just use fresh stuff. Usually on water change days because they can be so messy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

Just chiming in here to say I use Omega One sinking goldfish pellets. I would say they would be fine to use as a staple. I usually give them Omega a few times per week. I prefer to use Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets for an every day staple because I can get a big bag of it for under $30 from my LFS and has slightly higher percentages of protein in comparison.

I haven’t used Omega veggies, I prefer to just use fresh stuff. Usually on water change days because they can be so messy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know I think I will try them next. I have seen it but never used it.
Thank you[emoji106]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk