Sign in to follow this  
Guest jr1246

Feeding Veggies

Guest jr1246

Can anyone give me advice on how to feed veggies to feed. I know I thaw them, shell the peas and then what. Do you just drop in a whole pea and squash it between your fingers. And lettus, how do you feed lettus. Do they take bits of the leaf or do you make tiny little bite size pieces.

:huh:

With peas and other 'solid' veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant etc., you either cut them up or mush them with your fingers into bite-sized pieces (personally I mush them) and then feed like you would any other food. Lettuce you can feed as a leaf clipped to the side of the tank using a veggie clip.

Oranges and other fruits can be dropped in as chunks - the fish will have a great time chasing them down and sucking them to death! :lol: Half a slice of orange seems to be about right for 3 goldies, as a rough guide. :)

Guest jr1246

That answers a lot and it sounds like fun. Is three times a week to feed veggies/fruits too much? Is there a rule? Having swim bladder problems with one so i'm throwning out the flakes.

Do they like freeze dried tubiflex worms. Got them at home for my bettas. Maybe the goldies will like it.

Guest craig

i feed mine peas and oranges once a week,my goldfish loves tubiflex worms also.

Guest laserblast

When I feed my baby peas I do the usual rinse, de-shell deal. I don't squash the them but rather try to get them to 'break' in half. They sort of do so naturally. My sweet Gillian likes 'em like this because they sink slowly like a pellet and she's able to suck them right into her mouth mid-tank. If she doesn't get them as they come down she picks at the rocks until she finds them. I prefer doing it this way rather than squashing as it seems to help with waste/portion control.

My fish love zucchini, spinach, broccoli, and peas. I cut raw zucchini and spinach into bite-size strips, cut the little buds off the broccoli (raw) and feed those, and thaw frozen peas under hot water, shell them, and break them into suitable-sized pieces for my guys. :druel

Guest Ceridwen

Mine like peas and squash. I tried lettuce but they didn't find that at all interesting, and spinach only marginally more so. I tried a bit of orange, but they completely ignored it unless I tore it into bite size pieces, demanding things they are!

by adding an orange or other acidic fruit wouldn't it lower the pH level? :huh:

that's wat I thgt too and I never fed fruit that is too acidic like oranges.. especially when the Ph of the tap water here is as low as 7.0-7.2 thus I dare not to take the risk..

so far, I only stick to vege, brocolli, peas, cucumber..

How about when your goldfish don't really get the concept of veggies?

For example:

The lettuce I clipped goes pretty much ignored for the most part, the broccoli is the same deal, and the peas are only really liked by one of the fish. I really want to get veggies into their diet, but they're so PICKY!

You can try soaking the veggies in some garlic juice before putting it in the tank to make it more enticing (also make sure veggies are adequately softened, sometimes mine ignore them if I haven't steamed them long enough). You could also try leaving it in the tank for a full 24 hours and not feed anything else (like pellets or gel food).... maybe they will get so desperate they will figure it out. Another thought is putting something on the clip that is super enticing, like a little piece of orange (I think sometimes they just don't get that the clip means food, so putting something irresistible that you wouldn't necessarily feed on a regular basis may teach them to check it out).

I would keep trying, but if it isn't working you could always make a veggie rich gel food that they should have no problem eating! There are some good recipes in the "food" section of the forum.

On a side note :) try not to "wake up" really old posts, it can get a little confusing (this one was started in 2004), and you may not get as many responses as if you just start a new one :) (no big deal of course though!!)

Edited by tithra