Sign in to follow this  
Marlene

Need help :(

Hello! I'm new to this so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. I have 2 comet goldfish which I have had for about 4 years. I have a 40 gal tank. I've been thinking about adding a new friend to their tank and well today was that day. Unfortunately, shame on me for not doing my research and trusting what I was told at the pet store. I was told that a Moor black fish would fit in just great since it was a goldfish. I noticed that at the time of feeding (flakes) my comets were a lot faster and my Moor was not as fast. That's when I did my research and discovered that their sight is not the best so they are a lot slower. The comets are not bullying my Moor but now I just feel terrible for putting him/her in that situation and I would hate to send it back to the pet store. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of continuing to feed my comets flakes and buying pellets for the Moor so that they can both eat. Any other tips would help! Should I just separate them? Also, since the Moor's sight is not that good, should the LED light on the tank stay on?  Thank you all!

Hi, I have had Moors and Comets together with no problems, but I feed sinking pellets and spread them around the tank so they all get time to look for them. 

But that said, we recommend 20g per fish, so I'd stick to the two comets in the 40g and move the Moor into a different tank if you can, even large storage totes make great makeshift tanks :)

And Welcome to Kokos!

Thank you so much! <3 My paranoia is making me stay up. I believe I have a 15g tank in my garage but I will have to check.  So happy to have found Kokos! You guys are awesome!

You're welcome! Feel free to ask any questions you may have :)

On 9/3/2019 at 11:31 PM, Marlene said:

Hello! I'm new to this so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. I have 2 comet goldfish which I have had for about 4 years. I have a 40 gal tank. I've been thinking about adding a new friend to their tank and well today was that day. Unfortunately, shame on me for not doing my research and trusting what I was told at the pet store. I was told that a Moor black fish would fit in just great since it was a goldfish. I noticed that at the time of feeding (flakes) my comets were a lot faster and my Moor was not as fast. That's when I did my research and discovered that their sight is not the best so they are a lot slower. The comets are not bullying my Moor but now I just feel terrible for putting him/her in that situation and I would hate to send it back to the pet store. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of continuing to feed my comets flakes and buying pellets for the Moor so that they can both eat. Any other tips would help! Should I just separate them? Also, since the Moor's sight is not that good, should the LED light on the tank stay on?  Thank you all!

:hi and :welcome

I would suggest maybe getting a tote with a filter for the Moor. Comets and Moors can live together. The issue here is that goldfish like @FishyMandy said they need atleast 20 gallons per fish to be happy. The longer tanks are the best for them 

Lights should only be on for about 8-12 hours a day.

How is the moor doing now? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this