Sign in to follow this  
Marlene

Need help!

Hello! I'm new to this so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. I have 2 comet goldfish which I have had for about 4 years. I have a 40 gal tank. I've been thinking about adding a new friend to their tank and well today was that day. Unfortunately, shame on me for not doing my research and trusting what I was told at the pet store. I was told that a Moor black fish would fit in just great since it was a goldfish. I noticed that at the time of feeding (flakes) my comets were a lot faster and my Moor was not as fast. That's when I did my research and discovered that their sight is not the best so they are a lot slower. The comets are not bullying my Moor but now I just feel terrible for putting him/her in that situation and I would hate to send it back to the pet store. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of continuing to feed my comets flakes and buying pellets for the Moor so that they can both eat. Any other tips would help! Should I just separate them? Also, since the Moor's sight is not that good, should the LED light on the tank stay on?  Thank you all!

Hi Marlene and welcome. Hope your moor is still doing ok.

I’ll give my two cents, and hopefully some more knowledgeable folks can pop in as well.

I wouldn’t recommend putting a fancy goldfish (ie fantails, moors, etc) in with single-tails for the reasons you’ve unfortunately had to learn the hard way! The fancies are typically slower, more delicate than comets (and also more expensive). Because of the sizes that comets can reach, I wouldn’t typically recommend them for strict indoor keeping. They do great in ponds and, boy, do they GROW.

Unfortunately I’m using my phone right now so I can’t produce links, but there are wonderful resources on this website to get you sorted. Please take some time to go through the recommendations and threads, there is a wealth of knowledge here from very experienced keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, since the Moor's sight is not that good, should the LED light on the tank stay on?  Thank you all!

Nope! Make sure to turn it off at night. They need to sleep, too :) I have a timer on my lights to mimic the sunrise and sunset where I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/3/2019 at 11:22 PM, Marlene said:

Hello! I'm new to this so I apologize if I am not doing this correctly.

:hi and :welcome 

I have 2 comet goldfish which I have had for about 4 years. I have a 40 gal tank. I've been thinking about adding a new friend to their tank and well today was that day. Unfortunately, shame on me for not doing my research and trusting what I was told at the pet store. I was told that a Moor black fish would fit in just great since it was a goldfish. I noticed that at the time of feeding (flakes) my comets were a lot faster and my Moor was not as fast. That's when I did my research and discovered that their sight is not the best so they are a lot slower. The comets are not bullying my Moor but now I just feel terrible for putting him/her in that situation and I would hate to send it back to the pet store. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of continuing to feed my comets flakes and buying pellets for the Moor so that they can both eat. Any other tips would help! Should I just separate them?

Those fish can live together, the issue would be is that 2 fish in the 40 gallon is good but adding another fish in there is a little to cramped for them. Im assuming that the comets are chasing cause there is a new fish plus not enough room now for them.

I would see if you can get a tote for the moor or a bigger tank.

Here is a great article from our member here on guidelines :) 

Also, since the Moor's sight is not that good, should the LED light on the tank stay on?  Thank you all!

Lights should only be on for 8-12 hours a day. They need to sleep like us and since they don't have eye lids they can't close there eyes to go to sleep. So turn it off after 12 hours max. Also try keeping the lights in that room off too when they are sleeping :) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this