Sign in to follow this  
Czi

Currently Treating my Lionhead Goldfish with Dropsy

(am editing the form currently but wanted to post right now)

Hi, I hope you can offer support or advice as we combat dropsy.  I've done as much research as possible but it would be nice for more opinions since I feel very alone and worried. ALSO please let me know if maybe you think Im treating him (or her) for no reason.  He didn't show any signs of pineconing and still doesnt.  Just a large belly.  See imaged.

Situation

8/23 - Noticed his belly was very large and round.  I assumed it was normal growth since him and the other fish started to grow and turn from brown to orange (like a growth spurt?). I think it was gradual but I didn't worry too much. I dont know the sex of this fish so I thought maybe it was pregnant.

image.thumb.png.b890370c552f12a4e9cb6033bc7efe03.png

image.png.611fd9537f28b5b4714940379dbc5b08.png

8/25ish - Put in quarantine tank.  When he was in the quarantine tank he was swimming fine and eating fine.  I gave him peas, had a water bubbler, 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt, bare bottom tank, same temperature water as the main tank. 

8/30 - Bought metroplex since I didn't know what I needed yet.  Just wanted to buy something before the store closed.  All water levels tested normal when I had it checked at the store.  Also the main tank tested normal too.  The water seems to be in good condition.  I added metroplex in the water, bloodworms, and a pea.  Later I learn that I needed epsom salt.

8/31 2am - I emergency ran to the store to get epsom salt and replaced all the water and added 1/4 tsp of epsom salt + 1 scoop of metroplex.  He has a hard time keeping upright at this point, so I try to flip him upright and tuck him behind a plant every now and then (I added a few java ferns to comfort him - maybe the shade is nice?). 

8/31 11am - I add a heater to the tank.  increasing the temperature every hour by 2 degrees.  I mixed kanaplex and focus with bloodworms for food.  I tried feeding him by hand but the worms would slip out.  I put him in a shallow bowl and used chopsticks to keep putting food in his mouth.  I think he swallowed some.  I sat there for a half hour putting food in his mouth and seeing him spit it up.  Hopefully the medicine works still since its all in the water.

Plan of Action

- hospital tank - bare bottom tank with no gravel (im using 10 gallons)
- high oxygen with air pump
- 80-85 degrees - increase 2 farenheight per hour
- epsom salt 1/4 teaspoon for 10 gallons - replace with every water change
- kanaplex - 1 scoop per 5 gallons - use 3 doses (min 10 day, max 14 days otherwise hurt kidney)
- oxolinic to treat for ulcers or fin rot (mine doesnt need this yet)
- Feed medicated food for 2 weeks ONLY (ingredients = metronidazole) Don't overfeed
- "kent garlic extreme" to stimulate appetite/make medicine less yucky
- 10 days swelling is gone - active and appetite back to normal
- 50-75% water changes every week or 100% water change every 36 hours - not sure what to do about water change since it would remove the medicine??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you need the info from the main tank.  The strips tested normal when I had the water checked at the pet store.  These hospital tank readings are with metroplex, kanaplex, epsom salt, javaferns  with a tiny bit of gravel attached to the roots, and some food debris in the tank (going to clean it up now).

NO2 - 05
NO3 - 20
KH - 40
Gh - 30

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API 5 in 1 test strips

* Water temperature?  

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? By the "size" of the filter we mean the gph/lph that it claims to turn over.

* How often do you change the water and how much? 

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size? You may give the weight of each fish or the length.  For goldfish, include the variety, and use (and indicate that you used) the standard length (sl) -- the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  You can estimate length. For example: 1 oranda, 3" sl, 2 pearlscales 1.5" and 2" sl.  For other species of fish that don't vary in tail length, you may use total length, from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail fin,  but please specify.  For example: 2 bristlenose plecos 3" tl 

* Water Conditioner Used in main tank:

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), Sinking Hikari pellets (purple bag) once per night.

* Any new fish added to the tank? If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones,  the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine.  No new fish.

* Any medications added to the tank? This includes any used recently or currently in the tank. Currently using Epsom salt, Metroplex, Kanaplex, Focus. Ordered some Hex Shield food that will arrive today.  I should feed him tomorrow with that.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  This can be a long answer if you have a sickly fish.  You can link to old D/D threads if we have advised on treatment before.

Only "medication" for the main tank I used was aquarium salt occasionally. 

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the bloating

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Was acting normal until I quarantined him

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photo of him when I noticed his belly being large

Edited by Czi

How long have his eyes been cloudy?  

As for water changes, redose the medication after 100% water changes, I do this daily or every two days to control ammonia. It uses more meds but is healthier overall.

And honestly, I don’t think it’s going to help much. He looks BAD.  Turning around dropsy at that point, where it looks like other organ systems are affected, is very, very difficult.

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

How long have his eyes been cloudy?  

As for water changes, redose the medication after 100% water changes, I do this daily or every two days to control ammonia. It uses more meds but is healthier overall.

And honestly, I don’t think it’s going to help much. He looks BAD.  Turning around dropsy at that point, where it looks like other organ systems are affected, is very, very difficult.

Thanks for replying.. he actually passed not too long ago.  I didnt think his health would drop so fast :(

I’m sorry.  Sometimes these things move swiftly and the fast moving symptoms are generally the fatal ones.  Slow onset, if it is treatable, tends to be the one that would respond.

So sorry you lost him :( It's always hard when things pop up and move so fast.