Sign in to follow this  
Zookeeper

What is this?

I just bought this fish from what I THOuGHT was a reputable aquarium/ fish supply store.  Had very good reviews and they have lots of exotic fish.  All we wanted were a couple of goldfish, but I wanted healthy ones, which is why I chose this store over someplace like a commercial pet store. I wasn't particularly impressed with the store when we got there, but it seemed ok; set up more or less like a pond store. .  

We have a 12 year old goldfish who just lost her two friends who were also old, and I wanted the new fish as companions for her.  After I got the fish home, I introduced them to the tank as we don't really currently have a way to quarantine anything.  I noticed this mark (or marks) on this fish yesterday.  I got the fish Sunday.  I think the mark on the right side of the face may just be normal markings.  I am not sure about what the white spot is on the left.  To me it looks like scale loss, but could it be ich?  Fungus?  Something else?  I am getting very nervous as since we have bought the fish (we bought another goldfish and a dojo loach) the store no longer answers their phone, and only answers emails every 24 hours IF you are lucky.  When I emailed them pictures of this fish they said they didn't get them and asked me to re-send, and that was almost 24 hours later.  They DID get them, if looking at my sent messages means anything, but I sent them again in two different ways just to be sure.  No answer since. 

The fish acts healthy, as they all do.  Very hungry; it's practically a feeding frenzy in there every time I feed them.  

We have had a healthy tank over the past twelve years I've had the three old fish I referred to above, with no problems at all. 

Help, anyone???

goldfishright.jpg

goldfish2.jpg

I’m out of the house right now but will be happy to help you :)

Please fill out this form in as much detail as possible so we can refer to the information in a standardized way we are familiar with.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Never mind, the fish store responded and they see nothing wrong.  I've only had this fish a few days.  

I don't need or have time to answer the other questions, as the remaining fish are and have been healthy. 

As I've said, I've had a healthy tahk for several years.  There have been no changes to the water parameters. 

thanks for your time. 

If you don’t have time to answer questions neither do we - sometimes the interactions between new fish and environments can be trickier than it appears, especially if there is a short quarantine or no quarantine period.  

If you decide you need more help than the fish store has provided just come back to this thread and fill out the form details, with some closeup pictures under bright light, and we will see what we can do.