Moors And Orandas

Guest ~*~Shannon~*~

Guest ~*~Shannon~*~

I have a male black moor, and a female calico oranda. Can I breed the 2 fish? I know someone bred a red&white fantail with a black moor and the fry looked really cute and were not deformed.

Shannon, you can breed goldfish with other goldfish breeds, yes. You might come up with some unique fish, maybe an oranda with telescope eyes, or a black moor with a little headgrowth....

As long as you have a male and a female, anything is possible. One of my comets out in the pond didn't even care if the girl he was chasing was actually a koi! :lol:

Guest ~*~Shannon~*~

ok I am going to try it them, I think it will be so cool to see what they look like! I was just asking cuz in one of my other posts I asked should I seperate my 2 breeding moors from my female orandas, and some one said I should because the fry woud be deformed, I didn't see how they would be, because a oranda s just a cross with a fantail and lion head!

Well, you will get deformities on some of the fry, that is just a natural thing. Maybe a few more in your case, since the parents are not one breed, but nonetheless you will have some unique fish!

Well, that depends on the kind of deformations. Most likely you will get some with crocked spins, they look like an "S" when viewed from above, thats normal and happens in every spawn. Then maybe some with only half dorsal fins, or little spikes where the dorsal should be.

Those kind of deformities is something that is not desirable in the fish, and the fry should be taken out and somehow euthanized. Its just a natural selection of the fittest, and to give those other perfect fish a better chance of more space, more food and a good life. Those deformed fish wouldn't be bought in a store either, so they don't have a very long life.

It can be hard at first to take them out, but think of the space and quality of water you will provide for the ones that are perfect in your eyes! ....)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pandatelescope

:o I think you should give it a shot.You could get a really cute group of chubby cheeked moors or you could get a batch of some deformed ones.No matter what they're yours babies to care and love.I would want a deformed one if the fin was a different shape or not if I had more room!!!

I hope your goldies do mate and make chubby cheeks!!!Good Luck!!! :D

Archived