I Think I Have A Pregnant Comet

Guest rascus

Guest rascus

<_< I have an outside pond here and i have too Comet's in it. When i bought these fish about 5 months ago they both looked the same. They are good sized fish, they are probably 6-7 inches long not including there tails. I bought these fish to just have in the pond as they are good at keeping the mosquito's down. The Pond has a waterfall into it and excess water exits atthe other end so the water level is kept constant and the water is quite aerated. I think the fish like the waterfall as they swim under it all the time. The pond has no plant life in it, it does have some large rocks and a pipe for them to hide in which they use all the time also. My Problem is: One of the fish about 6 weeks ago started getting a very fat belly and the other one has started to chase it and i mean really tailgate its every move. After reading some postings here on this site i believe i have a breeding pair and the fat one may be female with eggs. This fish has been fat for 6 weeks or so now with no change. How long does it take the females to dump their eggs? Currently it is half way into Autumn here does this make a difference. Is this fish holding on to its eggs to long or should i not worry. both fish seem quite happy and gladly swim around and both eat well! I am a complete idiot when it comes to goldfish so any insight would be aprreciated. Also do goldfish get to know people? Reason for asking is the pond is right outside my front door and when i go out there they come to the waters edge if saying hello or feed me. But if another person is there they don't. thye are almost like my dog, know who i am and that i feed them!

I know this is a bit long but i think i need some serious help.

Rascus

:hi Hi rascus! I am fairly new myself and I can't help you with your first question (how lon are they preg) but I can tell you that goldfish can tell who loves and owns them. My babies are learning to come to the top of the tank when they see me. CB automatically thinks he's getting fed everytime I go near them. I'm sure someone will be along to help you with the rest. Good luck.

Laurie

Rascus, :welcome !

A fish, especially a large comet like the one you have, can hold quite a load of eggs, sometimes close to a 1000. When the time comes, she will release them, especially if the male keeps chasing her. I have a 5 6 inch oranda female, which had a HUGE belly when I bought her 5 weeks ago, together with 3 other fish, 2 of them males. After I put them all in the pond, a few days later I found literally 100s of eggs clinging to the roots of the water plants. When I took the plants out into a smaller tank in hopes they would be fertilized, I estimated the number of around 500-600! Considering that I found those eggs around 11am in the morning, and the fish ate probably a whole bunch of them before I got to them, I would say for such a sized fish she held quite a lot.

I would give your comets time, I am sure she will release them soon!

Btw, its strange for me to think that you are having fall over there in Australia, since we are sitting here in the nice days of spring and enjoying the first blooms everywhere! :hi

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pandatelescope

when I read your post and heard autumn I clicked to read the date not remembering the time change.

If you have an extra tank you may want to put the comet female you think is pregnant and the male in the tank just incase she is.You don't want 3/4 of your eggs eaten by your other fish or if they do hatch in the pond without you knowing I know here you get un-wanted visitors stealing your babies.I've heard of racoons seen picking at peoples ponds.Like I said if you really think she may be you should put her and the male in a seperate tank if you have one.If not you don't have to but I have seen and heard from other people it's a lot easier.

I hoped I helped you some!!!

Archived