Sign in to follow this  
Coach P

Need help identifying red dots on multiple fish. New to this.

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) zero

Nitrite Level(Tank) zero

Nitrate level(Tank)  

Ammonia Level(Tap) unk

Nitrite Level(Tap) unk

Nitrate level(Tap) unk

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4ish 

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

Water temperature? 75

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 85gals 8months

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penn plex 1500 (450+ gals per hr) and 6 inch sponge filter 

How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 40%

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days 40ish%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 goldfish 3 to 5 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime. API stress coat, stability, and pristine as needed. 

What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega one pellets,  bug bites, dried tubix worms,  hikari pellets. Variety but mostly omega one.  Twice a day. 

Any new fish added to the tank? 2 goldfish about a week ago. Added 6 zebra nerite snails and 3 plants (first plants ever) 2 days ago.

Any medications added to the tank? 

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Ich x as directed about 4 months ago

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?   blood red spots started today

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  Acting pretty normal

70011.jpeg

Hello there!  Let’s see if we can help :)

Did you quarantine the new fish before adding?  Any other fish showing symptoms? 

Can you redo your nitrate tests and make sure you shake the snot out of them? In a cycled tank there should be some nitrates showing - can you try again?

Also a full tank shot will help too

I was only able to quarantine for a few days, they were my fish store (dallas north aquarium, for those in Dallas area) for over 2 weeks when I got them.  1 new fish has spot, 1 new does not.  2 existing fish have spots,  the third does not. 

These are pics of nitrate right now. 

70083.jpeg

Now a small white pin bone looking sliver is coming from a few of the bloody spots.  Thinking anchor worm? Thoughts? Thanks! 

14 hours ago, Coach P said:

Now a small white pin bone looking sliver is coming from a few of the bloody spots.  Thinking anchor worm? Thoughts? Thanks! 

Photo please if you can.

Those logs are the hollow? If so I would get them out. Goldfish produce more waste since they graze all day and are big fish. Orniments like that will hold water and become stagnate over time. Unless you have a bubbler in them or wash them ever few days they aren't good for them.

That would be my fist thing to do. I want to see what @Arctic Mama has to say👍

Agree we need closer photos of those spots, and the lack of quarantine time makes anchor worm a distinct possibility.  Their life’s cycle varies wildly based on temperature, but inside of a month is completely possible if the tanks aren’t running above 80 degrees.

I’d say that’s showing some trace nitrate, but it’s definitely low.  And you shook the snot out of both bottle 2 AND the tube, right?  30 second shake on the bottle and then a minute of shaking/inverting on the tube?