I've Got 2 New Members...

eather.hey

I did it. I was in the neighborhood of one of my favorite petstores and I thought I would stop by...just to look. Well, with "pond season" upon us, Elmer's Aquarium in Pittsburgh has a HUGE selection of koi and "pond goldfish" (not many fancies right now, for a change.) But anyway, they had 3 or so tanks full of shubunkins of all sizes. The 2-4 inch size shubunkins were only $1.49 a piece! So, I stared at them for about 20 minutes trying to decide on which one I wanted. I picked a mainly black and white one that's kinda blueish. Very pretty. He has one black eye and one white eye. So I get one of the people to help me and he some how he found the fish I'd picked and put him in the bag. Then out of no where I tell him to pick out one that he thinks is pretty and I'll take that one too. So he picks one that he likes that has every color in the goldfish rainbow on it. He shows me the bag and I look at the 2nd fish. The 2nd fish is cool! She is mainly orange and black on one side, and mainly orange and white on the other side. So depending on which direction she's swimming in, she looks like a completely different fish. After getting them home I noticed that the 1st one has breeding spots on his cheeks and he was chasing the 2nd one around. So it looks like I randomly got a male and a female that might be interested in breeding. Cool, huh? After getting home I realized that that 2nd fish makes me 1 overstocked too. I really wasn't thinking, was I? Looks like I'll be in the market for another tank someday soon! Yikes...this is how it all begins huh? Sorry I don't have a digital camera to post pictures...that's gonna be my next purchase, promise.

Any ideas for names? I don't really name all of my fish, but this pair deserves a name!

I am so not good with nameing fish. None of my fish have names! :lol: Pretty bad, I know. I am good at naming anything else though.

Congrats on your new fish! B)

LOL Youre awful!! Im not even supposed to go in the fish department of pet stores anymore. (Well, other than my own. Im not allowed to have more goldies so I just keep adding to my tropical tank, like I did tonight!!) Anyway they sound so beautiful! I just love shubunkins! My oldest goldfish is Meeko, who I bought as a baby 2 years ago. Theyre so addicting! I think I almost like them more than fancies. (Shh!) Im not so good on the names. I had Meeko for about a week without a name, then I saw the name Meeko on a pet name site and thought it fit him! I would say just watch them for awhile and see if they have any characteristics or anything that stand out.

For your female, you could call her Tiger since she is orange and black on one side. Or Sherbert since she is orange and white on the other. Or? TigerSherbert! :rofl

Most of my fish don't have names either. Only the ones I've adopted that came pre-named (Nugget, Ling-Ling, and Star). And I call my blue oranda "Bleu." I was thinking of naming the male shubunkin "Bandit" since it looks like he has one black eye. Or "Petey" after the dog in The Little Rascals ( I think the dog's name was Petey!)

Archived