Butterfly Telescope With Swim Bladder Disease

neto333

Hi, recently i got a new goldfish. It was the first time that i get a goldfish that is not from my city, so the shipment was not easy and he arrived very stressed. The first few days he was at the bottom of the tank and very lethargic. It took a full week before he got better and start eating well again and stop the bottom sitting and the fast gasping. However i have noticed that he has some swim problems, i have been giving peas for the last 3 days (is not the first time that i have swim bladder problems with one of my godlfish, however always giving them peas seem to fix the issue) and havent seen any improvement. 
He is in a 120 litter tank (the heater that you can see in the video is off). Amonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 5-10. https://youtu.be/P7wsX7-CTSg

• Admin
15 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

How deep is the tank?

I would try putting him in a large but very shallow tub and feeding duckweed. 

Thats what I was going to post :thumbs: 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:54 PM, koko said:

How are we doing

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Hi, i wasnt able to put him in an smaller tub and gave him some duckweed, however because of the swim bladder problems he wasnt able to ate the duckweed at the top, so im still feeding peas every 2 days .i also raised a little bit the temperature and i think is getting better. Here is a video of him eating and looks more stable.

Edited by neto333

22 hours ago, koko said:

The duckweed is the perfect food for goldfish. I would still let him try and eat it. 

Hi, the duckweed is still there but he has troubles eating it because most of the time he is at the bottom of the tank. What do you think about epson salt baths? I heard they help with swim bladder problems.

• Admin
On 7/27/2019 at 7:39 AM, neto333 said:

Hi, the duckweed is still there but he has troubles eating it because most of the time he is at the bottom of the tank. What do you think about epson salt baths? I heard they help with swim bladder problems.

That stuff will help with getting rid of fluids out of the fish. I don't think it will do much here.

The best thing for the fish is a long and shallow container. This way the fish doesn't have to struggle to get to the top.

The container Koko recommends is an underbed storage box like this one.

If you can't find a similar box, empty your aquarium, discard the gravel, and put in 6 inches of clean water.  Change 50% of the water daily.