Sign in to follow this  
Caretta Rose

Looking lumpy and pine coney

My orange and white (used to be calico) goldfish, aka Tweedle Dum, has been looking a little lumpy lately. I probably first started to notice a week or so ago. Looking more lumpy/humpy than usual, almost like it's been inflated like a balloon. There is now a small hump behind the head and before the dorsal fin. The scales on the body are also noticeably spread out and kind of protruding, looking like pine coning. I can feel the bumps of the scales when the fish is in my hand.

Still eating normally and swimming, not distressed. This is my sensitive fishy who gets floaty when eating very excitedly. Haven't had any serious cases of floating lately. They just had a 3 day fast while I was away for the long weekend, and still looking lumpy. I'm a bit concerned.

Videos here: 

https://vimeo.com/345963169

https://vimeo.com/345960246

EDIT: They were just fed when I took the video, that's why it's "gulping"/chewing like that.

Edited by Caretta Rose

Oh yikes!  That’s not a good sign at all, when the swelling has moved all the way up behind the gills.

We can try to treat after you fill out the diagnostic form, but truthfully reversing illness that has dropsy progressing to that point is rare.  The organ damage is often just too severe.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I was hoping I wasn’t going to get a response like this This poor fishy has been through a lot with sensitivities.

He is still acting normally. I’m almost considering euthanizing before it gets worse. I was really hoping at this point that maybe it’s a female and has eggs, but I know deep down that’s not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s up to you, if you want to try and treat go ahead and fill out the form, but if you just want to keep him comfortable you can do epsom salt for a little while until you see more symptoms, then euthanize.  

It’s up to you, if you want to try and treat go ahead and fill out the form, but if you just want to keep him comfortable you can do epsom salt for a little while until you see more symptoms, then euthanize.  

Thanks Taryl.

I’ve been stewing on this overnight and into today and I’m more upset about it. And also for the other fish for losing their only tank mate.

I will do the water tests when I get home from work today. I have a good supply of kosher salt, but not epsom. Do you recommend using epsom over the other? I can pick some up on my way home if needed.

Epsom salt is the best for trying to keep them comfortable. 

I'm sorry she isn't doing well :(

On 7/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Oh yikes!  That’s not a good sign at all, when the swelling has moved all the way up behind the gills.

We can try to treat after you fill out the diagnostic form, but truthfully reversing illness that has dropsy progressing to that point is rare.  The organ damage is often just too severe.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank): 0 ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank): 0 ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank): 20 ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap): 0 ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0 ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap): 5-10 ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines):  8.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines):  7.8 

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Freshwater Master Test Kit Drops

* Water temperature? 26 Celsius (78.8 F)

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons; August 4 2018

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX6

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every 3 weeks, about 50-70% based on water parameters (my filter is overkill).

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1.5 weeks ago, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Two, approx. ~6 inches

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime each wc

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Various foods, once per day. Fast one day per week. 1) Hikari lionhead mini-pellet (staple), Omega One sinking goldfish pellets (occasional), assortment of fresh leafy greens (mainly kale or spinach) once per week, frozen bloodworms (once per week)

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salted tank in January to treat white bumps on tail fin of fish in question

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pine coning

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Behaving normally, just looking like a pine cone :(

I think we posited the bumps on the tail could be viral and honestly, given that this is the same fish I’d be inclined to think it could be organ damage or a flare up of that same virus, due to stress or tank conditions (that nitrate is too high, though not enough to cause acute toxicity it could certainly cause longer term issues).

I’ve had something similar happen in my own fish - one who was very sensitive to water parameters and would get pop eye or tattered fins on a regular basis if anything slipped beyond about 10 ppm nitrate.  He eventually ended up with dropsy and dying, after about two years of this cycle of weird fluid retention every six months or so.  He was also my fish who had survived a bad bout of columnaris when I first got him, so I just figured he had long term delicate health that was easily exacerbated, until he couldn’t bounce back anymore.

If it is viral, it won’t respond to antibiotic treatment.  But you *could* try kanamycin or oxytetracycline and see if it does help, in which case you’re looking at something like aeromonas causing the bloat instead.  

I’m so sorry you’ve stuck with bad choices all around - whatever you choose, do put in 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt per ten gallons of water to help lessen the internal fluid in the fish a bit while you decide.  Regular aquarium salt will actually make it worse.

I don't think I'll medicate, but I will treat with salt. I've picked up some epsom salt today. Do you recommend that I separate into a rubbermaid and treat with the salt in there or can this go in the main tank?

The bumps disappeared with less frequent and dramatic water changes. I was stressing the poor thing out. Now it seems nitrates might be another added stress. So its one over the other! Such a shame and so delicate. 

This fish has had a lot of stress. Body shape/breeding is likely the culprit, I tried to be careful when selecting. Very floaty, sensitive to foods, sensitive to wc's, and now sensitive to nitrates? The other fish has never had a problem except for an odd tear in the caudal fin one time that healed on it's own in a week.

Edited by Caretta Rose

You can put the epsom in the main tank without harm, just dissolve it into a cup of warm water first.  At that concentration it won’t harm the other fish.

I really appreciate the help.

I'm going to go back to weekly wc's but with less volume and try to keep the nitrates at a lower level. I'll keep you updated.

3 hours ago, Caretta Rose said:

I really appreciate the help.

I'm going to go back to weekly wc's but with less volume and try to keep the nitrates at a lower level. I'll keep you updated.

Do you have some terrestrial plants rooted in there, like Pothos?  Those are much better nitrate sponges than aquatic plants and could help you keep that number down as well :)

Do you have some terrestrial plants rooted in there, like Pothos?  Those are much better nitrate sponges than aquatic plants and could help you keep that number down as well

Oh yes, I’ve got a lot of pothos! I’ll get some back in the tank.

Should I increase epsom salt over time? I’ve added 1/4tsp per 10 gallons.

Nope; concentration stays steady.

Looking worse, all scales on the body are now raised. It looks uncomfortable to me. He is still eating and otherwise behaving normally, but we are definitely a full blown pine cone at this point.

I’m sorry :( it’s getting to that decision point.

That's the hard part. I would also look at the tank and see what could or might have caused this issue. Sometimes just a plant might be holding gunk. I had this issue about 3 weeks ago. 😯

When I get home, I will do another water parameter test and see where we’re at.

So I did a water test on the 10th

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20

I’m going to do about a 20% wc tonight. Still behaving normally, eating, swooping through bubbles, alert/active, but still swollen.

Okay; still looks good and nitrates are what they are.  I still would euthanize instead of treat, TBH.  But if you want a treatment regimen just ask.  I know there are differing opinions on the topic of treating advanced dropsy.

I will be euthanizing, likely within the next few days.

Can someone refer me to the method? I have clove oil.

By @Helen 😁

*gentle hugs*