Gold Fish In A Bowl

Guest Frosh

Guest Frosh

I recently won a Comet Gold Fish from a Fair. I learn it was a comet from this site, thanks...and I know its not good to not have 10 gallon of water per fish, but right now, at my current place, which I will move in 3 weeks, I was wondering what I can do to keep it alive till 3 weeks then I can get a tank, and how much to feed, I feed 4 pellets today, and wonder how often to change the bowl water, and the food?> and what else I might do to keep it alive as long as possible...

Change the water daily, maybe 50%? But do not do 100% changes. Be gentle and add water conditioner at the same time as changing the water. 4 pellets a day should be max, as less feeding = less waste = water won't get as bad as fast.

Good luck!

Instead of the bowl do you have something like a 5 gallon bucket that hasn't had any soap or household cleaning materials in it?? Or better yet can you invest in a rubbermaid tub. Anything larger will be better then the bowl you have your fish in. For the mean time you don't have a filter, change 30% of the water very frequently making sure that you put water conditioner in the untreated water. Also since your bucket, tub, or bowl is not cycled pay attention to your water parameters. If you don't have one already get suggest you get a water test kit so that you can test for ammonia, nitartes, and nitrites. High ammonia and nitrites can kill you fish fairly quickly.

Good luck with the fish.

Get a large bucket from your kitchen or bathroom or garage or where ever and clean it well with water...do not use soap...or if you do...make sure you rinse it very very well. Fill it up with H20 and let it stand overnight. Next day, place in your lil gf. :lol: He/she'll be fine. You could put water conditioners and such but for me, it's not really a must if you're just trying to keep it alive. Maybe, when you get the chance to get those water conditioners, you could buy them, but you don't have to hurry. Good luck...

a largeish tub would be best for your fish. there is more surface area for gas exchange but a bucket would be 10 times better than a bowl. also, are you soaking the pellets bofore you feed your fish? if they are not soaked they can cause major health problems. only feed what he can consume in 2 mins once a day or this will produce excess waste and will cause the ammonia to rise and you fish will suffer more health problems.

how are you moving your fish? i moved a couple of years ago with 15 fish. the best way is to put it in a bag with a bit of water (just enough to cover the fish) and lots of air. its best to double bag it too. if you are going for more than 2-3 hours it is best to stop half way and open the bag to replace the oxygen that has been consumed. hope this helps. :) good luck with the move and everything. :goodluck welcome to kokos! :welcome

if i were you i'd do this: buy a rubbermaid bin for $2. then i'd buy a filter the size fit for the tank you will be buying in a few weeks ($15-30). then in a few weeks, go to nnnnnn and buy just the tank for about $15 (i think..it shouldnt be that much cause its only 5 peices of glass, lol) and then your filter will already have bacteria in it, and you will have a hospital tank/bin for your fish if you've got more than one in your tank and need to isolate the sick one. make sure to rinse out the bin well before you put the water and fish in because you never know whats been floating around those places! good job on coming here and learning! good luck!

Guest Frosh
4 pellets a day should be max, as less feeding = less waste = water won't get as bad as fast.

ok...now I know to soak the pellets before feeding, I hope he doesn't starve to death with 4 pellets a day...I'm new at this, and scared that it might die, I want to keep it for as long as possible...Is 4 pellets a day enough, do I need to break that for pellets into 3 meals?>

This fish is also active, it likes to move around alot...even though the bowl is small...I'm afraid it might lose alot of oxygen...Sitting here watchinging it swimming around...so when it comes to the top of the water, does it mean it lacks oxygen?

It's like a 2 hour ride, might move by bowl, by risky with water. How did you move it by bag, a zip-lock bag you mean?>

Thanks for all that have help me...

Guest PeachesCat

4 pellets are fine. Don't worry. He won't starve to death! If you want, give peas once or twice a week to prevent constipation and swim bladder.

Guest Ceridwen

Move by bag means like a bag you get from the fish store that you bring the fish home in or like the one he was probably in when you won him at the fair. In fact, if you go visit a fish store near you, they will probably give you a bag for free. He should be fine in the bag for 2 hours, and that way you cannot spill water all over your car ;)

If it's coming to the top a lot, then yes, it means he needs oxygen. If its just every once in a while, he may just been goofing around.

If all you will be able to afford is a ten gallon tank, you really might as well get it now, it's not that hard to move a tank that size as Lovely said, and even w/o a filter, the fish will be much happier in that much water.

If on the other hand, you can afford a bigger tank (15-20g would be better since he is a single tailed goldie and not a fancy), I would try to get a rubbermaid to hold you over and then buy a bigger tank when you get home. Past ten gallons they start to be a bit more of a pain to move.

Don't worry, he won't starve on 4 pellets a day, and until you can get him into at least a 10 gallon tank, its probably better for him, since then he will not be able to as quickly surround himself in ammonia. My fish are currently entering a 2 day fast as they will be going on an 8 hour trip when I go home on Tuesday, and a couple of months ago, they made it through spring break fine with no feedings, in fact they looked quite healthy and happy when I got back. Many people also fast their goldies one day a week to help discourage constipation.

Guest Frosh

I know I should only replace 50% of the water daily, but I can't, How would I clean out all the doo doo?> Right now I use two cups, one cup that has been out for 24 hours, and another for the fish to swim in for the quick clean of the bowl, then I add the 24hour water to the bowl, and put back the fish...I know this startles the fish...Any other ideas...It's not the idea I don't want to buy a tank, I will just not now...in 3 weeks...

Now the fish seems to be worn out or something, it's probably adjusted to the environment, its staying at the bottem of the bowl...

I see cooked Peas and Frozen Peas are ok...I'll try to find some Peas...

I'm excited about this Fish... :P

I know I should only replace 50% of the water daily, but I can't, How would I clean out all the doo doo?>

All you need do to clean out the poo is use a gravel siphon. :) These look like a round clear plastic tube, with a long clear plastic hose attached - you can get one from any pet store and they're very very cheap. Stick the round end in the water and suck on the other end to start the siphon movement flowing (the water will move through the tub by itself once you get it going). Quickly put the end of the hose in a bucket or sink. Now move the round end around at the bottom of the bowl and you'll see all the poo is sucked up and out together with the water. When half the water is gone, simply put some more back in using a jug or bucket. Make sure the new water is exactly the same temperature as what's in the bowl (fish don't like big temperature changes) and that you de-chlorinate it first, as the chlorine in our tap water is poisonous to fish. You can do that every day with no problem. :)

But the other posters are right: a 10-20 gallon tank is quite small and cheap, and your goldfish will be SO much happier in one of those. Bowls are just too small for them. :)

Guest Frosh

I put some aqua salt, says its good for goldfish, and it helps take out chlorine, and puts electro?...and also put some clear gel that does about the same thing, the fish is now less active, and staying at the bottem of the bowl, still alive...clean water...and everyday when I put in four pellets, and every so often the fish surface up like I was gonna give more pellets...and sometimes it stays there like shaking it's tail, is that normal?>

Hi Frosh and :welcome

It sounds to me like your fish is feeling pretty stressed from the cramped living area and from all the new water. I don't think he's feeling too good, since he's staying at the bottom of the bowl. I would move him to larger living conditions very quickly, today if you can. With the way things are now, he might get even more sick, like get some parasites called Ick, and that can be very difficult to get rid of when a tank is new, and can kill a fish. I lost one of my first fish to Ick, and she lived in a big 20 gallon tank even.

Good luck to you :)

Guest kerri_corbett

Frosh, I know all this advice can be confusing. I am not an expert but I have gone through a similar situation as you have. If the bowl is really little, then you can put you fish in something else for the meantime. If you bowl is decent sized just keep him in there until you move. If you don't have a siphon to clean the junk out of the water what you can do is this. When you pour out the old water, the poo will usually stay in the bowl until last, so pour half of the water in with the new water, and then clean the bowl out. Then pour the new (plus old) water back into the bowl. To take your fish out you can Scoop him out with a little tubberware and have him sit in there while you clean out the bowl. This way he is in his same water and putting him back in the bowl there will still be 50% old water so he should be ok. The nice thing about getting a tank is that it is easier to keep clean. However, I know they are kind of costly and I'm sure your parents are quickly learning how exspensive gf can be. Good luck with your fish. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help! :goldfish :welcome

Guest Frosh

I sorta keep 15% of old water that's because the fish is in it, that's not much in such a small bowl, The site says to keep 50%-75% of old water, but is it that bad to change 100% of water like Lovely_Goldfish said...It's active when I get close to it or movement, and when I get ready to put food in, the fish comes to the top every so often...

ok...now I know to soak the pellets before feeding, I hope he doesn't starve to death with 4 pellets a day...I'm new at this, and scared that it might die, I want to keep it for as long as possible...Is 4 pellets a day enough, do I need to break that for pellets into 3 meals?>

i wouldnt go on how many pellets per day. feed as much as he can eat in 2 mins once a day. then if there is any left over, scoop it up with a net and youre done. less mess too. keep us posted :D

Guest izgoblin

Definitely keep an eye on his inactivity!!!

Before I came here and knew anything, my poor first bubble eye died after 5 days of being in a 5 gallon tank with two other fish. Granted, I was way overcrowded and overfeeding, but he died of nitrite poisoning, and the day before he left us, he slowed down something fierce. If only I had known what I was doing...

Keep the food to a minimum and the water changes up. You should definitely get a test kit too since you're gonna need one. If your ammonia and nitrite are high, you have to correct that FAST.

Good luck!!!!!

Guest tooterfish

hi frosh,

i am late at answering this post, and you have recieved alot of good advice on care and keeping of your fish.

i just wanted to tell you of my own experience with my fish in a 1 gallon bowl.

I bought my son a feeder fish and a 1 gallon bowl for his second b-day, so he could be just like Elmo from sesame street, we even named our fish Dorothy.

The first few days, dorothy didnt move off the bottom of the bowl. I thought for sure she was a gonner, i promised her that if she lived, i would do everything i could to keep her happy. (i realize now, that her initial problem was her trying to adjust to my pH)

Dorothy lived. And i kept my promise. i kept a 1 gallon water jug always filled and sitting (to get rid of the chlorine and to come to room temp)

i would scoop her into a small plastic cup (labelled so i wouldnt wash it) and rinse the entire bowl. Her bowl had a small amount of gravel on the bottom and i would run it under the tap until all the gook was gone and the water ran clear.

i'd then wipe the insides with a paper towel, rinse one last time, then fill the bowl with the aged water, then plop her back in. I'd then refill the jug to sit out again.

when she was very little, i did this every other day, and she grew. because she grew, her bowl got dirtier faster and i was cleaning her bowl everyday. (taking her out rinsing it clean, plopping her back in) And she grew some more. When she was dirtying her bowl so that i had to clean her twice in 24 hours, i went out and got a 2gallon bowl and did the same thing. Except now i had 2 gallons of water sitting out. (I kept them under my sink, out of the way) She grew accustomed to going into her cup, and knew that when she was back in her bowl, she would get fed.

in her 2 gallon bowl, at first, i was cleaning her every other day, she grew, then cleaning every day, it only took a few minutes to clean the entire thing, and if i didnt have the time to do an entire, i would do partial water changes. She grew, i got a 3 gallon mini tank, she grew more, and i put her into a 7 gallon tank, she was still growing and is now in a 20 gallon tank all by herself (she's been in this new tank for just over a month)

my dorothy is now 2 and a half years old and is 6inches (head to end of tail)

she had gotten ich once but i noticed it right away, treated, and it went away other than that, she has never had any other illnesses. i just knew she needed clean water, and thats what i made sure i did.

i only found Koko's website in mid-march (i had a little fantail that got an infection from a scratch), i found so much information here and the members are wonderful.

we each have our own opinions and experiences, but if you ask me if a goldfish can live in a bowl... i would say yes, as long as there is ALWAYS clean water, AND the size of your container increases when your fish does. (i figure i have about a year and dorothy will be moving into a 46gallon tank :) shes still growing)

Good luck with your new friend!

-Tooterfish

Archived