Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Bettas And Floatiness

Today was water change day since the bettafix treatment was over. All of the bettas got 100% water changes, since I don't use a filter, I couldn't just throw carbon in ;o) and do a small change.

Anyway, water was the same water I always use, temperature matched, de-chlorinated.

A bit after I added the bettas back in, I noticed something seemed wrong with Rainbow.

YUP, he was floatie. He would try to swim to the bottom and then Booooiiing, up he would pop right to the surface. He flipped over in a summer sault a few times, and seemed to be getting worse. Finally he could not even make it down to the bottom, he was just floating at the top.

Rainbow is my daughters fish and she was very sad.

I told her he might die, I know that is mean, but I thought that he might, I didn't want her to wake up to an empty bowl tomorrow and be unprepared. We are a funny pair, standing in the kitchen crying over a betta. Hubby said he would take us to the petstore if he didnt' get better, that made the crys turn into wails...

We got out the peas, and fed him part of one, and hoped for the best.

A few hours later, he was swimming around normally *whew* *wipes sweat from brow*.

So my questions to you are:

a) is floatiness common?

B) does it kill bettas

c) how did it most likely happen?

d) will it happen again?

and maybe most importantly

e)how do I avoid it

f) how do I treat it?

Thanks a million

Jessica

Guest Ceridwen

I don't know that floatiness is common in bettas, but I do know that constipation is, and as we know from goldfish, the two can be related. I'm not sure how to prevent it, as bettas are carnivores, not omnivores like the goldies (ie peas don't tend to get eaten). You might try fasting once a week and making sure not to overfeed them (this is what I do with mine, I had one get constipated once before that, not at all since).

I agree with Ceridwen that floatiness in bettas is generally thought to be constipation and diet related.

Some bettas will eat peas. They should be cooked a bit, and then cut into tiny pieces. You can stick a small piece on the end of a toothpick and put that into the water so that the betta can see it and he may be willing to eat it. I have also had luck with my bettas eating the homemade gel food that I make for my goldfish. It is made with a cup of vegetables, half of which are peas, plus a 1/2 can of tuna. So, I think they like the taste because of the tuna.

Also, frozen bloodworms are good for constipation and are somewhat laxative, I think. Hikari brand bloodworms are sterilized, so they would be the recommended choice. Again, you can offer these on the end of a toothpick so the betta sees them. If the betta has only eaten pellets before, the bloodworms should be introduced gradually. Only one at a time. Too rapid a change in diet isn't too good for anyone :)

BTW, I use the rounded end of the toothpick because some of my boys lunge at their food.

Also, I have compared the ingredients in the popular brands of pellets and I have chosen to feed HBH Betta Bites because they have a higher fat and moisture content, and I think that would be less likely to cause constipation. Also, they are extremely tiny, almost like a crushed pellet, so less likely to swell to any size in the stomach.

Hope this helps, and I am so glad that Rainbow is back to normal.

Thanks! Yes it was constipation, I guess I should have said that instead of floatiness, well it made him floatie! ^_^

For food, he eats HBH betta bites, and I've recently started soaking them beforehand, and using a dropper that came with a test kit, to put them in the water near the betta. (Toothpick is a good idea!)

He eats freeze dried bloodworms, are those bad for him?? He only gets them once or twice a week, sometimes he doesn't get any for a week, I don't have a schedule for them.

I will look for the frozen ones. My LFS does carry Hikari :wub:

Touchofsky, last night when Rainbow was floatie, I thought to myself "tomorrow I am making TOS's gelfood recipe" my daughter thought that was too funny, to prepare food for the fish ;)

No wonder he was floatie, I used a turkey baster to clean the gravel in his bowl today (he had a 100% change yesterday) so I knew if I found any waste it was probably from after he was floatie. Not to get crude....but what I found, no wonder he was floating!!! :rofl Yikes!! Poor fish.

All of my bettas will eat peas, as I found out yesterday! Is that bad for them? Or can I give them little peice of a pea once a week or so.

They only get about 4 maybe 5 little HBH pellets per feeding, and I usually feed them twice.

Does that sound ok.

Thank you so much Ceridwen and Touchofsky.

Jessica

whew! im glad your little guy finally pooped. i hope he doest have any stretch marks! :rofl seriously though, i was a little worried for you and your daughter (about the possibilities of him dying). btw, do you soak your food before feeding? :unsure:

Thank goodness, Jessica, that Rainbow's problem has passed (excuse the bad pun :lol: )

I have read that freeze dried bloodworms can be constipating, so I would switch to the frozen ones for his treats.

Your feeding schedule sounds fine, and it is OK to give bettas peas once per week, just like we do for our goldfish :D

Ever since my Azule became constipated, all my bettas get only peas on Saturday and nothing on Sunday. Instead of using a toothpick, I use a Q-tip with the fuzzy( ;) ) part cut off.

Guest celebr8monkeyday

That just happened to poseidon also! Right now hes better, but he keeps goign back and forth. I haven't fed him in two days so tomorrow I'll give him a pea and hopefully that will work. I hope yours doesn't go back and forth like poseidon! But if he does, you should put a plant that curves or a cave or somthing that he can stay under.