Goldfish Behavior

Nyxa2019

I've had my goldfish for about 10 years now.  I've always noticed a behavior they do and finally wanted to get an answer.  First I want to say I know my tanks to small now that I've been doing research because for the first time in the 10 years I had sick fish about a month ago.  They have all recovered phenomenally.  I have since gotten my water parameters in order because that was part of the problem.  They are perfect now and I do weekly maintenance to accommodate the tank being to small.  I have been off due to a work related injury(part of the reason they got sick I was unable to perform maintenance properly) so I will be upgrading the tank once I get back to work.  Anyways to my question... is it normal for for them to group in a perfect line in the middle and near the bottom and seem to be looking at the plants.  They have done this since I can remember just wonder if it maybe something I'm missing.  Pictured here

• Helper

Do they swim around as well or generally just hang out at the bottom?

Goldfish do like to do some floating, but too much floating listlessly instead of swimming can be an indicator of stress.  Sometimes they will also do it to hide from current, but it can be that there’s too little current, too.  It kind of depends.  Could you take a video?

Yes I can take a video I'll try to add one.  They swim around most of the time but there are intervals throughout the day they line up like that. Sometimes it's the bottom sometimes the middle. They usually arent still though when they do it.  Current should be decent as I over filter the tank and they are back hanging filters and I dont over fill the tank.  I have a tetra whisper for 40 to 60 gal and a marine 20g on the tank.

It's a tall tank, right?  They probably need more oxygen.   If the tank is taller than 18"  you should use surface area rather than volume to determine stocking level.  You should have 2 square feet of surface area per goldfish.   

A shallow tub, like an underbed storage tote,  allows superior gas exchange and lots of swimming room.   Exercise is good for them.  With a decent filter and a good water change schedule you can easily keep 4 goldfish in a tub like that in the link.  

Yes it's taller it's a 44g pentagon tank so it's not tiny but not quite big enough for all of them. I have  air items set up but dont use them all the time right now I didnt want to over do the oxygenation.  Theres alot of surface agitation just from the filters.  

Edited by Nyxa2019