Sign in to follow this  
troy.telford

I think I goofed (anchorworm)

So, I got a new fish. Wasn’t totally careful about examining him, but I had been to most of the stores in the area, and beggars can’t be choosers sometimes.

Before I got him home, I noticed the fish had two visible anchor worms.

No biggie... quarantine, treat...

So, the fish was soaked in a 25mg/l potassium Permanganate solution for 30 minutes. He was starting to look stressed when I pulled him out.

Next I put him in clean fresh (dechlorinated) water to recover for 10-15 minutes. I then carefully pulled out the two visible anchor worms. Got the whole thing both times.

Now he’s in the hospital tank, has clean water. I put in a dose of API General Cure, which supposedly kills the parasite (Metronidazole and Praziquantel)

Hospital tank is fresh water, so...

pH of 8

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

0 nitrate (Rocky Mountain Water!)

And it’s really hard water (plenty of calcium & magnesium)

So far, so good. Now for my big oopsie.

I went to the “normal” aquarium and grabbed a bag of bio filter media to take to the hospital tank (to help process ammonia).

I got back to the hospital tank and... curses! I was still wearing the gloves I had on when I handled the infested fish!

I figure it’s definitely possible that some parasite eggs stuck to my gloves, and are now in my main tank...

So... should I treat my main tank (one occupant) to ensure no eggs can cause problems?

Also: should I do anything for the open wounds on the new fish? Or just watch & wait?

You may need dimilin for the anchor worm instead of General Cure, just FYI.  They don’t respond to prazi.

Yes, I’d treat the main tank.  What a bummer! I’ve done similar things myself and it’s always frustrating to have an error in handling and bio-security practices.

The new fish I’d just use meth blue in the quarantine water to discourage any fungus or secondary bacterial infections.  Or you could watch and wait, really it’s a matter of preference. But a fish who already has anchor worm is at higher risk for other pathogens from the stress and injury, anyway, so I’d lean toward slightly more aggressive antiseptic treatment than less, so long as it didn’t increase stress (meth blue won’t, it’s extremely gentle).

You may need dimilin for the anchor worm instead of General Cure, just FYI.  They don’t respond to prazi.

So much for the label. Oh well... is the “best practice” for new fish quarantine still to use Prazi? (In this case, after a month of dimilin, to stop the anchor worm lifecycle...)

Yes, I’d treat the main tank.  What a bummer! I’ve done similar things myself and it’s always frustrating to have an error in handling and bio-security practices.

I’m glad I realized what I did...

Oh definitely still use the General cure for two weeks, because gill flukes are a major issue too and the metronidazole is excellent for dealing with internal parasites as well as potential gram positive bacterial infections.  Now, if you have plain old prazi use that i instead of the the General Cure, since the antibiotics aren’t indicated with the current symptoms and we don’t want to overuse them, but if it’s all you have available with prazi then it’s better than nothing.

I have a bit of prazipro; but not enough.

So, Amazon provides... it’ll be three days until that arrives, so the stuff I have will have to serve...

Maybe there’ll be some benefit of the antibiotic to prevent secondary infection... and perhaps aid healing. (Though my understanding is Metro isn’t the best choice for a surface wound, like the one Anchor Worm produces...)

I wouldn’t use the metro as a secondary antibiotic for that purpose - meth blue should be sufficient. But if you saw actual lesions increasing or some fin rot set in, Furan-2 is my preferred choice for all those external bacterial infections.  

I agree: metro isn’t the tool for that job.

The fish did have lesions where the anchor worms were attached, but they have healed up.

Now that the shipment of metro-free prazi (And dimilin) arrived, that’s what I’ll use.

Sounds good, keep us posted as to how things go with the treatment :)