Sign in to follow this  
bekko

Rain Garden 2019 Update

2019 UPDATE

Our goldfish business has been loosing money for a few years now.  It got so bad that we could barely break even on the utility expenses…. let alone making anything for the hours put into it. It had long since become time to hang it up, but it’s also something I very much enjoy doing so we kept at it.

Then, in January, a big tree fell down in a wind storm.  A really big tree.  The base of the trunk is about six to eight feet in diameter (photo attached)..  What you cannot see in the photo is the fish hatchery building along with seventy-five glass tanks flattened by the impact.  Adjacent to the hatchery are a fifteen lined ponds that now lie below a ten foot deep blanket of limbs and branches.  You can't even get close enough to take a good photo of it.  Removing it all is daughtning so we’re just going to turn it all into a garden architectural feature and see how it evolves.  That part is going well so far. 

We still have other groups of ponds and above-ground tubs.  We still have goldfish but many variety bloodlines were lost.  We could put up a new building and start again in earnest but, really, what’s the point.  So, for now at least, we’re out of business.  I will probably cobble together some hatchery stuff in spring 2020.  I always get the urge to grow fry in the spring.  However, it may only be on a hobbyist scale.

The fact that the web site no longer works is a whole different problem.  A Chinese company is trying to steal our domain name and hacked our domain regisration account.  I am told there is an investigation underway and that it will be fixed in a matter of days. 

To all those who has purchased fish from us in the past, we would like to express our heart-felt appreciation.  It really is a fun thing to do and you gave me an excuse to do it full time.

-steve

tree.jpg

As an Aussie I never got to buy from Rain Garden, but it's very sad to see both Raingarden and Dandy Orandas gone :(

That’s so sad! All those fish and bloodlines, lost forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truly sad.  All the hard work into breeding and raising your goldfish wiped out in a freak accident.  Glad to hear that you will still be involved in the hobby, I hope that I may be able to see your goldfish one day.

I was actually looking to purchase some Raingarden Yellow Goldfish in about a month for my garage aquaponic system.  I was even talking about it in the "2019 KG Raffle" thread.  I hope you don't go completely out of business Steve!  

That said, you must do what is right and what is best for you and your family.  If it's time to shut the doors, then it may be the right time to do it now and to find other things that are fulfilling (and that pay the bills).  Whatever you do, know that I've been a fan for around 14 years and thank you for all the photos and videos you've posted of your beautiful fish.  I've admired them many many many times and daydreamed about owning them many many many times!  

Hopefully this is not the last time we see you, but if it is, thanks for the fish filled memories!

I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

WOW that is a BIG tree! So sorry for all the loss you sustained from it though... :'( Do you have pics of what it used to look like? I like that you guys are going to make the tree a feature! 

I cant believe that this happened to you Steve. Thats just really nuts. 

As Arco said I sure did admire your fish and you. I enjoyed the two fish I had gotten from you and Im sure I will never see two fish like that again.

I was hoping later in life to get some more from you but we will have to wait and see.

Please don't be a stranger, keep us posted on how things are going. :) 

7 hours ago, koko said:

Please don't be a stranger, keep us posted on how things are going. 

Yes please.  

Oh NO!  That tree is enormous, and what a heartbreak with the building flattened.  I’m so sorry, Steve, and hope you do at least continue to breed on a hobby level. 

Oh yeah,  I forgot to mention that I'm old now too :>)   Whatever I do gets done very slowly.

Thank you all for your kind sentiments.

-steve

10 hours ago, bekko said:

Oh yeah,  I forgot to mention that I'm old now too :>)   Whatever I do gets done very slowly.

-steve

Rofl. I know that. I started this when I was almost 30 now I'm almost 50. Wow 50 dang and a 6 year old 😀😛😜

17 hours ago, bekko said:

-steve

Steve,

I sent you a Message here on Kokos.  Please give it a read when you get the chance.  :)

Rain Garden Goldfish has an update here:   http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish.htm

With the most interesting part being:  "We are cobbling together a small hatchery for spring 2020 . . . fish will not be available for sale again until late 2020 or early 2021".  :laugh::D 

:gcar:

If they have any yellow Hibuna, Comets, or Wakin, I'm going to buy some.  I've been wanting some of Raingarden's yellows for over 10 years.  If he has them, I'm getting a breeding group, and I'll start keeping goldfish again.  Done Deal.

:D:laugh::D 

Edited by Acro

Oh dude, that's exciting news. I love his Shukins. 😊

Oh yes, their Shukins! I once fell in love with one of his red Shukins, but the timing wasn't right and I never bought the fish.  

Actually, I've admired so many of Rain Garden's fish, and I was stunned when he started posting yellows.  I thought I lost my chance when Steve announced they were closing, but now there is hope!  I've waited this long to get one of those fish, so waiting a year until he sells some again is not a big deal at all.  I even emailed him about the yellows and he said he may have some for sale.  I really hope he breeds some yellows!  :D

Edited by Acro

2 hours ago, Acro said:

Oh yes, their Shukins! I once fell in love with one of his red Shukins, but the timing wasn't right and I never bought the fish.  

Actually, I've admired so many of Rain Garden's fish, and I was stunned when he started posting yellows.  I thought I lost my chance when Steve announced they were closing, but now there is hope!  I've waited this long to get one of those fish, so waiting a year until he sells some again is not a big deal at all.  I even emailed him about the yellows and he said he may have some for sale.  I really hope he breeds some yellows!  :D

Those yellow fish are just so amazing in color. I had never seen a yello goldfish before till his.

I was lucky to have owned 2 shukins. I would love to have another one at some point.

I hope he post some photos of his progress.

I love yellow fish. I only ever seen the yellow commons here, and mine has lost most of his yellow as he has grown.

15 hours ago, koko said:

Those yellow fish are just so amazing in color. I had never seen a yello goldfish before till his.

I was lucky to have owned 2 shukins. I would love to have another one at some point.

I hope he post some photos of his progress.

Rain Garden's yellows were the first I'd ever seen too.  Since then, I've seen only a few from Dandy Orandas and there's a guy on ebay who sells some, but the ebay fish don't look that vivid yellow like RGs and DOs.  Also FishMandy posted some amazing yellow goldfish photos . . . 

8 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I love yellow fish. I only ever seen the yellow commons here, and mine has lost most of his yellow as he has grown.

I remember the beautiful yellow photos you posted here:  https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/127342-2019-kg-raffle/?tab=comments#comment-2035969

and here:  https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/topic/127342-2019-kg-raffle/?tab=comments#comment-2036002

Yours is like a Lemon Creamsicle!

Edited by Acro

I wonder if he's ever had yellow Shunkins?

23 hours ago, koko said:

I wonder if he's ever had yellow Shunkins?

That would be GEORGOUS!!!  

I never saw a yellow shunkin on the website . . . I think I only saw yellows up to ryukins.  But if it could be produced, I'm sure he could do it!

If they had one for sale, at the end of 2020, would you buy it Koko?

Edited by Acro

On 1/11/2020 at 4:03 PM, Acro said:

That would be GEORGOUS!!!  

I never saw a yellow shunkin on the website . . . I think I only saw yellows up to ryukins.  But if it could be produced, I'm sure he could do it!

If they had one for sale, at the end of 2020, would you buy it Koko?

Hummmm that would be something to really think about if he could. Or a Black Shunkin. Im planning on eventually just have a Pond out back.

If my 5 little dudes from Goldfish and Zac make it to spring. I plan on doing a bigger pond out there. Then I would love to have a Sunkin again :thumbs: