Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

Sorry to hear about Eleazar passing. :-(

It sounds like you're doing everything right ... did you by any chance get all your fish from the same place? I was just wondering if perhaps they picked up something from the store or breeder.

Thanks guys. The tank has now been nuked. I did something dumb, tho. . . I boiled my filter intake tubes. Unsurprisingly, they melted. But, I managed to get my big filter working!!! It wasn't before. I'm going to have to keep the water level high until I can buy new tubes, but it should work for now.

I am pro-bleach when it comes to nuking. I really only boil rock-like substances (though I hear you can bake ceramics on a low heat--don't quote me on that). I hear that PP also does the job pretty thoroughly but it scares me a little, but also making sure that everything is bone dry is important. 

I forget--do you have an AquaClear filter? I always find that I have to take off the impeller (after draining water of course) once every few media-rinses to make sure that the impeller is spinning without any grinding. If there is any grinding I take out the impeller, rinse it, and blow in the power hole (?... sounds mega-weird, I know) very hard. Sometimes I inject a little water and shake it out and blow again. It has saved me $30+ on new filters and impellers many a time. But it sounds like you have everything under control! I am just also familiar with almost or totally breaking equipment!

Sorry to hear about Eleazar passing. :-(

It sounds like you're doing everything right ... did you by any chance get all your fish from the same place? I was just wondering if perhaps they picked up something from the store or breeder.

Mishi i got from petco in nh in mid January. Mishi was from a ME petsmart. The betta that died recently was just old. . . and, of course, id had kappa for a year, ao unfortunately i cant blame the source.

Thanks guys. The tank has now been nuked. I did something dumb, tho. . . I boiled my filter intake tubes. Unsurprisingly, they melted. But, I managed to get my big filter working!!! It wasn't before. I'm going to have to keep the water level high until I can buy new tubes, but it should work for now.

I am pro-bleach when it comes to nuking. I really only boil rock-like substances (though I hear you can bake ceramics on a low heat--don't quote me on that). I hear that PP also does the job pretty thoroughly but it scares me a little, but also making sure that everything is bone dry is important. 

I forget--do you have an AquaClear filter? I always find that I have to take off the impeller (after draining water of course) once every few media-rinses to make sure that the impeller is spinning without any grinding. If there is any grinding I take out the impeller, rinse it, and blow in the power hole (?... sounds mega-weird, I know) very hard. Sometimes I inject a little water and shake it out and blow again. It has saved me $30+ on new filters and impellers many a time. But it sounds like you have everything under control! I am just also familiar with almost or totally breaking equipment!

My big filter that wasn't working is an aqueon 55/75. The part where thw impeller connected was dirty and couldn't form the necessary connection. It was an easy fix. The other filter that i broke, well. . .it really came broke and i needed to buy a new one anyways.

How does one fishless cycle a tank?

Re: fishless cycling. I've done it once a few years ago and it takes a bit of patience, but you don't make any fish suffer through ammonia or nitrite spikes or have to do a ton of water changes. They talk about it on the water quality forum, but here is one of the pinned posts: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112965-fishless-cycle-instructions/ But I understand that it would be boring to have an empty tank for a month or so. Still, it is less work from what I remember.

So I went ahead and bought two little fish. They are going to be in a 10g qt while I work on fishless cycling their tank. They're super cute! One is a little 1.5" red cap Oranda with stunning finnage and really catching eyes. Mostly I got him for his personality, as he followed my finger across the glass. . . Plus he just has that special something that drew me to him.

The second is a tiny ryukin, around 1" including his tail. Literally, he would fit inside the oranda's belly. . . But not his mouth. . He is white based with pale orange on his head going to his dorsal, his upper lip, his gills and the outer edges of his tail. . . Also, his dorsal is orange.

They weren't in the same tank at the store, but they're already inseparable. It's funny, cause the big Oranda is following the tiny ryukin, not vice versa. They're super cute and tiny. I am wondering, however, if they're showing breeding behavior, cause the oranda does keep pushing at the ryukin's vent. . . Which worries me slightly, cause the ryukin is so small. But he isn't persistent about it and the ryukin doesn't seem bothered, so hopefully it's nbd.

100% wc on the new guys. Day one of prazi! At .3% salt. Hopefully no surprises. They seem super healthy, tho Martin (oranda) totally freaks when i take him out. Frasier is totally chill. As soon as he is in my hand he is super calm. Theyre both really great eaters, too.

These are my new goldfish, Martin and Frasier! This is day 2 of Prazi. Do I still WC despit the schedule because they are in qt, or will that diminish the effectiveness of their treatment? I would, of course, add the meds back in. . .

https://vimeo.com/130114494

Tadaa!! End prazi round one. That was yesterday, the 7th. Today will mark the beginning of round tqo if im up to it.

I finally caught a good pic of my ansorgiis, thought you fish folks might be interested. 9325daf41803b527653aad983366cb34.jpg

Well that's the male. I cant seem to find the female pic. Ill see if i cant catch her out again later.

Your ansorgii are gorgeous and I hope your new goldfish pass through quarantine with no problems :)

Martin and Frasier seem mostly ok. Saturday will mark the end of Prazi round 3. That said, they are gulping at the surface a lot, but it always in the exact same place. I wonder if there might be something there that they want to eat? I know they have enough oxygen. . . there are two bubble stones going. Any ideas?

Martin and Frasier seem mostly ok. Saturday will mark the end of Prazi round 3. That said, they are gulping at the surface a lot, but it always in the exact same place. I wonder if there might be something there that they want to eat? I know they have enough oxygen. . . there are two bubble stones going. Any ideas?

Is the pH stable and/or is there biofilm at the surface? D&D might be of help if you're worried. 

they may have been fed flakes or floating pellets at the store and have a habit of gulping thinking there is floating food possibly??

Im not sure. Ill open a dnd when i get home at noon. . . they srem really bad. Martin is bottomsitting and barely staying upright, frasier never leaves his corner. . .if i cant get these two through qt, thats it. Im done. Im going to stop keeping goldfisg. I cant handle all this death. If they die, thatll be 5 in the last two months. I wobt support bringing any more goldies ti my house to die.

I'm sorry your new goldies aren't feeling the greatest. Hopefully they'll feel better again soon!

Unfortunately Martin didn't survive the night. Im feeling really down about my fish keeping abilities at this point. I can't seem to keep any alive. . .

Oh no! I'm sorry you are having such bad luck. How is Frasier doing?

Hi, MM. I've been following your recent D&D thread and I have to say that I don't think these deaths have anything to do with your fish-keeping abilities. I agree with Sharon: the problem is undoubtedly the store. Have you bought all of your goldfish from the same supplier? If so, I think you should complain to the manager, since you are an experienced fish keeper (of other kinds of fish, it seems), and it's irresponsible for them to keep selling sick fish. 

I know that it is very hard to not feel responsible and to see fish die. I get attached to them quickly, too. But I also think that this is decidedly not your fault.

Hi, MM. I've been following your recent D&D thread and I have to say that I don't think these deaths have anything to do with your fish-keeping abilities. I agree with Sharon: the problem is undoubtedly the store. Have you bought all of your goldfish from the same supplier? If so, I think you should complain to the manager, since you are an experienced fish keeper (of other kinds of fish, it seems), and it's irresponsible for them to keep selling sick fish.

I know that it is very hard to not feel responsible and to see fish die. I get attached to them quickly, too. But I also think that this is decidedly not your fault.

The past three have, admittedly, been from the same store-- ie Mishi, Martin and Frasier. But Kappa was from them, too, and he was never sick (until he was. Then he died). If Frasier makes it through QT im going to get him a friend from a nuce mom and pop store half an hour away. It'll be a boring drive, but doable, now that i have my license. Thank you for your confidence in my fish keeping abilities.

Oh no! I'm sorry you are having such bad luck. How is Frasier doing?

Frasier is acting the same as he has since i brought him home-- hanging at the surface, gasping. But this morning he didn't eat.

I hope he can make it through this!

I hope he can make it through this!

Thanks Blitz. I hope so too. ????

The past three have, admittedly, been from the same store-- ie Mishi, Martin and Frasier. But Kappa was from them, too, and he was never sick (until he was. Then he died). If Frasier makes it through QT im going to get him a friend from a nuce mom and pop store half an hour away. It'll be a boring drive, but doable, now that i have my license. Thank you for your confidence in my fish keeping abilities.

I still think that there is a definite problem with your source. A lot can change re: staffing and tank up-keep over a year or so. Your experience with Kappa is an endorsement of your fish-keeping abilities. I'm glad that you got your license and have another fish option! I'd resist getting a friend-fish if any fish in the tanks look unwell, though, to spare you the heartache. I'd also ask all kinds of questions--especially from a Mom and Pop store! Good luck. 

Edited by QandD

I still think that there is a definite problem with your source. A lot can change re: staffing and tank up-keep over a year or so. Your experience with Kappa is an endorsement of your fish-keeping abilities. I'm glad that you got your license and have another fish option! I'd resist getting a friend-fish if any fish in the tanks look unwell, though, to spare you the heartache. I'd also ask all kinds of questions--especially from a Mom and Pop store! Good luck.

I wouldn't get a fishmate for awhile, don't worry. Im very tired of qt and new fish problems. I got two at once to minimize problems!!! I didnt want another qt. . . but if Frasier survives, i will eventually get a new fish. Once my tanks are stable. ????

Frasier passed away during the night, bringing my death tally to 5 in 2 months. I don't know what to do. I can't keep fish without gf. They are my absolute favorite. But i have lost so many recently!! While on the one hand i want to rushout right now today and get new ones, i also am feeling that any i bring in will just die anyways. I must be doing something wrong- frasier seemed fine lastnight. Sure,he was gasping a bit at the surface, but thats never been a death sentence before!! I don't know what to do.