Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

I did my wc today. I put them off since Wednesday. . . Shame on me. But the fishes seem fine! I found a new way to mix Prazi into water. I have these little tiny candy cylinders (toxic waste,individually wrapped sour candies. Totally delicious). I put the Prazi in there and shook it good and it mixed faster and better than I've ever had Prazi mix before. Today is the start of Mishi Prazi round 2.

I moved back the vallisneria line in my 29g so it's more aesthetically pleasing, but I'm still not satisfied. I need to find a teapot.

And my betta, Pascal, died. Due to my over abundance of mystery snails, his remains were hauntingly decimated when I found him during the wc today. I may have screamed. It was disgusting. So now I'm trying to remove all of my little baby mystery snails. Death to all snails! No, just kidding. Hopefully I can give them to a petstore, but who knows if they'll take 'em. They aren't nuisance snails, but. . . Well, they can be quite the nuisance. I definitely regret ever not destroying the eggsac.

I tried giving Mishi and Eleazar bloodworms but neither understood they were supposed to eat it. Oh well. I guess there is a pretty sharp learning curve. . . And they're behind it.

I wonder if I can change the name of my blog.

I did my wc today. I put them off since Wednesday. . . Shame on me. But the fishes seem fine! I found a new way to mix Prazi into water. I have these little tiny candy cylinders (toxic waste,individually wrapped sour candies. Totally delicious). I put the Prazi in there and shook it good and it mixed faster and better than I've ever had Prazi mix before. Today is the start of Mishi Prazi round 2.

I moved back the vallisneria line in my 29g so it's more aesthetically pleasing, but I'm still not satisfied. I need to find a teapot.

And my betta, Pascal, died. Due to my over abundance of mystery snails, his remains were hauntingly decimated when I found him during the wc today. I may have screamed. It was disgusting. So now I'm trying to remove all of my little baby mystery snails. Death to all snails! No, just kidding. Hopefully I can give them to a petstore, but who knows if they'll take 'em. They aren't nuisance snails, but. . . Well, they can be quite the nuisance. I definitely regret ever not destroying the eggsac.

I tried giving Mishi and Eleazar bloodworms but neither understood they were supposed to eat it. Oh well. I guess there is a pretty sharp learning curve. . . And they're behind it.

I wonder if I can change the name of my blog.

Yes Mishi and Eleazar have a lot to learn if they don't know what bloodworms are and they may even need the  :SmackBottom: if they don't learn how to eat bloodworms :lol: oh and don't change the blog name if you can it shows how far you have come and all the time you have spent caring for your beloved fish :D

Frickin frackin fish! Mishi died. :( :( :( I don't get it; I did everything I was supposed to! 3x+ weekly WC on the qt tank, each time removing 80% of the water. I was following the Prazi regimen to a T! And he acted completely healthy! I don't understand why he died. I don't plan on buying another new fish anytime soon. . . And if my sister buys one I'll tell her to bring it back. I really need to focus on the needs of the tanks and fish I do have. Like, for instance, why joker the purple snail thinks it's so cool to climb out of my tank and free fall to the carpet below. Twice he's done this. TWICE!!! So for now, no new fishies.

Thanks guys. I'm so frustrated with the entire thing. Mishi seemed completely fine, and then he up and died! It's so depressing. I guess I'm just a one goldfish kinda gal. For now at least. I'm considering moving Eleazar over to the 20long (after some modifications are made) and putting the tetras, snail and plecos in the 29g. That way I won't even be tempted to purchase another goldfish. I know some on here believe goldfish should have at least 30g, but I believe they are fine in a 20. Especially since Eleazar is pretty small, and he wouldn't even be bringing the pleco over with him. It would just be him in the tank. 

Big fish tank cleaning this afternoon! I've been so busy lately, it seems my tanks have been a bit neglected. There is yucky algae all over, too, as the tank is across the room from our window, who's shade is always open. I'm going to scrub everything down real good and hope it never comes back, haha!

I'm actually considering going bare bottom. Or at least getting rid of the dirt. It really annoys me. But, I love my Vals,even if they are covered from stem to tip in brown algae. Idk, I just really need some sort of artistically centerpiece in the tank to catch the viewer's eye. As I've mentioned before, I'd like to put s tea pot in there. . . But I don't know if that will happen, because I don't think we have the proper tools for cutting up a ceramic teapot. Maybe I could make one, though? Hmmmm. . .

My 20L is getting a new resident within the next few days. Or rather, two new residents. My eldest brother bought me a pair of stripes fishies. I have no idea what they are actually called, but they are an intense orange color with black stripes, and their finnage is white when It grows out- or lined in white, rather. I can't wait for them to arrive! He is going to QT them, however, as I'm convinced that my 10g qt is cursed. I need to empty it out and leave it somewhere to dry for awhile. Maybe outside? Although the last time I left a tank outside, it stayed there over the winter and exploded. . . It's still there. So are the shattered pieces of glass from the bottom.

I will post pictures of my tanks tonight, after they are cleaned. When my stripey fish get here, I'll post pictures of them, too.

So my stripey fishies arrived today!!! They are actually called Ansorgii. I got the pair, and the breeder sent an extra two juveniles. They are soooo cute! Right now they are stressed from shipping and very washed out, but eventually they'll be beutiful little butterflies. I mean, fish. I did giant water change on my 29g. I think Eleazar has grown quite a bit! 80% wc now leaves his dorsal skimming the surface. It didn't used to. I'm glad he is growing, I really like him.

I finally emptied the QT that Mishi died in. And Kappa. He died there, too. But it's empty now and it's gonna sit out on the deck for a week or so to make sure that all the nasties die. Because I think it's cursed. Oh! And guess who moved back to the 29g today??? Yup, yup, Mosszilla! He'd been living in the 20 long since shortly before Kappa died, but I'm sooo much happier with him in the 29g. Especially since the 20L is crowded enough as it is.

Did I mention that the ansorgii are actually a gift from my lovely older brother? Because they are. He rocks.

These are my ansorgii currently. They'll color up in a few days.

This gives you some idea of what they may look like when colored up.

There's my 29g, with mosszilla added back in.

This is the 20L, where the ansorgii will go. It currently holds 8 false penguin tetras, 1 mystery snail and 1 albino BN.

What a nice gift your brother gave you.  They are really neat fish.  Is your brother into fish keeping also?  I wish I had a family member that was.  Your tanks look all nice also.  

What a nice gift your brother gave you.  They are really neat fish.  Is your brother into fish keeping also?  I wish I had a family member that was.  Your tanks look all nice also.

Yes, he is. He has a 29g cold water community tank with WHite clouds, zebra danios and platys. He also has a trio of killifish in a 10g and a seperated 10g with two bettas. We have the same tank gallonage, but he has three tanks to my two. He is a wonderful brother. :) it's nice to have someone to share your hobby with in the family.

If i got a new gf and put it and eleazar together in a qt tank and prazi'd and salted the tank, would they both be fine? Or could that be unsafe?

Like ive mentioned before i'm just really unhappy with my tank, but i feel like to give eleazar and a new fish equal attention, theyd have to be together. Plus, i never really bonded with eleazar and i feel like having another fish with hin would help him not be so lonely and id also be spending more time nearby, since it would be a qt period. Thoughts? I just really need to get to a place where im happy with my tank and fish. Plus, if im going to get a new fish it needs to be out of qt before my job starts. I wont have time for daily wc then.

The impeller on my giant filter is broken and now eleazar is bottom sitting.

I'm sorry to hear this! I hope you can order a replacement part soon and the Eleazar perks up. Are his parameters OK?

The impeller on my giant filter is broken and now eleazar is bottom sitting.

I'm sorry to hear this! I hope you can order a replacement part soon and the Eleazar perks up. Are his parameters OK?

We ran out of nitrite test bbut i did a 90% wc Wednesday and he is the only one in there. I think he is just lonely, cause he has been a bit droopy since Kap died. Im gonna try to get a new gf next weekend. Im gonna order a new impeller as soon as my check clears. I appreciate your concern!!!

That's nice that your considering getting another goldfish.  I would qt your new fish alone so Eleazar won't get any kind of illness/parasites from the new fish if you get one.   I wouldn't take any chances.  I'm sorry Eleazar is bottom sitting.  If your worried about Eleazar you might want to make a thread in the D&D section and fill out the questionnaire so the Mods will see and assist you.  I hope Eleazar will be okay.  

I have a daughter that is 17 and she is so busy.  Sometimes I don't know how school kids find the time to take care of a fish tank(s). Not enough hrs in a day.  Having a barebottom tank is nice and I find it a bit easier not worrying about any kind of substrate.  I do have to wipe down the bottom glass just like I do the sides and back of the tank though.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I have no idea what's happening; I'm so lost. First Kappa, then Pascal, then Mishi, and now Eleazar. . . All within a few months. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I do giant weekly wc, I clean the substrate and I feed them high quality food. There is NO REASON for them to keep dying.

I'm stuck. Kinda at an impasse. If I buy more fish, they'll die. But I'm not ready to NOT have goldfish. I love goldfish. But seriously. . . Three goldfish have died in the past two months and I can't see why. Eleazar never seemed sick. Mishi never seemed sick. Kappa had been starting to get better. Then they all just died. At this point I feel like I need to completely start over. Remove the substrate, nuke the hard media and throw away the soft. Scrub the filters with bleach. Bleach the plants. I don't know what else I can do. Maybe I shouldn't even have goldfish. I don't know.

RIP Eleazar.

First, don't beat yourself up over it! you are doing the best you can to care for these GF, we can see from your dedication!

Second, It might not be your fault if the fish are coming to you sick or their genes are weak for whatever reason, some things are out of our control.

Thirdly, starting off fresh might be a good plan of action. start a new cycle with fresh media that way you know there is no nasty's lingering from what has been your previous problem.

with that said, I don't know how often you test your tap water as some cities have more additives or not enough for the things found in tap water. I am no expert in this area but there are other members here who cannot do large water changes because of their tap water. (and they would be a better resource than me to tell you where to start) but maybe a more in depth analysis of your water might be in order

Also, I am very sorry to hear of Eleazar's passing, I wish you much luck and hope you are not too deterred from keeping GF. :hug

First, don't beat yourself up over it! you are doing the best you can to care for these GF, we can see from your dedication!

Second, It might not be your fault if the fish are coming to you sick or their genes are weak for whatever reason, some things are out of our control.

Thirdly, starting off fresh might be a good plan of action. start a new cycle with fresh media that way you know there is no nasty's lingering from what has been your previous problem.

with that said, I don't know how often you test your tap water as some cities have more additives or not enough for the things found in tap water. I am no expert in this area but there are other members here who cannot do large water changes because of their tap water. (and they would be a better resource than me to tell you where to start) but maybe a more in depth analysis of your water might be in order

Also, I am very sorry to hear of Eleazar's passing, I wish you much luck and hope you are not too deterred from keeping GF. :hug

Thanks Niki. I have tested the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tap water and it matches my aquarium levels, so I don't think it's the water. These last two months have been THE WORST with fish keeping. I hate to think of restarting my entire tank and cycle right before I start my new job, but I don't see any other options. What I'll probably do is get two small, decent quality Goldies from a specialty fish store about a half hour away and set them in QT together. We shall see what happens. And, probably im gonna go bare bottom. I found a large store of uneaten food last night, right before I went to bed. So although I doubt ammonia was the problem, had I seen Eleazar hadn't been eating good I would've known he was sick. . . And I would've had no trouble seeing uneaten food in a bare bottom tank. So, big, uncomfortable challenges for a girl who loves her plants. But, I figure that if I can get my tank stabilized then I can probably dirt it later.

Keep your chin up!

It will be a pin in the rear to start a new cycle and everything, but most likely not as much of a pain as doing large WCs for reasons you do not know and trying to make a sick fish better.....I think it might be worth it, but def. wait for another member to chime in :-)

Bare Bottoms are really nice and easy to care for, you could always try planting plants in small pots, and attaching others to DW. I have a couple of bare bottoms bottom tanks and I love them. though I do not have them planted.....I have also painted the bottom and back a dark brown color (outside the tank) and I enjoy that look :-)

I look forward to seeing your choices

I'm sorry to hear that Eleazar passed away! I agree with Niki that nuking everything in case of parasites or whatever may be living in there may be a good start. You could then do a fishless cycle to get everything ready for new fish, which seems like it will be lower maintenance when you are starting a new job, and then you could think about doing potted or floating plants. 

I'm sorry things are rough right now. I am sure it's not your fault.

I'm so sorry that Eleazar passed away. Starting over might not be fun, but at least you will have a clean slate for any future fish.

Thanks guys. The tank has now been nuked. I did something dumb, tho. . . I boiled my filter intake tubes. Unsurprisingly, they melted. But, I managed to get my big filter working!!! It wasn't before. I'm going to have to keep the water level high until I can buy new tubes, but it should work for now.

I'm sorry eleazar passed but don't give up I lost some of my favourite fish all within the same month and I felt like giving up but then I remembered why I hadn't given up before and it was because pets can be unpredictable and also upset us but when they make you smile or laugh when you are sad you know that's why you haven't given up :)