Back in the Game

This week I got lots of new plants!! I got another large order of vallisneria-- I believe the jungle type? So many plants I just gave up counting. They are all planted in my 29g tank. Also, yesterday I got some beautiful swords in the mail-- 2 marbled radicans, 2 kleiner bars, and 2 red rubins. They are all so absolutely gorgeous!! In other news, I think Kappa is changing color! There are some tiny orange spots that have never been there before on his right side. I got some pictures so you guys could see. And I know I keep saying this, but we are coming really close to the one year mark of Kappa having joined my family. I can't wait to post a then and now picture comparison. I think you'll be shocked at the difference!

image.jpg28.jpg

image.jpg25.jpg

image.jpg26.jpg

image.jpg22.jpg

image.jpg14_2.jpg

Do you see the tiny orange spots??? I'm so excited!

image.jpg16_1.jpg

image.jpg15_2.jpg

I made the mistake of mentioning to my friend that Kappa's wen is super soft, so of course she insisted on holding him. . . And petting him. . . And Eleazar. But, I saw no harm in it as the fish are used to me bugging them and it helped having her hold them while I took pictures.

image.jpg7_2.jpg

A size comparison of Kappa vs my friends hand.

image.jpg12_2.jpg

Eleazar size comparison

image.jpg2_4.jpg

Kappa thinks he is king of the castle. I wish I could say he was wrong.

image.jpg4_4.jpg

"This is MY area. Stay out!"

image.jpg1_5.jpg

"Bask in the glow of my glory!"

I'll post some videos later. Photobucket hates me.

Now that I said he is doing good, Kappa has decided to prove me a liar. He is having severe SB issues today- worse than he ever has before. I was so tired last night, I think I may have overfed him. It's hard to tell with the teeny tiny Southern Delight pellets how much I should feed. So right now, he's struggling to maintain upright position and keeps flipping over. I'm going to do a hugr WC tomorrow(no possible way I can tonight!!) and fast him for a few days. Then, I'll feed him some peas to clear him out. If these don't help, I'm going to put in him in the 10g qt tank and treat him for flukes. I've never given him an actual treatment regimen. I was too busy at work to keep at it, and after two badly done rounds I gave up last time.

Your blog is very interesting ;) I love your fish too :wub:  And when I see Eleazar it makes me think of how much I want a Black Moor! I just can't go out and get one yet :alex

I hope Kappa feels better!

Your blog is very interesting ;) I love your fish too :wub:  And when I see Eleazar it makes me think of how much I want a Black Moor! I just can't go out and get one yet :alex

I hope Kappa feels better!

Thank you! Kappa is feeling much better today, although he is mad that I am fasting him still, just to be sure. Black moors are awesome. ;)

So I've decided to no longer feed Kappa Southern Delight pellets. He didn't get floaty often before I started feeding with those, and since I have, he's had two major floaty sessions in less than a week. So, I'm giving them to my friend who has a comet named Iggy, who hasn't grown at all in 6 months. I figure they'll help him grow. ;) My plants are doing great, lots of new growth on the swords. Ironically, none in the gf tank have been disrupted but the one in the betta tank has been uprooted THREE TIMES! 

So Kappa is almost definitely changing color. There are tiny spots of Orange on both sides of him. I'm so excited! I really want to experience a color change. I more expected Eleazar, the black moor, to change, but. . . Eh. He will probably change too, just not for awhile.

Speaking of Eleazar, he has really plumped up since I brought him home! I wouldn't be surprised is he'd doubled in weight! Unfortunately, I don't have a scale. My mom has one at her house, but she won't let me bring it home cause she needs it for her work.

But my fish are doing super well! I have to trim my vallisneria every single week due to their extreme growth and even my Amazon swords are growing really well. I've always had trouble with them in the past, but not this time. Whoop!

So Kappa is almost definitely changing color. There are tiny spots of Orange on both sides of him. I'm so excited! I really want to experience a color change. I more expected Eleazar, the black moor, to change, but. . . Eh. He will probably change too, just not for awhile.

Speaking of Eleazar, he has really plumped up since I brought him home! I wouldn't be surprised is he'd doubled in weight! Unfortunately, I don't have a scale. My mom has one at her house, but she won't let me bring it home cause she needs it for her work.

But my fish are doing super well! I have to trim my vallisneria every single week due to their extreme growth and even my Amazon swords are growing really well. I've always had trouble with them in the past, but not this time. Whoop!

Sounds like your tank needs a photo shoot!!

Sounds like your tank needs a photo shoot!!

Haha, well, I'd love to do another one. I did one last week. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to? I'm always super busy on Thursdays.

Found something rather gruesome today. I was looking for my camera charger (cause i lost it :whistle ) when I stumbled across. . . my snail. The white one that I lost a few weeks ago. I thought he'd just been hard to see, because he went missing on the day I added all the huge plants to my tank. But, nope. He had apparently climbed out, as I found his entirely decomposed body (that is, empty shell) behind my tank stand, on top of my extra lights. It's so gross. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found something rather gruesome today. I was looking for my camera charger (cause i lost it :whistle ) when I stumbled across. . . my snail. The white one that I lost a few weeks ago. I thought he'd just been hard to see, because he went missing on the day I added all the huge plants to my tank. But, nope. He had apparently climbed out, as I found his entirely decomposed body (that is, empty shell) behind my tank stand, on top of my extra lights. It's so gross.

That is pretty disgusting :(

It would be a good story at the dinner table "here is the story of my mysterious snail disappearance..."

It would be a good story at the dinner table "here is the story of my mysterious snail disappearance..."

Hahah I can just imagine my grandparents and mom's reaction to that story. I'm sure they'd love it. What's worse is that. . . I haven't thrown away teh shell yet. I know, I know, it's so gross. . . But I don't want to touch it. >.<

Hahah I can just imagine my grandparents and mom's reaction to that story. I'm sure they'd love it. What's worse is that. . . I haven't thrown away teh shell yet. I know, I know, it's so gross. . . But I don't want to touch it. >.<

I find dead fish in nets around my house that have been there ages and i know its gross but I want to bury them until my mum forces me to flush them down the toilet :(

I find dead fish in nets around my house that have been there ages and i know its gross but I want to bury them until my mum forces me to flush them down the toilet :(
Yeah, I get that. Maybe put them in sandwich bags in the freezer? When I had tropicals (before I knew anything about fish) they'd die all of the time and we would freeze the bodies until we could bring them back to the pet store. And, if kappa were to die, I'd freeze him until the ground thawed here. Even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to flush him cause he is too big.

Yeah, I get that. Maybe put them in sandwich bags in the freezer? When I had tropicals (before I knew anything about fish) they'd die all of the time and we would freeze the bodies until we could bring them back to the pet store. And, if kappa were to die, I'd freeze him until the ground thawed here. Even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to flush him cause he is too big.
I have some pretty big pond fish but I could imagine trying to flush my 2+ foot sturgeon down toilet well you get what I mean I just don't think it would work :) and that is actually a good Idea to freeze dead fish I might try that :)

[

I have some pretty big pond fish but I could imagine trying to flush my 2+ foot sturgeon down toilet well you get what I mean I just don't think it would work :) and that is actually a good Idea to freeze dead fish I might try that :)

Haha what an idea! Talk about plugging the toilet! X3 The fish won't even rot if you freeze it, so as long as it isn't leaking. . . It's fine. Some people even keep their cats, dogs and rodents in freezers until they can bury them.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

[

Haha what an idea! Talk about plugging the toilet! X3 The fish won't even rot if you freeze it, so as long as it isn't leaking. . . It's fine. Some people even keep their cats, dogs and rodents in freezers until they can bury them.
Gross but cool if you get what I mean and very efficient. :):D

All of my new amazin sword are melting. Like, the bottom of the stalks are brown and mushy, tho the leaves are still big and healthy. New leaves grow and are already rotted at the stem! I don't get it :(

Here's a video of Eleazar for y'all.

I really hate my tank right now. I moved Mosszilla over to my 20long so I could fertilize it without killing my Vals, but now my 29 looks very empty and disorganized and stupid.

All of my new amazin sword are melting. Like, the bottom of the stalks are brown and mushy, tho the leaves are still big and healthy. New leaves grow and are already rotted at the stem! I don't get it :(

I really hate my tank right now. I moved Mosszilla over to my 20long so I could fertilize it without killing my Vals, but now my 29 looks very empty and disorganized and stupid.

Maybe try and give the swords more light by moving them out in the open and redoing the aquascape to prove the most convenient for each plant but if the roots are still healthy and the little bit at the the bottom of the plant is healthy then if you cut all the stalks off the plants should regrow. Also when did you get these plants??

Maybe try and give the swords more light by moving them out in the open and redoing the aquascape to prove the most convenient for each plant but if the roots are still healthy and the little bit at the the bottom of the plant is healthy then if you cut all the stalks off the plants should regrow. Also when did you get these plants??

They arrived and were planted March 13, almost a month ago. :(

They arrived and were planted March 13, almost a month ago. :(

Oh so quite a while then :(

I don't know how many of you know this, but kappa has been fighting an illness for the past two weeks. He has been in a separate tank with daily wc, meds and room to breathe. But he no longer needs this little room. I'm not putting him back in the main tank, no, but I'm definitely putting him somewhere. . . Like in a shallow grave. Yes, that's correct-- Kappa has died. 5 days before I'd have had him for a year, kappa lost his battle to whatever was hurting him. Rest In Peace, my lovely little first goldfishy