Back in the Game

Yes, Sucking up some air can possibly give fish some floaty problems.  It's best that they eat their food not at the water surface.

Kappas been a bit floaty. Maybe that's why! Thanks again!
No problem. :) Your welcome. You might want to just feed a cooked pea, without the shell, for a day or two and see if she improves. With that and the no more eating food at the surface hopefully you'll see an improvement. If not, you can always post in the d&d thread about her.

Fresh peas or frozen? Or does it matter?

Either is fine.  I usually have frozen in my freezer.  Just making sure, You do microwave them for a little bit in some water, right?  I'll put a few in a half cup of water and nook for about 90 seconds. ( just enough to soften them)  If he's not doing better tomorrow you might want to make a thread in the d&d thread.  He could possibly be floaty also from the food(s) you might be feeding him.  The mods can help you rule them out if your feeding more than one type of food/pellet.  You'll usually want to rule a food out by feeding one at a time for a while and see how the fish is doing.  If all is okay, than start on another food and see how that goes. 

Your done with the prazi treatment?  It's usually recommended to do at 4 rounds of prazi on a new fish.

Alright, thanks! I'll try to pick up a pack to keep in the freezer for future use. I have been microwaving them for one minute thirty seconds for him. He isn't looking too good right now. I'm gonna do a large wc and see where we're at.

As for the fish in qt, I'm going to do the rest of the rounds of Prazi. He seems totally fine, but I would never risk getting kappa sick, no matter what. I've done one round so far, and will start the second round after cleaning his tank today.

Did a large wc on allllll my tanks today! Kappa got his tank 80% changed, QT fishy got 100% AND a new, bonified 10g to hang in rather than the plastic tub, and Pascal got (BUMDADADUMMMMMMMM) A 20g LONG ALL TO HIMSELF. Yup, there's just this little pink betta swimming around a 20 long allllll allloooonnneeee. . . I might get some cories to put in there, but since Pascal is incredibly vicious, I might not. It is possible, however, that he is only vicious to bettas. . . Hmmmm. . .

Anyways, QT fishy started his second round of Prazi today and, as always, he's taking it like a champ. Kappa is still off of pellets- tonight I'll give him some green seaweed and drop in three spirulina tabs- one for each pleco and one for him. Otherwise he'll eat the plecos. Much as I'd like to keep totally fasting him, he is eating Mosszilla's hair. And we cannot have that, now can we?

Did a large wc on allllll my tanks today! Kappa got his tank 80% changed, QT fishy got 100% AND a new, bonified 10g to hang in rather than the plastic tub, and Pascal got (BUMDADADUMMMMMMMM) A 20g LONG ALL TO HIMSELF. Yup, there's just this little pink betta swimming around a 20 long allllll allloooonnneeee. . . I might get some cories to put in there, but since Pascal is incredibly vicious, I might not. It is possible, however, that he is only vicious to bettas. . . Hmmmm. . .

Anyways, QT fishy started his second round of Prazi today and, as always, he's taking it like a champ. Kappa is still off of pellets- tonight I'll give him some green seaweed and drop in three spirulina tabs- one for each pleco and one for him. Otherwise he'll eat the plecos. Much as I'd like to keep totally fasting him, he is eating Mosszilla's hair. And we cannot have that, now can we?

I just reread this. Kappa will not eat the plecos. He will eat the plecos' algae tabs.

I just reread this. Kappa will not eat the plecos. He will eat the plecos' algae tabs.

Only just noticed after you pointed it out :lol: I'm sure Kappa will have a very nice tea :):D

I started the 3rd round of Prazi on my QT goldfish this evening. Due to how incredibly healthy he is, this will be the last treatment he receives. Next waterchange, I'll be adding him to the main tank and one of the plecos to the 20L. 

Hopefully Kappa likes his new roommate!

Did big waterchanges on my tanks today. This is the last day of Eleazar's QT and tomorrow he will be moved in with Kappa in my 29g! I'm so excited! Eleazar has gone through 3 entire rounds of Prazi and has been at .3% salt since I got him three weeks ago. I know it's generally suggested to do 4 weeks and 4 rounds of prazi, but Eleazar is the healthiest fish I have ever seen. He eats like a champ, his poops are healthy and he's super active. His dorsal is always erect and not once have I seen him bottomsitting or showing any signs of sickness. So, I'm willing to put him in with Kappa tomorrow.

Speaking of Kappa, he's really used to me FINALLY. Whenever I reach into the tank, he nibbles at my arms. Also, he will handfeed whenever I want him to. He's sooo cute. I've almost had him for a year. On the one year mark of owning him, I'm going to upload a photo montage of how he's changed from then until now. He's gotten so much bigger and I'm very impressed with how he's grown and turned out. 

In other fish related news, I moved one of my plecos into the 20L that I recently acquired. It's been set up for about a week now with the filters I had on my 10g. It's only inhabitants are the two mystery snails, Pascal (betta) and now, the BN pleco- Aquila. I didn't realize how BIG he was before, but seeing him next to Pascal. . . I mean, he's the same size if not BIGGER than him! It's insane! Needless to say, I'm not so worried about Pascal bugging Aquila. Also, my snails laid eggs!!!! I don't know that they'll hatch- I got some water on them before I realized that they were there- but if they don't, they can lay more. I hadn't realized I had both genders. I'm so stoked! Can you imagine? Hundreds of baby snails!!!! Yay!!!! I need to get some source of calcium for them though. Their shells are really thin and chipping, which is so awful. I need to buy a cuttlefish shell (for snail calcium) and another piece of driftwood (for the 20L and Aquila). 

With how things are going now, I'm thinking that I'm going to redirt the 29g around mid- February. Feb break begins Feb 14 I believe, so sometime that week I'll fix it up. I'm sorta nervous about messing up my plants again though. They are JUST adjusting to being moved around-- I don't want to mess them up again! But I know I have to. WAAAAYYYY too much of my tank is filled by substrate. 

Cool thing-- Two of my banana lilies are shooting leaves up to the surface! I can't wait for that to finish. I love all my lilies. I have three types; tiger lotus, dwarf lily, banana lily. My vallisneria is growing in pretty well too, and my anubias are really exploding. Oddly, the plants I have the most trouble with are java ferns. They're supposed to be super easy and idiot proof, but I can't get them to live!!!

I cleaned a part of my filter and fixed up my pothos. Most of their old roots had died when they were adjusting to living in a filter, so I gently removed the dead roots and placed them back in the filter. There's room in there for even more pothos, if I felt so inclined!

Okay, so now that I've typed so much, here's some pictures. Enjoy!

IMG_3054.jpgIMG_3048.jpgIMG_3030.jpgIMG_3025.jpgIMG_3020.jpg"Where exactly is my food?! I was promised fine green seaweed hours ago!"

IMG_2971.jpg

And now here's the 20L, which you guys haven't seen yet. It's not really 'together' yet, as it's very freshly set up, but it will be soon. And it seems to be pretty great cause I never got eggs in the 10g, but I have them now!

IMG_2951.jpgThis was right after I purchased it. My cat decided it was a good place to hang out. I don't know what it is about cats and fish tanks, but whenever I purchase them, the cats always jump in!

IMG_3013.jpgIMG_3011.jpgIMG_3003.jpgThe snail eggs!!!! So cool!!!!

IMG_3002.jpgIMG_2992.jpg

Whoot! Added Eleazar into the main tank with Kappa tonight! I haven't seen any aggression, but then, they seem pretty wary of each other. It's so funny watching them sorta circle each other-- Kappa's following Eleazar slowly around like Dumbo followed the mouse. I didn't realize how much bigger Kappa was until I saw this!!!!

Also, I purchased another piece of driftwood this weekend for the 20L. Now Aquila has something to gnaw on and doesn't feel left out cause Prisca had one and he didn't. Still no developments on the snail eggs, but here's hoping they hatch!!! 

I took some videos of Eleazar's first few minutes in the tank and I'll post them, along with some pics of him, Kappa, and the 20L, tomorrow. For now, I could really use some sleep. Who knows, we may have school tomorrow in spite of the foot of snow we got dropped on us today. . .

Now that is one huge catfish in your new 20L tank. :teehee S/he is beautiful. Purrrr :)

Really though, I love what your doing with your tank.  I think it's beautiful of how you have your plants arranged.  From first glance I thought it was one big plant on the right side that had a long branch drifting through the middle of the tank.  It looks long and flowy.

Your other tank is beautiful also.  You have a knack with aquascaping.

Now that is one huge catfish in your new 20L tank. :teehee S/he is beautiful. Purrrr :)

Really though, I love what your doing with your tank.  I think it's beautiful of how you have your plants arranged.  From first glance I thought it was one big plant on the right side that had a long branch drifting through the middle of the tank.  It looks long and flowy.

Your other tank is beautiful also.  You have a knack with aquascaping.

You don't even know how confused I was when I read this. Catfish? Whaaaaa....? I thought you were like, talking about my pleco or something and I was thinking, 'well thanks, but it's not that big. . .' Ugh, it's too early for my brain. (I realized you're talking about my cat ) Her name is Shadow Dancer, and she is 3 years old. She's very vain and doesn't like people. But I'll tell her you approve

Thanks! I really try, tank-wise, to make it look nice. I need some more plants for the 20L. It's a tank I can really plant up, cause there's no goldfish in there to mess things up. The plants that seem to flow across the plants are actually two totally different things. The one rooted is a banana Lily, and the ones floating are Brazilian pennywort. In the back I have w single dwarf Lily, a stem of hygro(won't do anything! I break the stem in half and replant both stems when it gets tall, but only the original half will grow. . .) and a handful of aponogetons.

I'll upload some more pictures after school, but I've changed it a bit in there, I added in some hardscape- a little rock cave, and a piece of Anubias tied driftwood.

Thanks for the compliment so! I'm really glad you like my tanks.

That is funny that I confused you about your cat. hahahaha   You can give her a rub under her chin from me even though you say she doesn't like people. :(

It's fun messing around with plants on a smaller tank/scale than with our goldfish tank.  At least it is with me.  Your pennywort looks great.  I had one last year and it was tiny and didn't seem to want to grow too much.  I didn't have it long.

That is funny that I confused you about your cat. hahahaha   You can give her a rub under her chin from me even though you say she doesn't like people. :(

It's fun messing around with plants on a smaller tank/scale than with our goldfish tank.  At least it is with me.  Your pennywort looks great.  I had one last year and it was tiny and didn't seem to want to grow too much.  I didn't have it long.

I will try, but she may bite me. Blood shall be spilled! She was a stray as a kitten, living in a shed. We adopted her at eight weeks, without much socialization. She's getting a lot better, especially since my grandma retired and is home with her all day now. (She lives with my gram as mom is allergic.) I'll have my gram give her a scratch for you.

Thanks! My pennywort I actually bought huge at a PetCo sale a few weeks ago, when I picked up Eleazar. There was a buy two aquatic things get one free sale going on. I bought two large pennyworts, an ozelot sword, and Eleazar. My mom bought two juli Corys(she had more at home). I tried getting them planted, but that didn't happen. . . Anyways, thanks!

Kapp has been very floaty lately, and that worries me. However, I've started feeding below the water surface and pre- soaking th pellets. This has seemed to help some, although not very much.

Next week is February break. During this time, I will be temporarily placing kappa and Eleazar in my 10g QT and removing the dirt from their tank. And then redirting it. I'm thinking I'll make it super thin on the sides and such, but I want the middle to stay pretty well banked. It's just that, I only JUST got my banana plants to start flourishing and I'm really not wanting to ruin all of their progress. So likely, that part of the tank will still be pretty thick and the rest will be thin. So sue me, I'm unwilling to ruin the progress of my fickle plants.

My tanks are clean. . . ????????

Today I removed the Java Fern from my moss monster and cut a length of Anubias, which I then tied to his back. It's prettier and harder duty, not to mention the fact that it grows amazingly well in my tank. I really hope it roots soon so I can remove the string!!

I redid my 29g tank Monday. The dirt is now 1-1 1/2 in rather than 4 or 5 inches. Yay! I removed the banana lilies to the 20long. Kappa and Eleazar seem to appreciate the extra swimming room and I like the look. It's much more spacious now that the mid ground isn't cluttered with plants. And anyways, when I tried to plant them, they kept breaking. So for now, they are floating in the 20 to heal up before being replanted. I'll post some pictures at some point maybe, but I'm so bad at taking pictures of my tank haha.

My 20 long is now crawling with tiny mystery snails. The clutch from a few weeks ago hatched. I have no idea what to do with them! I have a friend who wants one. . . But only one, cause her mom is worried about them taking over the tank lol. That never happens. I'm gonna move one of the big snails to the goldfish tank so they can't keep breeding, but there's still the matter of the babies already there. . . Since snails are illegal to sell in Maine, I can't exactly turn them in to the pet store. Perhaps when they get big I can return them to the PetCo in nh. From now on I'm going to have to throw out egg clutches. I feel awful for that. It's like snail abortion!!! But I can't have any more snails.

Also, I'm going to be purchasing a school of 10-12 neon or Cardinal tetras this month for the 20 long. Along with them, I'll also be buying some Amazon swords. I'm not sure what type, but definitely some. I want that tank to look nice, so I'm working on planting it up and adding some life. The Betta who lives within, pascal, is incredibly lazy and hardly moves. . . Not that he's sick. He's like, two years old, so I don't really know why he's so lazy. He likes to lay against the filter intake. And his tail wraps around and he looks sick, but when I go to hell him off, he freaks out at me and swims away before I can touch him. Whatever. Fickle betta.

Visited my lfs today for the first time in months. I took a bunch of pics,which I'll put up later, and brought home some tropicals for My 20 long. They have some seriously amazing, super high quality goldfish and all of their stock is really heavy. The store is owned and maintained by one woman so there are some problems, but stock wise, it's pretty good. She has no live plants, tho--- there are some dead plants. . . Lol.

The fish I brought home are called 'false penguin tetras' aka hockey stick tetras. They have a stripe of black and a stripe of white all down their silver bodies, kicking off to continue down the bottom of their tail. I purchased a healthy little school of 8. I may purchase some more when the tax money comes in.

In other news, I've started keeping a clip of lettuce in with the goldfish so they can snack. I'm very pleased that they've been actually eating it, cause before when I tried this, kappa couldn't figure it out and wouldn't touch it. Eleazar must've shown him how it's done, lol.

image.jpg16.jpg

image.jpg17.jpgimage.jpg10.jpgimage.jpg3_2.jpg

Not how pretty and healthy these commons/ comets are

image.jpg4_1.jpg

image.jpg6.jpg

Suuuuper blurry picture, but I loved this orandas fancy finnage

image.jpg3_1.jpg

The butterfly tailed fish were very friendly. They even followed your finger around the glass!

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg1_2.jpg

I don't like bubble eyes, but these ones were so fat and happy! I had to take a pic.

And then these are the fish I purchased, the school of 8 false penguin tetras. They are currently in a half filled 10g tank with an air pump, thermometer, heater, and some pennywort. They seem happy enough, tho they've split into two groups of 4.

image.jpg1.jpg

I added another bulb to my 29g. Nothing fancy, just a simple 6500k bulb from Walmart. I also bought a huge hangar of pothos which, when separated, equaled out to over 20 plants. Now my tank looks like an overgrown jungle. . . Or at least, my filter does!

• 2 weeks later...