Back in the Game

Put it in storage as a quarantine tank and buy a 40 gallon long at Petco's dollar-per-gallon sale (going on right now). And then get a new goldfish! :donthit:

Edited for clarity

That would be so awesome, haha, but unfortunately, I have no license and no job as of yet. . . And a 40g total limit of fish tanks. With a 29g and a 10g there's not much else I can get, unfortunately. I wish I could, tho!

Also, I have asked my parents if i could break down my ten and thirty and get a forty. They said no. ????

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Aww, that stinks.  It's hard to find a job at 15; my son had this issue earlier this year and is waiting impatiently for his 16th birthday!  If you have a Chick-Fil-A nearby, they hire starting at 14 as long as you have your parents' permission and a reliable ride.

Aww, that stinks.  It's hard to find a job at 15; my son had this issue earlier this year and is waiting impatiently for his 16th birthday!  If you have a Chick-Fil-A nearby, they hire starting at 14 as long as you have your parents' permission and a reliable ride.

I'm actually sixteen, haha, and had a job last summer. That said, school gets in the way of having a job right now. I'll be trying for my license in May, and then I'll start job searching. Hopefully then. . . Haha! There is so much that I want to buy for my tank. I want it to turn into an absolute jungle, and my ten needs so much work. . . But for now, I'll do what I can with the pittance I receive occasionally from my parents, lol.

I took lots of pictures of my tank for you guys yesterday morning, really I did, but. . . Well, I took them on my iPad and am having trouble uploading them to photobucket or anything. I really do want to show you. And then, too, yesterday afternoon I changed my whole tank, so. . . Yeah. The pictures are kinda obsolete. So now, my camera is charging so I can retake tank pics and vids.

I noticed that a lot of my earlier pictures disappeared off my blog. Unfortunately, I can't go back and edit those, which really stinks. But I looked at the videos, and now I'm feeling nostalgic. Kappa was so little and cute. ❤️❤️ What happened?!????

It took much longer than planned, but I finally got my tank pictures! Much as I'd love to just post them all here, I'm just going to leave you with a through the ages of my 29g. You can look under the Photos and Videos section for the rest, if you're interested.  :teehee

Videos are uploading, and I plan to add them here later. Thanks for your patience! 

This was waaaaaay back, right after I got the 20g. It didn't have any fishes yet, and certainly not goldfish.

Aquariums017.jpg

That didn't even last until I got the fish.  :lol2  Next came this, with a beautiful, healthy lily and sparse plants, lots of river rocks, and many tropical fishes. I loved that tank. The only reason it was changed around was tragedy. They all died.  :rip:

image-24.jpg

Then started the era of the goldfish. I believe it was quite literally the day I set it up again that I purchased Kappa. Good choice? No. Have I lived to regret it? Eh. . . not so much. :lol:  I seeded the filter media from my successful tank, so Kappa was fine, although he took a long time to adjust and I totally purchased him waaaayyyy before I was ready. It wasn't for a few months after this that I got the big filter!  :doh11:

ipadmoments194.jpg

Which quickly changed to;

imagejpg7-1.jpg

And then, happy day, I got the 29g! That was awesome. It was a lot of work, shuffling around my tanks to make room for it, but sooooo worth it.

DSCN7234.jpg

Then I changed it to look better, which is of course, always the goal. 

DSCN7208.jpg

We started out like that, but I decided that the bamboo wasn't high enough. . . and I needed to prazi the tank, since I hadn't yet prazi'd him. . . so I removed most of the plants and added heavy air.

DSCN7236.jpg

And the next time I changed things. . . I added dirt!  :bingo:

DSCN7274.jpg

It looked pretty bad at first, and my photography skills- or lack there of- seriously detrmineted their appearance.  :lol2

DSCN7421.jpg

There's where I added in the banana plants. . . Kappa looks like such an ugly little alien!  :blink: Now there was a step between these two, but apparently I didn't photograph it. . . at all. I do have a video, which I will strive to post later, but for now, you get to see the last, and most current, rendition of my 29g. I hope you all enjoyed this little walk down memory lane. I know I did. Now I'm feeling all nostalgic. :pease:

DSCN7521.jpg

I went ahead and purchased a pot of pothos today. I didn't plan on it, but when I took a reading of my nitrates and found them in the 40-80, I decided to take action. An hour and a half later, my floor is covered in dirt and I have eight smallish pothos waiting to be out in my tank. Only thing is, how? I could probably fit a few into my filter, but they aren't from a great source, and I'm nervous that they'll die and ruin everything. I feel like a breeder box might be good in this case. A nice breeder box or even a mesh? That might work. A microfiber netting supported by nontoxic plastic along the edge of my tank. T'would be perfect.

Last night I visited one of th local petsmarts. They had a bunch of supr cute orandas. One was this little calico sweetheart. It was so tempting to get her. The poor doll, though, had a fungal infection on her side. I think the plecs must have ripped some of her scales off, based upon the shape of it. I know that they don't, not most times, but there wasn't anything else in the tank that could've caused it. Needless to say, I didn't purchase her. But I wanted to.

I'm doing a poetry thingy tonight, and I'm very excited. Somehow, I'm going to have to do large wc on both my 29g and my 10g before I go. I mean, it shouldn't actually be too hard, but. . . Eh. I'm really looking forward to tonight! Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a lovely 20g long today at my local thrift store! It's checking for leaks currently in the bath tub. So, yay! Also, my new goldfish is docking swimmingly! He is showing no signs of illness. He is going through Prazi and not reacting at all. He is probably the healthiest fish I've ever seen!

On a less fortunate note, my mother (who refuses to QT her new fish. . .) have ick. She does, however, have a med called 'quick cure' which is all I had with me during my quick visit, so I dosed the tank as directed and told my sis what to do tomorrow. Hopefully they'll recover!

Picked up a lovely 20g long today at my local thrift store! It's checking for leaks currently in the bath tub. So, yay! Also, my new goldfish is docking swimmingly! He is showing no signs of illness. He is going through Prazi and not reacting at all. He is probably the healthiest fish I've ever seen!

On a less fortunate note, my mother (who refuses to QT her new fish. . .) have ick. She does, however, have a med called 'quick cure' which is all I had with me during my quick visit, so I dosed the tank as directed and told my sis what to do tomorrow. Hopefully they'll recover!

Your fish is gorgeous. Love Kappa's colors. :)

I saw from the video above that his sinking pellets were dropped just above the water. What I'll do is that I'll put my clean fingers (make sure no lotion, soap residue, etc. on hand) in the tank while holding my fish pellets. The pellets will sink faster and not sit on top of the water for the possibility for fish to suck up air which isn't a good thing. Or I'll get a small measuring cup with a bit of tank water in it and put my pellets in that than drop that into my tank.

Your fish is gorgeous. Love Kappa's colors. :)I saw from the video above that his sinking pellets were dropped just above the water. What I'll do is that I'll put my clean fingers (make sure no lotion, soap residue, etc. on hand) in the tank while holding my fish pellets. The pellets will sink faster and not sit on top of the water for the possibility for fish to suck up air which isn't a good thing. Or I'll get a small measuring cup with a bit of tank water in it and put my pellets in that than drop that into my tank.

Thanks, I'll tell kappa. He'll be so happy!

Oh, okay. I guess I didn't realize there could be problems! Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely do that from now on

Kappa is so cute.

And i love your.. Driftwood dino moss thing? :rofl

Thanks!

The 'driftwood dino moss thing'. . . Lol. I purchased that on Etsy, from a shop called AquaBonsai. It is a living sculpture. There's a little moss man in there, too! He's smaller and hard to see. I'll try to get some pictures of them. But it was money well spent, I believe.

AquaBonsai

How cool!!!! Those are really awesome! Might get one of the tree ones for myself eventually, and i bet my daughter would love to pick one out for the tank in her room too. :D

How cool!!!! Those are really awesome! Might get one of the tree ones for myself eventually, and i bet my daughter would love to pick one out for the tank in her room too. :D

I absolutely love my AquaBonsai, and the seller is amazing. He put up with my endless questions covering all aspects of the aquatics hobby, from plecos to plants, and was just all around kind the whole time. Plus, he is a true Aqua hobbyist! I would definitely recommend him!

Yes, Sucking up some air can possibly give fish some floaty problems.  It's best that they eat their food not at the water surface.

Kappas been a bit floaty. Maybe that's why! Thanks again!

No problem. :) Your welcome. You might want to just feed a cooked pea, without the shell, for a day or two and see if she improves. With that and the no more eating food at the surface hopefully you'll see an improvement. If not, you can always post in the d&d thread about her.

Yes, Sucking up some air can possibly give fish some floaty problems.  It's best that they eat their food not at the water surface.

No problem. :) Your welcome. You might want to just feed a cooked pea, without the shell, for a day or two and see if she improves. With that and the no more eating food at the surface hopefully you'll see an improvement. If not, you can always post in the d&d thread about her.

Fresh peas or frozen? Or does it matter?

So Kappas been pretty floaty lately. Yesterday I fed him a few deshelled peas, and I'll feed him a bit today as well, to see if it helps.

On another note, my new goldfish is doing amazing in quarantine! He's the healthiest fish I've ever seen. He doesn't flash or gulp or rub. He poops regularly a seats fine, and didn't react at all to the Prazi treatment. I've only had him for a week and a half, but I'm already considering putting him in with Kappa. . . I think I'll still wait, however, because Kappa might try to eat him he's so tiny. So I'll work on bulking him up with fbw and fbs and hope he gets a little bigger before the meet and greet time arrives.

Also, my mothers fish all have ich. She put some cories from PetCo in with her rank without QT- she refuses to QT- and now they're all sick. She's treating with an ich med called 'quick cure', which she just happened to have on hand. Last I heard, they still had ich.

Lastly, Torrent is no longer in my betta tank. He didn't die, he's fine, but since the last scuffle with Pascal, he's been feeling pretty down. So, my brother added him to his ten gallon divided betta tank. He seems much, much happier there and my brother actually likes him, so. . . Positive all around.

Oh, and the 20g I purchased passed the leak check.

Fresh peas or frozen? Or does it matter?

Either is fine.  I usually have frozen in my freezer.  Just making sure, You do microwave them for a little bit in some water, right?  I'll put a few in a half cup of water and nook for about 90 seconds. ( just enough to soften them)  If he's not doing better tomorrow you might want to make a thread in the d&d thread.  He could possibly be floaty also from the food(s) you might be feeding him.  The mods can help you rule them out if your feeding more than one type of food/pellet.  You'll usually want to rule a food out by feeding one at a time for a while and see how the fish is doing.  If all is okay, than start on another food and see how that goes. 

Your done with the prazi treatment?  It's usually recommended to do at 4 rounds of prazi on a new fish.