Back in the Game

I saw the most perfect little black oranda goldfish at my lfs today. Unfortunately, I hadn't known that my family would be over that way and I left my wallet at home. I'm finally in a place where I can readily purchase a fish, and I wasn't able to get the one. So disappointing.

There will be more, but he did sound like a cutie :)

Ha, yeah I know. i've just never wanted one particular fish this much. But the pet store won't hold pets for more than a day, so... :idont I have to leave for a few days for work tonite anyways, so it's probably for the best.

So i came home from staying with a friend for the past couple days and saw dirt scattered all over the bottom of my tank. First thought? What did Josh do!

Then I remember I own a goldfish. You see, I added a few decorations with dirt and plants last week as I was sick of seeing the emptiness of my tank and I wanted to test the lights in my tank against plants. So although I'm pleased that Kappa is moving around again (he has been lethargic for awhile now) I do wish that he would play with something that wasn't so messy!

Just purchased the stand for my tank. It should arrive in about a week. On Wednesday, I plan on purchasing the dirt and stuff that I need for dirting the tank, which will happen as soon as I receive and build the stand. So, yay! It's finally happening!

So i came home from staying with a friend for the past couple days and saw dirt scattered all over the bottom of my tank. First thought? What did Josh do!

Then I remember I own a goldfish. You see, I added a few decorations with dirt and plants last week as I was sick of seeing the emptiness of my tank and I wanted to test the lights in my tank against plants. So although I'm pleased that Kappa is moving around again (he has been lethargic for awhile now) I do wish that he would play with something that wasn't so messy!

Just purchased the stand for my tank. It should arrive in about a week. On Wednesday, I plan on purchasing the dirt and stuff that I need for dirting the tank, which will happen as soon as I receive and build the stand. So, yay! It's finally happening!

Can't wait for an update I've just dirted my 42 gallon and love it, it looks so clean even with the cap being gravel :)

Can't wait for an update I've just dirted my 42 gallon and love it, it looks so clean even with the cap being gravel :)

Thanks, I also can't wait to do it! Plus, as he seems to love to sift through things, I'm excited to see how happy he'll be when I finally add some substrate to his tank. I think for about a week after his tank is dirted he'll live in qt tub, just to give the plants a little bit of time to root themselves. I don't want him just to keep digging them up, although he still very well could. He has cabomba and crypts in his tank right now and he loves harassing the crypts. They might just get transferred to the betta tank when his tank is all nice and set up, depending on whether or not he'll leave them alone!

So far for plants I'll have;

-bacopa monieri

-vallisneria (corkscrew, jungle and Italian)

-banana plants

-dwarf lilies

-assorted aponogetons

-onion plant (maybe)

-cryptocoryne wedtii

-cryptocoryne wendtii green

-assorted stalk plants I don't know names of

I'm really excited for this! At the same time, I know it's gonna be a hassle, because I'll have to move all of my things around in my room to accomodate the new stand, and I'll have to totally empty the 30g to move it... But, I think in the end it will be definitely worth my trouble!

That said, does anyone know how to find out the make and model of a sink so I can get a faucet adapter? None of the sinks in my house fit my water vac and I'm dying to try it out X3

Thanks, I also can't wait to do it! Plus, as he seems to love to sift through things, I'm excited to see how happy he'll be when I finally add some substrate to his tank. I think for about a week after his tank is dirted he'll live in qt tub, just to give the plants a little bit of time to root themselves. I don't want him just to keep digging them up, although he still very well could. He has cabomba and crypts in his tank right now and he loves harassing the crypts. They might just get transferred to the betta tank when his tank is all nice and set up, depending on whether or not he'll leave them alone!

So far for plants I'll have;

-bacopa monieri

-vallisneria (corkscrew, jungle and Italian)

-banana plants

-dwarf lilies

-assorted aponogetons

-onion plant (maybe)

-cryptocoryne wedtii

-cryptocoryne wendtii green

-assorted stalk plants I don't know names of

I'm really excited for this! At the same time, I know it's gonna be a hassle, because I'll have to move all of my things around in my room to accomodate the new stand, and I'll have to totally empty the 30g to move it... But, I think in the end it will be definitely worth my trouble!

That said, does anyone know how to find out the make and model of a sink so I can get a faucet adapter? None of the sinks in my house fit my water vac and I'm dying to try it out X3

Sorry I have no clue about the faucet as I use buckets for 4 of my tanks and the siphon out the window for the 42 gallon

My tank is now fully dirted! It has been set up like this for a few days now, and the water is perfectly clear. Still, I'm waiting to add Kappa back in until Sunday, just to give the plants a bit more time to acclimate. I'd love to give them much more time to recover, but unfortunately, Kappa can't remain in a 10g QT tub for that much longer. Plus, my brother is planning on buying fish this weekend and needs the QT tub cleaned out by Sunday night!

I have yet to order;

-banana lilies

-dwarf lilies

-aponogetons

and the crypts have been given to my sister. I've found the perfect center piece for my aquarium, however. It's a sculpture- a living sculpture- with java moss that I found on Etsy. I'm not going to tell you any more than that, but it's going to be amazing!

Also, I've decided not to get another goldfish to go into the 29g. Instead, I will be purchasing 2 Albino BN plecos for there instead. Which of course means that I need to buy some caves and driftwood, but that can easily be arranged. I'm very excited, and have spent all morning reading up on them. My parents are even totally okay with my going through with the purchase of 2 BN plecos. So basically, I have the full green light! I'll keep you guys updated on my progress in finding the perfect two and the recovery of my plants as well.

Just did my first ever wc with the python water vac! Yeah so it turns out after weeks of pouting and whining about how it didn't fit my sink and obsessing over getting a faucet adapter I realized I'd been using it wrong and it actually fit my sink perfectly. So, there's that. I did a 75% wc on my newly dirted tank.

It took forEVER to drain, and then when I went to refill it, the water GUSHED into my tank, upsetting the sand and making a mess! Clearly this method is not as easy as I was led to believe! But hopefully, I'll get used to it and have an easier time with it.

When I get paid Friday I will be buying new lights for my tank and I believe I'll be using 1 coralife colormax and one coralife 6700k. I've read that this is optimal, but suggestions are welcome. Sunday I will be adding Kappa back into the tank. So excited!

I decided to move Kappa back over to his tank today and hope he doesn't destroy everything. Just to be safe, I tested the water.

pH: 6

Ammonia: .5 ppm

I was confused by the pH, as I thought we had a pH of 7.6, so I tested the QT tank where Kappa is currently living, figuring that maybe the new dirt had softened the water.

pH of QT: 6

Confused, I decided to check the pH of my betta tank. I haven't tested the pH in there for awhile and there is absolutely 0 dirt of any kind, just gravel.

Betta pH: 6

So, huh. Apparently the pH of our water has changed. I'm surprised we didn't notice this sooner, and that it hasn't caused any issues. Just goes to show you how hardy fish can be, I guess!

Now I look back to the .5 ppm of ammonia. I could do a large wc, but with my stepmom home, I decided it would be safer to double dose with Prime, as I've seen many of you do when a wc isn't possible. Whoops, put in too much... Two capfuls instead of slightly over one. Read on back, learned it isn't harmful to do as much as 5x normal dose. Hopefully this will be fine.

Now to move Kappa over.

Good news- Kappa went in fine and without fight! Boy am I happy to have him back in his tank... And clearly, he's happy to have all his space back, too. I'm very happy with my overall fish tank situation right now. Kappa's tank is nicely planted and all the plants are adjusting. He's happy with his new jungle, and I have my dresser back. Nothing could be better... So now, let's celebrate with some pictures!

http://vid1101.photobucket.com/albums/g435/rockanrollprincess/Aquariums/Newly%20Planted/DSCN7299.mp4

First and foremost, a video. This is Kappa as he first noses around his new home and learns the joys of having plants to swim through.

DSCN7286.jpg

Two of my cories, Thing 2 and Skunk, who reside in my 10g with Torrent.

DSCN7283.jpg

Torrent in his tank with the cories. The flash washed out his reds, but the rays of his tail are really a pretty purplish red.

DSCN7288.jpg

Pascal, my other betta, in his part of the tank.

DSCN7289.jpg

DSCN7291.jpg

The weirdness of identical pH in all three of the setups- 29g w/ dirt, pea gravel and sand, QT with a bit of clay litter, and 10g with gravel. Just weird, cause I didn't realize the pH of our water was so low- around 6.

DSCN7293.jpg

Kappa's temp home while I was fixing him up a planted tank. Before you get worried, it was a 10g fish safe tub with a light, bubbler and filter.

DSCN7285.jpg

My betta boys. I plan to be getting a 2nd tank for Pascal to live in- A smallish one, 3-5 gallons, because I can't have another 10g.

DSCN7292.jpg
Another shot of Kappa's messy temp home. The stuff all over the bottom is kitty litter that had been temporarily in the cup while it held cabomba and ludwigia. It got dumped after I took the plants out and since the QT was on the floor, it was too low to vacuum out. Oddly enough, Kappa liked it in there!

DSCN7278.jpg
Vallisneria, rotala, in 29g tank. Obviously the vals aren't quite adjusted.

DSCN7280.jpg

Torrent and the Cat's side of the 10g. There are water stains on the outside of his tank that I really need to clean up.

DSCN7281.jpg

Torrent again... Not sure what my hand is doing there :P Again, this photo nowhere near captures his beauty.

DSCN7277.jpg

Amazon sword, bacopa, cabomba, and ludwigia, I believe (29g). Very pleased, the Cabomba has some new growth.

DSCN7279.jpg

Pascal grumping it out

DSCN7294.jpg

My bamboo, growing in the filter

DSCN7276.jpg

Body shot of the 29g

DSCN7310.jpg

My driftwood, in a 3g critter keeper to keep it wet until I can boil it tonight

DSCN7308.jpg

Side view

DSCN7307.jpg

Bottom view. There's a little in- bubble. Should I do something about that? Will it hold stagnant water?

DSCN7313.jpg

One of my house plants, Kalanchoe blossfeldiana

DSCN7311.jpg

My other plants, two jade plants and a spider plant

DSCN7301.jpg
DSCN7303.jpgDSCN7304.jpg
For size

DSCN7297.jpg

Just to show what his size is now. The cup is 3 3/4 inch, and he is the full length of it. Kappa loves that cup.

DSCN7296.jpg

DSCN7295.jpg

And that's all for pictures. I hope you enjoyed seeing all my tanks and the stuff in them! Best of luck to all of you out there... Wish me luck with keeping plants alive around a goldfish!

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

I brought back the T5 HO lights I'd purchased online today. Thankfully the store took them and I got all of my money back. That said, it was a bit disappointing because they gave it all back on a gift card, which restricts me to purchasing more things from their store when the lights I was planning on getting instead are a set of LEDs off of eBay. Not one to be denied by something silly like necessities, I purchased two packs of plant bulbs and a package of NLS goldfish pellets, small. I've been meaning to buy these things for awhile and this finally allowed me to do so, for neither of these items are sold at their online store.

And: For the first time ever, I saw albino BN plecos in person! They were sooooooo cute and wiggly! I love, love, LOVE them! I can't wait for my own plecos to arrive and become part of my fishy family. I'm glad I was able to purchase them from a reputable breeder, because there is no way I would have felt comfortable buying them from the petco tank. There were dead fish floating around in there and it was pretty nasty. They had lots of nice plant arrangements, though, and I almost bought a ring like thing with anubias growing all around it for my betta tank, and a coconut tube thing grown over with java ferns for my goldfish tank. But, no sales associate showed up. Hence my previously stated purchases.

It's around 5 pm here and I kept falling asleep on the way home from Petco so I'm gonna take a nap and do the WC after dinner. Expect another update then.

Ciao,

Emilee

The tank is looking great and I love your bettas :) can't wait to see your new bristlenose plecos and Kappa has changed a lot :)

Thanks a lot! I'm really loving the new planted tank. My sis and I were actually going through this yesterday and talking about how much my tank has changed. Overall, I'm happy with the changes. I'll be sure to pass on the compliments to Torrent and Pascal. They are quite the compliment hogs, and will be happy to know they are appreciated. Kappa is too stuck up to take notice to compliments (given he's convinced he's ruler of the world and all) but I do appreciate it and I thank you. I'm glad you like him.

The tank is looking great and I love your bettas :) can't wait to see your new bristlenose plecos and Kappa has changed a lot :)

Thanks a lot! I'm really loving the new planted tank. My sis and I were actually going through this yesterday and talking about how much my tank has changed. Overall, I'm happy with the changes. I'll be sure to pass on the compliments to Torrent and Pascal. They are quite the compliment hogs, and will be happy to know they are appreciated. Kappa is too stuck up to take notice to compliments (given he's convinced he's ruler of the world and all) but I do appreciate it and I thank you. I'm glad you like him.

I dirted my goldfish tank but have pulled out some of the gravel at the front and changed it to black sand over the dirt and putting my tropicals in :)

Oooooh I can't wait for more updates!!! I've been reading your thread from day one and I will be following it so I'm not late on updates!

Awesome! I didn't think people actually read this, haha! I'll be posting some fishy videos later today, so you won't have to wait long! :P

I dirted my goldfish tank but have pulled out some of the gravel at the front and changed it to black sand over the dirt and putting my tropicals in :)

Is it hard to pull bits and pieces out after you've capped it? I have way too much dirt in my tank and I was contemplating trying to remove some, but I have no idea how I'd do that without making a complete mess. Ideas?

Oooooh I can't wait for more updates!!! I've been reading your thread from day one and I will be following it so I'm not late on updates!

Awesome! I didn't think people actually read this, haha! I'll be posting some fishy videos later today, so you won't have to wait long! :P

Is it hard to pull bits and pieces out after you've capped it? I have way too much dirt in my tank and I was contemplating trying to remove some, but I have no idea how I'd do that without making a complete mess. Ideas?

I used a fish net to get my gravel out then let the dirt settle and re add the substrate :)

I purchased a few packs of bulbs at PetCo last week, as I believe I mentioned, and thought I'd show you how they're doing now, along with some pictures of my new banana lilies, which I love more than anything. Are you ready?

DSCN7419.jpg

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention... There may be some pics of Kappa mixed in. :whistle

DSCN7421.jpg

Full tank shot! Oh my gosh my camera makes Kappa look like such a creep. He's really quite a handsome fish but the glare and everything makes him look :thumbdown . I will be arranging the banana plants when I clean the tank. For now, I just dropped them in.

DSCN7422.jpg

I might just keep those two there- I think they look quite at home, don't you? Of course by the time I'm writing this Kappa has already moved them. Apparently he didn't like to have them there. :madrant

DSCN7423.jpg

Look at the happy new leaf! Either it grew in the day or so it was in my tank or it grew in the mail, but all I can sat is :heart

DSCN7418.jpg

Super close up pic to show the growth on the aponogeton bulb and onion bulb. The onion one is the one that... you know, looks like an onion. Kappa ate the 'wrapping' off of it ;)

DSCN7417.jpg

Omnomnom, yummy plant bulb! :joke

DSCN7404.jpg

When they were sitting in a tangled mass in my 10g with Torrent and Co. :help1

DSCN7413.jpg

I took 'em out to show all y'alls. :ehh

DSCN7420.jpg

My favorite corner of Kappa's tank- the stem plants. I've never had stem plants successfully grow before, and to finally have them flourish makes me so happy! :bounce

DSCN7416.jpg

The only plant I really cared about growing- the lily! I want two of these lilies in the corner. Hopefully one of the other three will decide to grow! :aint::rofl3

DSCN7412.jpg

Healthy new growth nyyyyyyyyyyaaaahhh! Oh, and my fingers. :icecream

DSCN7414.jpg

Dropped 2 into Pascal's side of the tank. Then realized it was super messy, looked like war zone. Don't worry, I did an 80% wc on that tank today and it's looking much better! :mytank1:

DSCN7406.jpg

Ain't those some mighty fine rhizomes? :laugh:

DSCN7410.jpg

A little bonus... Some videos!

My brother (age 7) grabbed my camera when my back was turned and tried to video Kappa eating. I thought his attempt was totally cute, so, :uwelcome

Kappa eating algae wafers, a video taken by moi. The title, 'Il mange la nouriture', means 'he eats (or 'is eating') the food, in french. I don't know, just felt like giving it a different name. I'm not sure what was going on with the randomly getting closer to him so you couldn't really see anything? I can't remember what I was trying to show you. :ignore

And lastly, my cory cats! I have three. The two albinos, Thing 1 and Thing 2, and the other one, Skunk. Can anyone tell me what kind he is? With only the one of him, he's super skittish and I'd like to get him a buddy but I can't tell for sure what kind he is. :help:

Also if you look back in my blog you'll notice missing pictures. Sorry about that... I organized Photobucket today and didn't realize that would happen. I'd love to go back and fix them all, but apparently I can't go back and edit after people have commented on them, or... Something like that. It's a total pet peeve of mine when that happens, so I'm going to have to find some sort of way to work this out. Just hang in there! :k055:

Love the tank and now hand Kappa over and nobody gets hurt :lol: the cory may be a bronze cory but looks a tiny bit different to my bronze cory so is probably a different species :huh:

Are you crazy? Kappa ain't goin' nowhere! :pp I don't think Skunk is a bronze cory, unfortunately. His stripe is higher on his body and more defined, with a smaller, thinner stripe beneath it. Thanks, glad you like the tank!

MY PLECOS ARRIVED TODAY!

Look at their perfection

DSCN7455.jpgDSCN7457.jpgDSCN7454.jpgDSCN7456.jpgDSCN7450.jpgDSCN7451.jpgDSCN7447.jpg

If I have my way and I can find the right names, my plecos will have matching names- pair names- that are mythical monsters of old, like Kappa's name. Preferably Asian in descent. Any suggestion is welcome, though, so feel free to suggest something. 'Kappa' is an ancient japanese river monster who ate children. What will the plecos be?

That's all for now!

XOXOXOXOXO

Morgan'sMiracles

I forgot to add... I have a few videos :P

Does Kappa seem too fat? Or pineconed at all? I think I'm just paranoid, but I need someone to tell me I'm just paranoid before I can stop being paranoid, please and thanks.

When I first put the plecos in. It was sooo hard to get my camera to focus on them!

• 1 month later...

I feel sick to my stomach. I've never had such a scare before from my fish! I cleaned the tanks today, with big wc on both my 10g and my 29g, and minimal problems. All my plants are doing well and exploding with growth. In my 10g, I removed the cories and transferred them to my mum's 30g so they could be with other cories. That even went well. That was a few days ago, however, and not important right now. ANyhow, I moved the divider into the middle of the tank so Pascal would have more room and he and Torrent would be overall happier. After finishing with my tanks, I've spent the past few hours typing up one of my stories.

I got up upon being called for dessert and saw PASCAL AND TORRENT IN THE SAME SIDE. FIGHTING. @!#%^!ty$v$!!!!!

Thankfully I caught them before any serious damage was done, but Pascal seems pretty shaken up. He's lost quite a bit of tail, and I certainly haven't recovered. I'm quite shaken up, probably more than both of the bettas. Torrent seems deeply violated, as it was clearly Pascal who instigated- they were on Torrent's side of the tank, meaning Pascal jumped over- and Pascal seems pretty worse for wear.

I drained about a gallon of water to prevent any further jumping from being possible. If either of them had gotten seriously hurt I never could forgive myself. I saw them flaring at each other, I knew the water was too high... :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall :wall:SmackBottom:

• 2 months later...

It's been about a bazillion years since I posted on here, so I'll try to update y'all with what's happened in my tanks.

In the ten gallon:

My cory cats no longer love there! I moved them to my mom's 30g tank at her house. Subsequently, she messed things up and her whole system crashed. Every fish but Thing One, Skunk, and her two Corys died. Oh, and a danio or two. Even her plants died!!! It's insane. I'm in erodible thankful, however, that most of the Corys are fine. She was overstocked with tropical fish before, and now she isn't. So, there is a silver lining. . . I guess. Skunk is still afraid of the three albino cories. I keep telling her to buy more dark colored ones like him, but she would probably buy a bunch of other fish too, and she doesn't quarantine so they'd prob all just die. . .

Pascal and Torrent have fought two more times since I last posted. It's getting really old. I also purchased four snails; one purple, two gold, one white. The smaller golden one died, but I still have the white and the gold in my tank. Purple lives in my elder brother's tank and is named Joker. Other than that. . . The tank is doing well. Not much to report.

29g:

Kappa is fat and happy. He scraped his tail on something the other day and managed to pry off a scale, but other than that. . . He's huge now. I'm so pleased. And I have lots of plants in his tank. The Vals are growing in pretty well in the back, my stems are fine, the moss on my Mosszilla and Mozzman are coming in, my aponogetons are good. . . Basically everything about this tank is good.

That said, I'm really struggling against the urge to purchase another gf. My LFS has some super cute tiny ones of all types and colors and it's killing me! But I know it wouldn't be fair to Aquila, Prisca, and Kappa to get any more fish. I'm very close to overstocked as it is, even with my gazillion GPH. Aquila and Prisca are the plecs, by the way. They've both grown some. Not much, but some. I'm pretty sure they're both female, considering neither has any bristles whatsoever. But, what can you do? I love 'Em none the less. My tank looks very, very different form when I last posted pictures in the summer. My plants have grown in a lot and I have some new ones. Come this Friday, I'll be buying a new bulb that will hopefully work better. . . And maybe some more Vals, cause I really want a thick curtain of 'EM in the back.

Aso, put black foam core on the back of both my tanks to hide the wiring and filters. Yay me, haha.

Actually, I need to do something about my 10g. It is attrociously ugly. It may be safely stable, but the Java ferns are hardly growing and the rocks they are on are too big and hide crap. Maybe I'll buy a bunch of Vals and just put them in there, haha. At some point, I really want to dirt and sandmy ten, but I really have nowhere to put my Bettas and snails while I do it. True, I do have a 3G critter keeper and, true, my brother does have two empty 5gs lying around, but I doubt he'd appreciate my leaving my betta's in his room while I messed with their tanks. And plus, I left my sand and dirt and gravel outside, so it's not really usable now. . . Snow, rain, and muggy/freezing cold weather has filled it with bugs and yuck. So I'd have to buy more dirt and sand. Unless it's possible to wash bugs and yuck out of dirt and sand? I don't know.

I'll post some pics of the tanks this afternoon. I'd love to get all your opinion on what to do with my ugly ten gallon, even if your solution is opening up two five gallons instead.

Put it in storage as a quarantine tank and buy a 40 gallon long at Petco's dollar-per-gallon sale (going on right now).  And then get a new goldfish!   :donthit:

Edited for clarity

Edited by landmouse