Back in the Game

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

I’m not really sure; I took it from my brother and it’s one of the automatic ones. It might’ve just been too high of a wattage, but he has all 10g or smaller so idk. Probably the internal thermometer is off. 86 is too hot right? Probably the light was strong and contributed to the heat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's to hot for any fresh water fish 😜

That's to hot for any fresh water fish [emoji12]

I figured!! Just wanted to make sure LOL!

Managed a 2g change today; we had to run out after our meeting at the kingdom hall. We are having dinner at the in laws (yay I don’t have to cook!) so I’ll have to be sure to do a 4g one Tuesday.

My pond has got to 86 in the middle of summer here :rofl Even one of my tanks did last year [emoji33] Wasnt fun!

Were all the inhabitants aright? My swords seem much happier now that the tank is cooler; with just the light on the temp stays right around 75.

Yea they were all fine thankfully!

Glad to hear it! They all seem to be fully recovered from the heat; it was crazy, I touched the glass and it was so warm! My hubby was convinced it was fine lol but I’m glad I bought the thermometer and was able to fix it.

I’m uncertain that Mabel is actually pregnant. I’m starting to think she is just older and fatter than Smitty and Sable. [emoji1787] Only time will tell I suppose! They had kohaku swords that were barely an inch long at petco when I got them, but the one male had no sword! So I chose these ones instead.

Can someone move this to blogs? I can’t find my other one so I might as well keep using this to track my fish.

Mabel seemed really unwell today. Her fins have been clamped on and off and she has been hiding behind the filter. So I was doing a wc, figuring maybe the levels were bothering her, and I found babies! I scooped out all 4 I could find and she might have a few more in her but idk if I’ll catch them too. She is definitely stressed but I’m not sure how to help!

In other news, what the heck do I need to do for baby fish? Do they need a filter or air pump? Do they need separate food? I’m so lost as to what they need. Please help!

2a85d5a2779b2e5a98fe46abe8e76aef.jpg

Also your other Blog thread is here:

I can Merge them if you want or just move this one over?

If you could merge them that would be great! Do fry need a filter or are daily wc sufficient? I’m gonna get a breeder box today I think cause I’m nervous my cat will push them off the dresser!

• Supporter

Done!

I usually used a sponge filter with my fry with very low output.  I've only ever had Goldie and Cory fry though! Well I had guppy fry but I left them in the tank lol

Done!

I usually used a sponge filter with my fry with very low output.  I've only ever had Goldie and Cory fry though! Well I had guppy fry but I left them in the tank lol

Thanks Mandy! I got a breeder box for them. Does safe start actually work? I bought some cause I’m worried about my tank parameters with babies in there! I also got a background and 5 in 1 test strips.

And baby stuff was super cheap so I bought some of that too [emoji23]

• Admin
3 hours ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Thanks Mandy! I got a breeder box for them. Does safe start actually work? I bought some cause I’m worried about my tank parameters with babies in there! I also got a background and 5 in 1 test strips.

And baby stuff was super cheap so I bought some of that too emoji23.png

Is it the breeders box in the main tank? What kind is it.

I normally leave them in the main tank and have plenty of hiding spots (plants). Some will get eaten, but I found its less stressful for the fry.

As for mom how many males do you gave? It should be 1 male to 2 females or more.

Is it the breeders box in the main tank? What kind is it.
I normally leave them in the main tank and have plenty of hiding spots (plants). Some will get eaten, but I found its less stressful for the fry.
As for mom how many males do you gave? It should be 1 male to 2 females or more.

1m2f. She still seems stressed even after a night apart. I’m a little annoyed; I bought test strips and didn’t realize they don’t test for ammonia! So although I’m reading nitrates I don’t know if I have ammonia hurting them. Anyways I did put on a breeder box today; they were in a Tupperware separate overnight. I’m not planning on going out of my way to save any future batches but I just have no plants for them to hide in right now so I figured I’d give them a chance!

• Helper
On 6/14/2019 at 8:44 PM, Morgan'sMiracles said:

So I didn’t end up getting goldfish. I got three pineapple swordtails instead. I couldn’t bring myself to put a goldfish in such a small tank.

That was probably the best choice, honestly.  I can’t wait to see your new cuties!

• Admin
On 6/20/2019 at 11:13 AM, Morgan'sMiracles said:

1m2f. She still seems stressed even after a night apart. I’m a little annoyed; I bought test strips and didn’t realize they don’t test for ammonia! So although I’m reading nitrates I don’t know if I have ammonia hurting them. Anyways I did put on a breeder box today; they were in a Tupperware separate overnight. I’m not planning on going out of my way to save any future batches but I just have no plants for them to hide in right now so I figured I’d give them a chance!

Females get stressed out for about 2 days after giving birth.

All three of my swords seem off this weekend. I’m unsure if it’s the temperature or if they need a water change. I added safe start (or whatever that bacteria bottle is called) to the tank in hopes of providing more stable condition for the fry. However my test strips don’t test for ammonia [emoji2356] so I have no clue if it’s actually doing anything. All the babies seem fine, although it’s rare for me to see all five of them at once, as they have some java moss and frogbit that they hide in. They don’t seem to have grown at all but they’re much more active.

I’m thinking that I’ll add eco complete or black fluorite as the media at the bottom of my tank. I added a background and it would complement that and my swords coloration very nicely. Eventually I’d like to have a lush, beautiful tank that others look at and covet [emoji1787] but for now I’m unimpressed. I have a nice java fern that my swords like, and a handful of java moss and some hornwort that I wrapped around the handle of a mug so it doesn’t end up in my filter. I scattered blue and white decorative marbles over the bottom too. It’s just not to my taste; I merely wanted to set it up ASAP on a limited budget.

• Admin

How big is the tank again? You could add some aquarium salt, guppies ans mollies and swords like it. But I need the tank size to help ya. Have you tested your ammonia yet?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

How big is the tank again? You could add some aquarium salt, guppies ans mollies and swords like it. But I need the tank size to help ya. Have you tested your ammonia yet?

I haven’t tested the ammonia yet. I did a waterchange yesterday and they all seem good now. I’m not sure what their deal was. I am wondering if my thermometer is broken. It read 96 with the heater on yesterday and they seemed so much happier than wth it off. They still seem happy today at 78. I’m going to get them a heater. It is a 10g tank.

• Admin

I haven’t tested the ammonia yet. I did a waterchange yesterday and they all seem good now. I’m not sure what their deal was. I am wondering if my thermometer is broken. It read 96 with the heater on yesterday and they seemed so much happier than wth it off. They still seem happy today at 78. I’m going to get them a heater. It is a 10g tank.

If your heater is off during the day you should be fine. I would check the temperature at night at when you wake up. You don't want them to get below 75f.

• Helper

Holy

cow!

What wattage is the heater? Too big of one can sometimes cause problems, even though they’re supposed to shut off when the water reaches temperature.  Definitely double check that, and use a human thermometer to verify if the calibration in the tank one is correct.

Holy
cow!

What wattage is the heater? Too big of one can sometimes cause problems, even though they’re supposed to shut off when the water reaches temperature.  Definitely double check that, and use a human thermometer to verify if the calibration in the tank one is correct.

I don’t know the wattage as I borrowed it from my brother, but his largest tank is a 10g. So I’m not sure why it’s getting so hot. I will definitely check the tank using a food thermometer.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a 60% wc today. My swords have still been acting funky other than Sable and the babies. They were very active during the wc though! I cleared out as much of the duckweed as I could cause I hate it, but the new plants my brother gave me has a bunch. I cleared it as best I could, but I’d say it’ll be a few deep cleans before it’s all gone! My babies are getting so big! I moved them to the other side near the filter so they’d get more movement. They are all getting close to half an inch, if they aren’t already. I’m gonna start adding flakes to their box but they’re doing good on just biofilm LOL! They have a bunch of java moss in with them, and there was salvinia and duckweed but I got rid of as much as I could.

In total I know have;
-1 mother java fern with a TON of babies
-1 large tangle (maybe a foot or two) of a plant which I think is related to money worth of penny wort; I’ll upload a pic later
-2 bunches of hornwort, one of which is about the size of a tennis ball!
-golf ball bunch of java moss
-5” Anubias (its a larger leaves variety but I’m not sure what it is; also from my brother)

I also added bio matrix to my filter so the water is a little cloudy right now. Hopefully it’ll help me get a nice strong cycle going! My brother also gave me a 1/4 bottle of prime that he forgot he had! So it’s been a pretty prosperous day for me and my tanks.

Finally, aquarium co-op is having a 10% off sale today and their shipping is only 4.99! So I got a banana plant, a dwarf lily, and a sponge prefilter so any remaining duckweed/ dropped hornwort needles don’t clog my filter!

So yeah it’s been a good fish tank day [emoji23] I’m gonna add black gravel with my next wc because I HATE the glass marbles. I’m also considering getting something else for the tank. Maybe a small school of neons or some snails, mystery or some blue ramshorns.