Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

Finally got around to buying some ramshorns for my crazy algae filled 10g. I bought 8. They sent 12. Lucky me.

Do i need a calcium supplement for the ramshorns like i did for my mystery snail?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Finally got around to buying some ramshorns for my crazy algae filled 10g. I bought 8. They sent 12. Lucky me.

Do i need a calcium supplement for the ramshorns like i did for my mystery snail?

I would probably say yes just to be on the safe side :)

So I've mentioned elsewhere about my import catastrophe but i suppose it should be mentioned here as well. I purchased 5 goldfish for an aquaponics set up from CoastGem and started qt. They seemed fine for a week or so, and then everything went haywire. I had one a day die for three consecutive days. Now, i have two little fish left- a small calico ryukin (who is filling out really well and, i think, has already put on some nice weight since i bought her) and a little white tele (who, other than the incident with the syphon, seens healthy and happy. There was even significant chasing last night during the waterchange!) They are going to begin round two of prazi this afternoon, once i get home from school.

I ran the tank where the beautiful, dead calico was with bleach and an active filter for an hour. I put in about a half gallon of bleach, so it should be good. I emptied it and put it on the deck. Today I'll wipe it down with dechlorinator and set it back up... Is this too quick? It is my only real qt tank, and the parents are getting antsy with the giant tubs on the floor, but i will continue to use the tub if it isn't safe yet.

Next Friday is the last day of school, so during the wc next Thursday i will bring my three at school home (more tubs on the floor, yay! ) and then i can get some good videos for you. Biggs, Clara and Monet have all grown so much while at school!! It's crazy how nice their fins are, and how fat they've gotten. So once they come home, I'll have Biggs, Clara, Monet in one tub, Blanche and little ryukin in another tub, and Pudding, Marley, Jenni in the 29g.

That's eight goldfish . I'm a littttle overstocked, but all my fish are small right now and aquaponics are in the works for every gf tank. My at- school tank has three healthy kale plants on floaters and three ivy vines growing from the filters, and my 29g has a spiderplant in the filter. However, we will be purchasing the foam, rockwool, seeds and growing media in the next week or two to get everything set up. I also need to get some lights... How do you suggest suspending them? Is it possible without hanging wires from the ceiling?

I know this is a giant, boring text block without any pictures, but I'm using data right now... Forums are blocked at school. I'll post some videos later.

Xoxoxo

-Em

So after conversing with my vocational teacher, it seems I will be bringing home the remaining three school gf for the summer. A black Moore, a comet(common??) and a pearl scale. I'm happy because it means they'll get water changes, be treated for flukes and with salt and have bountiful room. However, it also means another tub on the floor of my room, which is... Less great. I'm hoping ms. O will let me keep them altogether and NOT BUY MORE when I graduate. Then I will know they're well cared for. That'll bring me up to 11 goldfish at my house this summer!!

I have high hopes for the remaining coast gem gf. Both seem happy and healthy, and even though they're going through prazi treatment, I've had no complaints from them. I do have a question, though-- when I bring home the school fish, could they be qt'd with the coast gem fish? Both will need salt and prazi treatment. Like, if I did a week of salt+ one round of prazi, could I then put them together? Just... Let me know!

Alrightie, now for some pics!!

https://vimeo.com/169142714

I say pics, but I more mean videos, haha. This is last night during wc.

https://vimeo.com/169142947

And here is Marley, Jenni and Pudding during wc last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://vimeo.com/169155256

My tropical tank! Unfortunately, my pretty betta is hiding, and so are my ansorgiis! So all you get to see is one of the plecos and some tetras. Sorry!!

https://vimeo.com/169155738

My 29g with Marley (dark oranda), Jenni (r&w oranda) and Pudding (ranchu). They were being lazy post wc and just wanted me to leave them alone.

https://vimeo.com/169155991

Blanche and the newly named Robber/ta (calico), as named by my brother because s/he " looks like a thief" cause of the one button eye. They seem pretty happy, despite being early round two of prazi.61f7409cbb2ce73e133482b5d339af98.jpg

Quarter sized ramshorn

a8e46931e173615afc625d729b64a729.jpg

Storm was being moody. He had such brilliant colors, but he just won't let me showcase them!

872abd545a87955dd8a04c0c0660ed81.jpg

I put on a bg I crafted with construction paper and lots of tape to keep out extra sun. Hopefully this'll slow algae growth, and just maaaaaybe the snails can eat it all up!!

Are those black neon tetra in the community tank?  How many do you have? I only see 2, they do better in groups of 6 or more.  Be mindful as tetra can get nippy with betta fins, specifically as they mature and when they don't have a proepr school size to spread aggression on amongst themselves.

You have green hair algae in the tank that had a lot of extra sunlight coming int.  Its a common algae for too much/long/bright light (window+tank usually gets this).  Sadly snails don't eat hair algae.  Best thing is to manually remove it all and do as you did-reduce light.  You cna also dose Seachem Excel in the tank as it works to kill hair algae.  using a syringe (or needle-less syringe) to spot dose areas helps.  You can also look up the "1-2 punch" for hair algae, its on another forum but gives good info on how to fight it.  Note: the 1-2 punch method can harm some fish like otos.

I also notice your ramshorn has some chips missing in its shell, it looks to be suffering form a bit of calcium deficiency.  You may want to get calcium source in there either: bagged crush coral (for filter), or crushed lime stone works (note will raise hardness), or you can get a snail gel food called snello-it has calcium in it.

Your betta looks lovely from what I can see, mustard (blue and yellow) plakat ^^

Are those black neon tetra in the community tank? How many do you have? I only see 2, they do better in groups of 6 or more. Be mindful as tetra can get nippy with betta fins, specifically as they mature and when they don't have a proepr school size to spread aggression on amongst themselves.

You have green hair algae in the tank that had a lot of extra sunlight coming int. Its a common algae for too much/long/bright light (window+tank usually gets this). Sadly snails don't eat hair algae. Best thing is to manually remove it all and do as you did-reduce light. You cna also dose Seachem Excel in the tank as it works to kill hair algae. using a syringe (or needle-less syringe) to spot dose areas helps. You can also look up the "1-2 punch" for hair algae, its on another forum but gives good info on how to fight it. Note: the 1-2 punch method can harm some fish like otos.

I also notice your ramshorn has some chips missing in its shell, it looks to be suffering form a bit of calcium deficiency. You may want to get calcium source in there either: bagged crush coral (for filter), or crushed lime stone works (note will raise hardness), or you can get a snail gel food called snello-it has calcium in it.

Your betta looks lovely from what I can see, mustard (blue and yellow) plakat ^^

Hello! They are false penguin tetras, and there are six of them. They've never gone after my betta, thankfully, and I've had them 2+ years.

I wasn't aware snails didn't eat hair algae... That stinks. I am probably just gonna tear out the hygro and get a less delicate plant... A nice anubias piece would do well. As for the chips on their shells, they did have those when i got them. However, i agree that this requires amending. Previously I've used cuttlefish bones for calcium, and i am not against doing this again. Im not a big fan of adding things that will mess with my water chemistry, and im pretty sure crushed coral messes with pH too.

Thank you!! He has this like, really moody face with an underbite and a lot of personality. I like him.

Robberta is being horridly harassed by Blanche, and i have to get off to school. Unfortunately, however, i dont have another qt or time to whip up a nice place for her. I widh i could've just left her, but she wqs getting weak. Blanche wouldn't let her eat and was pushing her against the bottom of the tank. So for now, she is in a one gallon with a bubbler. There's no prazi in there, so... Hopefully it won't mess things up too much.

All ready to bring home the gf from school tomorrow! I picked up two 5g buckets and they are waiting in the car. I will put Clara, Monet and Biggs in the 35g tub and Ms. OH's fish will go in their previous 20g tub. Then I'll do big wc in all my other tanks and move my pears in with Blanc and Robberta, as the parents aren't too keen on having 7 tanks in my room... I've tried explaining that it's just for the summer, but they still don't like it.

Nonetheless, im grateful for the chance to salt and prazi my teacher's fish, as they're all kinda messed up. They've been in a 15g w/ an aqueon quietflow 10 for the last year, and before that they were in a 10g. It was four of them crammed in there!! Then one died and now there are three. I added a bubbler when i realized she had some and I've done large weekly wc for them, but once a week really isn't enough in such an overstocked, underfiltered tank. The moor has a nasty blood blister thing IN his eye, and his fins are all tattered whereas the pearlscale is constantly floaty and jusy generally ill looking. Of course the comet seens totally fine. All have has fin growth and body growth since i startes caring for them. Hopefully they'll grow bunches over the summer and she will realize that they really do need more room than she is giving them.

Are those black neon tetra in the community tank? How many do you have? I only see 2, they do better in groups of 6 or more. Be mindful as tetra can get nippy with betta fins, specifically as they mature and when they don't have a proepr school size to spread aggression on amongst themselves.

You have green hair algae in the tank that had a lot of extra sunlight coming int. Its a common algae for too much/long/bright light (window+tank usually gets this). Sadly snails don't eat hair algae. Best thing is to manually remove it all and do as you did-reduce light. You cna also dose Seachem Excel in the tank as it works to kill hair algae. using a syringe (or needle-less syringe) to spot dose areas helps. You can also look up the "1-2 punch" for hair algae, its on another forum but gives good info on how to fight it. Note: the 1-2 punch method can harm some fish like otos.

I also notice your ramshorn has some chips missing in its shell, it looks to be suffering form a bit of calcium deficiency. You may want to get calcium source in there either: bagged crush coral (for filter), or crushed lime stone works (note will raise hardness), or you can get a snail gel food called snello-it has calcium in it.

Hello! They are false penguin tetras, and there are six of them. They've never gone after my betta, thankfully, and I've had them 2+ years.

I wasn't aware snails didn't eat hair algae... That stinks. I am probably just gonna tear out the hygro and get a less delicate plant... A nice anubias piece would do well. As for the chips on their shells, they did have those when i got them. However, i agree that this requires amending. Previously I've used cuttlefish bones for calcium, and i am not against doing this again. Im not a big fan of adding things that will mess with my water chemistry, and im pretty sure crushed coral messes with pH too.

Thank you!! He has this like, really moody face with an underbite and a lot of personality. I like him.

Oo I didn't know abut that breed of tetra, very cool looking.  Did you buy them online or have a good lfs that sells 'em?  Sadly my area choked out the good stores and I have petcos and petsmarts mostly.. not much for variety there..

Oo I didn't know abut that breed of tetra, very cool looking. Did you buy them online or have a good lfs that sells 'em? Sadly my area choked out the good stores and I have petcos and petsmarts mostly.. not much for variety there..

There is one place nearby that has decent fish selection, and i got them there. Other than that, we only have chain stores.

Juggled some fish around today. Monet and Clara have come full circle, and are back in the 29g! It's pretty minimal right now, as I just don't know what to do with it, but I finally made a background for it, with an eevee (sp) castle. Monet got some nasty rips in his tail when I was catching him last week to bring him home, but they're already healing up nicely so I don't think I will add in any salt. And Clara lost most of her black markings at school! I suspect that she will be all white eventually. https://vimeo.com/170643164

I put the school fish-- my teachers fish, that is-- into the 20g and moved the others into a tub which is a littttle bigger. Ideally, they'd be in a tub the same size as my aquaponics one, but I don't have room for two of those in my bedroom. The moor's eye is super messed up. It's puffy and has a blood pool... I'm hoping that with clean water and salt, it'll heal up.

Wc day again. I think all the pleco babies were eaten... I searched everywhere, and only came up with two of them. And i searched and searched and SEARCHED!

I don't think my snails are doing too well either... I mean, as far as i can tell none of them are dead, but theyre all just kinda laying around curled up in their shells. Im trying to tempt them with some blanched cucumber, so i guess we shall see how that goes.

I hope the cucumber tempts the snails out! You sound very busy with all these tanks :o

I hope the cucumber tempts the snails out! You sound very busy with all these tanks :o

Yes... Currently 2 20g, 1 ~20g tub, 1 10g, 1 ~40g tub, 1 29g and the 2g kritter keeper with the snails.... All in my little room!

Thanks, i hope so too!!

I've made an agreement with the parents to split my weekly wc into two days. On Tuesdays, I will be doing all of the 20g and under tanks. On Wednesdays, I will do the 29g and the ~40g bin. These appeases the parents, who hate that I need two hours to refill all of my tanks. They "need" to use the kitchen as soon as I so much as think about cleaning my tanks, of course...

Anyhow, I finally was able to put in action Helen's suggestion for my teacher's fish that I brought home, and maybe it's just me, but I think they look better already. They're on the second round of prazi treatment and being salted with 1/2 teaspoon Epsom per 10g. The pearl scale is spending less time at the top, and again, perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I feel like the tele is doing better already too. The comet is very chill. I think he'd be one of those fish that'd live forever in an unfiltered bowl.

I switched a few fish around with my sister last night. She qt's to our standards, so it's nbd. I switched her my Gary Hater black ranchu (truth be told, she has both of them he sent me now) and the tiny calico ryukin I purchase from coast gem USA. In return, I got a tiny Dalmatian oranda (petco find) and a little calico tele from coast gem USA.

I am majorly overstocked for the summer. I have my teachers 3 fish, my show fish, and a bunch of fish I picked up for next school years aquaponics system. This years didn't really work. They didn't produce enough waste to properly power the plants. It is possible there were other issues at play. My plan was a very basic system, with the plants on foam floaters (with the baskets and media hung through them obvi) and perhaps I need to add some sort of supplement to help them? I was simply trying for lettuce and kale, so I'm unsure what I did wrong. They had full fun in the greenhouse yet the leaves of the kale were super dense and way too furled. They also were very yellow, which seemed to indicate nitrogen deficiency. I don't know. Aquaponics aren't my knowledge base. Terrestrial plants I can troubleshoot, but these....

Anyhow, I'll have 2 of the tubs at about 40g each. I'm undecided which fish I'll bring in, but they'll be four fish in each. I may get heaters for winter in the greenhouse so the temp will stay up for enough waste production to feed the plants year round. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Late water change this week! Aw man, time really gets away from me these days. It's crazy! I already did the little tanks this week, so only the big ones today. And I got pics of everyone, some of whom you haven't met. I'm actually a little worried about some of them-- they behave entirely normally, but a few seem to be a little prickly. I'm hoping it's just that they've eaten too much lately.

Anyhow, pics!

c9294d49d82df874bd0ecfa56b3ced18.jpg

We all know Clarabelle, my calico fantail I've had for over a year.

80a4aa8ea4fa2bbc415b75efa509c3f2.jpg

Monet, my orange fantail I got at the same time as Clara

3508ac33ef48597913f9fc6b44eec36a.jpg

You've probably not met Ozzie. She (confirmed female) is a coast gem purchase. Her tail is a bit messed up. She will be an aquaponics fish once school starts up again.

d2feea2d2d5be1841043dea8483f323c.jpg

Biggs, my one and only ECR baby. He seemed a little odd.... Like, his scales seemed almost white lined? It could've just been the lighting.

https://vimeo.com/175951099

0b47b699f4a81ce0f68bb4d925bf1b84.jpg

This is Jenni, another coast gem buy. She is for the same purchase as Ozzie- and again, a confirmed female. She seemed a little listless, too. I might throw a low salt doseage in there and see if it helps. I doubt my filter plants will like it any, but it's the best I can do.

6113940a542c9ac912fb0ec1fad1e5f2.jpg

We all know Blanc/he, my tele who lost an eye a few months ago.

37a53966891ab7fadbbd307921bb0bc3.jpg

Marley, my blue oranda whom I've owned since last summer. He is the biggest and most active of my fish.

2bafcd2955246389d2a42d33bd08f5d0.jpg

Lastly, Perdita, my Dalmatian oranda from Petco. She will also be an aquaponics fish. Honestly, most of them will.

I also have two tiny comets, Anjou and Bartlett, but I couldn't catch them. They're alive and well. My tanks are suuuper overstocked for the summer, but I'm praying that my maintenance is enough to keep the fish healthy. Once summer is over, I'll have much more room for my little fishes.

Clara and Monet definitely need a maintenance round of prazi, as they've been super mopey lately. I think they also prefer the dark bin from school, where I couldn't see them and there was less light. I will keep that in mind when I decide who to bring back in the fall.

Once one of my betas passes on, I will be downsizing my tropical tank to a 10g to make more room for the goldfish. Neither betta is young, so it could be either one now...

My school goldfish are okay, I guess. The prescribed Epsom salt hasn't done much of anything for the teles eye, and the pearlscale is just as messed up as he was at the beginning of summer. I look forward to giving them back to my teacher, even though I will still be caring for them. It'll be much easier not having them here to make me feel guilty because I genuinely can't help them. They're just so messe up.

Ahh I love Ozzie so much!

Ahh I love Ozzie so much!

Thanks! I'd send her to you if ya weren't so far away. I... Will need to downsize drastically in the nezt year or two to make room for moving into my own apartment. Those tend to have limits on fishtank sizes and require they be small. Even keeping just my favorites, I'd still be over the limit for most places...

Aw no that sucks! I wish I could take her!

My babies from Allie!! They're so perfect and tiny and cute. Can't believe how adorable they are. Had to do a quick wc before putting them in with my other two littles, the pair of pears Anjou and Bartlett. The pears were smaller than these babies when I got them, so I'm confident they'll do well in my tank. Allie did an amazing job shipping them, and they were so happy and active! If any of you are considering getting some of her babies, DO IT.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles