Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!!!!!

So i know i promised pics yesterday, but... Well, i was out until really late (my sister actually opened the package and put them in the tank for me) and i was too tired. However, i can tell you about them. Yes, them! Gary sent two.

They are both a little over an inch SL. The slightly bigger one is nice and black, with gorgeous lines and a nice tailtuck. He is very active and happy.

The slightly smaller guy is more golden/chocolate. His tail tuck seems a little crooked to me. Also, he is missing a caudal fin! I'm not upset, cause it makes him unique and he gets along really well without it. I'd rather have a fish with a missing fin than have him culled!! I wonder if it was even a birth defect that went unnotoced, because i don't even see where his fin would connect! Anyway, I'm gonna call him Bread Pudding.

One or both will be going to school Monday; I'm undecided whether or not i want to bring Pudding in... He might have difficulty with the bigger fish, with his impaired swimming,

My bn plecos laid eggs!! I didn't even know i had a male, but apparently i do! He is steadfastly guarding his little cave, which is in reality a nook under a piece of wood. I'm unsure how good a dad he'll be, and there really isn't much cover for fry, so i doubt I'll get any babies... But if they bred once, they'll probably do it again... Right?

Either way, i pulled the few eggs that ended up out of the cave. I don't know if he fertilized them or not, but i put them in a 2gallon bowl with a bubbler and temp 75. If they're fertilized, they should hatch in there. If not, no harm done. I was only able to grab two, though, before my greedy ansorgiis gobbled the rest of the eggs up.

My bn plecos laid eggs!! I didn't even know i had a male, but apparently i do! He is steadfastly guarding his little cave, which is in reality a nook under a piece of wood. I'm unsure how good a dad he'll be, and there really isn't much cover for fry, so i doubt I'll get any babies... But if they bred once, they'll probably do it again... Right?

Either way, i pulled the few eggs that ended up out of the cave. I don't know if he fertilized them or not, but i put them in a 2gallon bowl with a bubbler and temp 75. If they're fertilized, they should hatch in there. If not, no harm done. I was only able to grab two, though, before my greedy ansorgiis gobbled the rest of the eggs up.

If the eggs are Orange then they are fertilised and will most likely hatch however it depends on what fish you have to how many will survive as dad guards them I believe for the first one or two weeks (my female died a while back and I can't remember how long the male looked after the babies) and then they come out as armoured little things :) if they have bred once they will breed again but my female never seemed to recover no matter how much protein she got so the female may get overworked or the male may get overworked if you have more then one female and they continuously breed with him which would not allow him to eat and eventually die :(

If the eggs are Orange then they are fertilised and will most likely hatch however it depends on what fish you have to how many will survive as dad guards them I believe for the first one or two weeks (my female died a while back and I can't remember how long the male looked after the babies) and then they come out as armoured little things :) if they have bred once they will breed again but my female never seemed to recover no matter how much protein she got so the female may get overworked or the male may get overworked if you have more then one female and they continuously breed with him which would not allow him to eat and eventually die :(
Wow... You make pleco breeding sound like a bad thing. I only have the two, I'd really rather they didn't die. I read that the male guards the babies until they're frew swimming. Im unsure when that is. However, i cant even see my male anymore he's so far under his driftwood, and the female is mostly laying it low as well. Hopefully all goes well.

Wow... You make pleco breeding sound like a bad thing. I only have the two, I'd really rather they didn't die. I read that the male guards the babies until they're frew swimming. Im unsure when that is. However, i cant even see my male anymore he's so far under his driftwood, and the female is mostly laying it low as well. Hopefully all goes well.
I believe from what I remember after they hatch it takes 1-2weeks before free swimming but he may guard them for longer :)

I was checking one of the two i managed to grab for fungus and accidentally squished it!

I was checking one of the two i managed to grab for fungus and accidentally squished it!

Oh no I'm so sorry :(

Hopefully Aquila is doing a better job with his eggs than i am...

Haha I'm sure you aren't doing that bad :)

I squished one... And i only had two. However, i found some more and scooped them up. Hopefully I'll get a few babies for my efforts.

I squished one... And i only had two. However, i found some more and scooped them up. Hopefully I'll get a few babies for my efforts.

You really don't want tons of babies they just mess up the water and mine seemed to take forever to grow but they are so cute you just have to make sure they survive :D Good Luck!

I have pleco fry!! Three vigorous little guys and a runt which prob won't make it. I did a 50% wc and removed the dead/unfettilized eggs and put in a plant for them to much on and hide under.

I have pleco fry!! Three vigorous little guys and a runt which prob won't make it. I did a 50% wc and removed the dead/unfettilized eggs and put in a plant for them to much on and hide under.

Cool! :Congrats: will there be pics??

Cute baby bristlenose and the bushfish look cool! :D

I suspect Aquila still has babies... He is still refusing to come out of his hollow. The only part of him visible is his constantly flicking tail. Before he had babies, i saw him daily.

Big wc on all the tanks Sunday! I added Pudding in with Biggs and Marley. They're now officially overstocked, but it's not a situation i can currently ameliorate. I didn't expect to get an extra black ranchu. Not that I'm complaining; he's super cute. I'm just gonna be hard pressed to find time for an extra wc weekly. I barely have time for one. I need to find some plants to jam in my filters...

Fish are such frustrating things. I did big wc's today. I think Storm jumped during wc. He was my favorite betta ive ever had. Owned him since he was a tiny, colorless thing. I really hope I'm wrong and he is just hiding somewhere.

Edit:: he just magically appeared. I don't know where he was hiding but he seems fine.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Also i don't believe i have any pleco babies. Aquila didnt want to be a daddy i suppose. He is no longer hiding under his log and i haven't seen any little wigglers.

Also i don't believe i have any pleco babies. Aquila didnt want to be a daddy i suppose. He is no longer hiding under his log and i haven't seen any little wigglers.

I'm sorry maybe they are hiding in your tank somewhere as they are tiny when they leave the nest like maybe 5-10mm I believe

I'm sorry maybe they are hiding in your tank somewhere as they are tiny when they leave the nest like maybe 5-10mm I believe
There is little to no place to hide in that tank, unfortunAtely, and lots of hungry mouths.

There is little to no place to hide in that tank, unfortunAtely, and lots of hungry mouths.

Um it seems like they may have been eaten unless they are still in the cave??

Yeah that's what i figured ????

Yeah that's what i figured

yeah :(