Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

How many did you end up getting? I've had mine for a month now and they have easily doubled in size(weight) and I'm already on my second 4oz. pack of FBW. 

How many did you end up getting? I've had mine for a month now and they have easily doubled in size(weight) and I'm already on my second 4oz. pack of FBW.

I only have the one, actually. I will be adding him in to my big tank on Tuesday. I don't know if he has actually grown since i acquired him, but he is certainly super healthy!

I only have the one, actually. I will be adding him in to my big tank on Tuesday. I don't know if he has actually grown since i acquired him, but he is certainly super healthy!

That moment when you see an update hope for pictures it is killing us all :lol:

That moment when you see an update hope for pictures it is killing us all :lol:

Heh sorry. I hope these videos help"

https://vimeo.com/1551620798bbdb3e35651af441d3195a1fb6ffbb3.jpg40fd1fe28c57e8d131ac40f3a57b8229.jpg67d834071684e367d2efff6578ffc959.jpgf1a346096aec357222b3022894e5ea62.jpg0e7b919a1f9eaa43c76d57d2587630f2.jpg

This orange guy is Biggs. He is my new Thai calico oranda from Cynthia of ECR!

c25a052e54dd3234c75e4f50f2c1df99.jpghttps://vimeo.com/155162562

Wow love your new fish he is so handsome and Clara and Marley look well! :D

Thanks! ECR fish are super well bred and top quality. I look forward to.watching him grow.

Thanks! ECR fish are super well bred and top quality. I look forward to.watching him grow.

I hate living in the UK the only good quality fish are usually only available from Star Fisheries and I'm not allowed any from there :(

Edited by goldfishfanforever

I hate living in the UK the only good quality fish are usually only available from Star Fisheries and I'm not allowed any from there :(
I have never and will never buy a high quality fish; it's just too much money for me to justify. Biggs was a gift from my sister.

I have never and will never buy a high quality fish; it's just too much money for me to justify. Biggs was a gift from my sister.

Oh that makes more sense I also love the little quirky fish at the pet stores which is enough for me although last week i turned down an adorable pearlscale and it was still there today :(

Oh that makes more sense I also love the little quirky fish at the pet stores which is enough for me although last week i turned down an adorable pearlscale and it was still there today :(

I am completely fully stocked. I have two in my aquaponics at school and two at home. (Well, technically one at school and three at home but just until Biggs is out of qt... Then one of them will go to school with Monet) and as much as i would love another, i know i simply don't have the room.

I think I have room but I promised my dad no more pets this year :(

Haha that sounds like a promise my parents would like to have...

Haha that sounds like a promise my parents would like to have...
I only did it so I could upgrade my hermit crab tank :( but the way the pearlie wiggled :(

e4429073dc4a8602c141cd1970c5e2e1.jpghttps://vimeo.com/15555624219ede1927e596a0b338418e7bc0611d0.jpg9995179f0d39c3c07ab5f82d7a7871a5.jpghttps://vimeo.com/155556724

So today was big waterchange day. As I have now had Biggs for two weeks, I put him in the 29g. This, of course, is temporary. One of the current inhabitants will be traveling to school with me on Monday. The question is, which one? I'm working up a pros and cons list for each one.

Clara

Pros:

-she is a fantail, and therefore matches Monet at school

-she has been with Monet before, and they get along fine

Cons:

-she and Biggs match in coloring, so she would look good with him in the at home tank

-she gets really unhappy and sulky when she is moved

-she just started perking up again from being alone after I moved Monet

-she is more sensitive, and the at school tank is prone to temp fluctuations

-it would seem very un loyal of me to move her after she has lived in that tank since July

Biggs

Pros:

-he won't be in the 29g very long and won't care if he is moved

-he is a very healthy fish who would be fine with minimal supervision

-he is majorly orange based so would match Monet well enough

-the warmer temperatures in the upcoming greenhouse months would make him grow faster

Cons:

-he is a very high quality fish, and I wouldn't be able to really see him

-if he goes, the 29g would have Clara and Marley, who don't match at all

-he was a gift and the gifted doesn't want him to go to school

Marley

Pros:

-if he left, Clara and Biggs would remain in the 29g, and they match

-he was originally bought for school

-he could potentially grow a lot while at school, and he is rather small right now

Cons:

-he was really messed up for awhile, not eating and all. He might be too fragile for school

-he doesn't match Monet

-he and Biggs would match really well cause they're both orandas

So that's my pros and cons list. They're all pretty evenly matched so it's hard to choose. On a side note, I think Biggs is male and Marley is female. Biggs has been chasing Marley and Clara since he was added to the tank. It can't be an aggression thing because he is so much smaller than both of them...

I also moved Acquila to the 10g with Storm. Yes, I know it isn't big enough for long term. I'm hoping she will be able to knock out my algae problem in there until I can bring one of the goldfish to school, at which point I might mode him back into the 29g... Or maybe I will put him in the 20L? I haven't really decided yet.f74ef4ace69adf5b737f85dd0c2aca93.jpg

I spent a lot of time scrubbing off surface algae, so... It looks better now.

ac165f5dcf44d3088f77ac1736ea8434.jpg5d950890a35125f3d2509cb970596c3d.jpg

In the 20L, I removed all of the plants that weren't working. That leaves me with anubias and driftwood. Any suggestions? I can't get any plants to actually grow well in here.

I would take Clara to school as then she can be back with Monet but really it is your decision :)

Try promising your parents that you'll grow up to be a Biologist!  They might reconsider.... :whistle

Edited by mysterygirl

Try promising your parents that you'll grow up to be a Biologist!  They might reconsider.... :whistle
That's out the window I already wanna be a veterinarian :D

Okay, so today i brought Clara in to school. She and Monet will be in the aquaponics system here while the orandas will chill at home and (hopefully) get giant wens with the added care and protein of bloodworms available there.

In other news, i proposed the idea of a big aquaponics system with a kiddie pool base and the three tiered water fall planter/filter system, and she seems cool with it. She wants me to diagram it with costs and sizes. She said it could possibly be my final project. That said, what pond pumps do you recommend for thr average kiddie pool? I'm not entirely sure what size they are, or if I'll be able to find one this time of year, but i want to have the knowledge of the required pond pumps beforehand.

Maybe I'll make my own gf a little kiddie pool pond at some point, if this works out well.

Sad news today. My kitchen sink has zero temp regulation (it's always either burning hot or freezing cold) and during wc today, the tank ended up too hot. This was the first wc since i moved him to the 10g tank and i thought the temp was good but it was waaaay to hot (it hadn't fully temp stabled when i started it so i didnt realizr how hot it was) and i didnt realize how bad it was... One of my original two plecos from acro passed away. Im so bummed!! It seemed to be developing bristles, so it might have even been male.

I got my home wc's done today tho! So, i guess that's good at least...

Sad news today. My kitchen sink has zero temp regulation (it's always either burning hot or freezing cold) and during wc today, the tank ended up too hot. This was the first wc since i moved him to the 10g tank and i thought the temp was good but it was waaaay to hot (it hadn't fully temp stabled when i started it so i didnt realizr how hot it was) and i didnt realize how bad it was... One of my original two plecos from acro passed away. Im so bummed!! It seemed to be developing bristles, so it might have even been male. I got my home wc's done today tho! So, i guess that's good at least...

Oh I'm so sorry my fish don't seem to be affected too much by water temp change and actually love swimming in the torrents of warmer or cooler water

Sad news today. My kitchen sink has zero temp regulation (it's always either burning hot or freezing cold) and during wc today, the tank ended up too hot. This was the first wc since i moved him to the 10g tank and i thought the temp was good but it was waaaay to hot (it hadn't fully temp stabled when i started it so i didnt realizr how hot it was) and i didnt realize how bad it was... One of my original two plecos from acro passed away. Im so bummed!! It seemed to be developing bristles, so it might have even been male. I got my home wc's done today tho! So, i guess that's good at least...

Oh I'm so sorry my fish don't seem to be affected too much by water temp change and actually love swimming in the torrents of warmer or cooler water
It was like, reeeallly hot tho

It was like, reeeallly hot tho
Oh I'm sorry for your loss :rip: Edited by goldfishfanforever

So i bought a black ranchu from Cinci Goldfish (gary hater) and it should arrive today!! Super excited! I'll post pics when s/he arrives and is all settled in.

:thumbup2: