Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

I had just way too many tanks for awhile there. All three of my female bettas i rehomed to my sister for her sorority tank. One of my boys, Billy-- a purple veiltail-- was rehomed to a friend. Im still looking for a home for my.little hmpk male.

I had just way too many tanks for awhile there. All three of my female bettas i rehomed to my sister for her sorority tank. One of my boys, Billy-- a purple veiltail-- was rehomed to a friend. Im still looking for a home for my.little hmpk male.

I want him so bad :(

Edited by goldfishfanforever

I want him so bad :(
Aww sorry hun. I can't ship at all, let alone to the UK.

At the same time, im jonesing for a new fish. Im desperate for new goldfish. Of course I'd never do something as irresponsible as buying more fish after i just rehomed four. That said, i see the beauties on raingarden and ebay and i die a little. Even seeing the badly cared for gf in my vocational class stirs it up. They have a gorgeous black moor, two calico pearlscales and a common, all in an unfiltered 15g with 2-3 inches of sand, freshwater muscles, and ramshorms. It drives me nuts, but there's nothing i can do about it. I offered my teacher a tank twice as big, but she wasn't interested. On the plus side, she was fine with me switching them to 1mm nls pellets rather than the tetra brand flakes she had been using.

Im very happy with how my 20g looks now that it isn't all sectioned off. It has dark substrate and bright, healthy plants. There's only one small part sectioned off now, with Sorbet living there. As soon as i find a home for Dorris, Sorbet will be moved into the divided 10g. Then i will be as pared down as i can get.

At the same time, im jonesing for a new fish. Im desperate for new goldfish. Of course I'd never do something as irresponsible as buying more fish after i just rehomed four. That said, i see the beauties on raingarden and ebay and i die a little. Even seeing the badly cared for gf in my vocational class stirs it up. They have a gorgeous black moor, two calico pearlscales and a common, all in an unfiltered 15g with 2-3 inches of sand, freshwater muscles, and ramshorms. It drives me nuts, but there's nothing i can do about it. I offered my teacher a tank twice as big, but she wasn't interested. On the plus side, she was fine with me switching them to 1mm nls pellets rather than the tetra brand flakes she had been using.

Im very happy with how my 20g looks now that it isn't all sectioned off. It has dark substrate and bright, healthy plants. There's only one small part sectioned off now, with Sorbet living there. As soon as i find a home for Dorris, Sorbet will be moved into the divided 10g. Then i will be as pared down as i can get.

I keep wanting to get more goldfish but all my goldfish are outside and I can't keep goldfish alive inside but there is this one cute black moor and lavender/ blue telescope i want so much :(

I keep wanting to get more goldfish but all my goldfish are outside and I can't keep goldfish alive inside but there is this one cute black moor and lavender/ blue telescope i want so much :(
Im just like, seeing all these gorgeous ecr ranchus and orandas and amazing raingardens ans dying. . .

So which tanks have you left running? I see that on your general goldfish thread you're down to three. Pics would be great too! :)

So which tanks have you left running? I see that on your general goldfish thread you're down to three. Pics would be great too! :)

Ill take pics at next wc, haha. Ill be down to the three bettas in a divided 10g, Clara and Monet in the 29g, and the 20g with all my tropicals. I actually found a home for my last betta today that was unwanted. He will be going to his new home next sunday.

Hey Morgan'sMiracles!  How did you go with your tank overhauls?  Would love to see some pics of your handiwork!  :bighug

Hey Morgan'sMiracles! How did you go with your tank overhauls? Would love to see some pics of your handiwork! :bighug

Haha im in school right now, Ree! Ill be doing them after school, and then I'll get a bunch of pictures up!

2a170b55a59178f3065ff1ac0781b3d0.jpgceb5b592e6fd97c118f507081521581c.jpgf88e66a12948caf54fb3469b06199d9f.jpg4c06985075a09a51afad79ff7eb92ffa.jpge510a847e8bbc6e5496b355ad8f9c92d.jpg595e4d4c71c898dddd8142d15951e515.jpga55b0c4d1cab0d3fe18fadf5adcd4aca.jpghttps://vimeo.com/141614401

Updated pics . In the 10g, i have, from left to right, Electric Storm, a koi marbled hmpk; Pugley, a lfpk purple pineapple; and Sorbet, a multicolored lfpk. All three are males.

In the 20g, there are the same hosts as always-- the four ansorgiis, eight falae penguins, two plecos and a snail. Now however there are no divisions with hidden bettas.

In the 29g, nothing has really changed. I moved around some lights and thats it. I tries taking a video, but since Kokos doesn't work on my router at home and is blocked at school, it won't upload.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

2a170b55a59178f3065ff1ac0781b3d0.jpgceb5b592e6fd97c118f507081521581c.jpgf88e66a12948caf54fb3469b06199d9f.jpg4c06985075a09a51afad79ff7eb92ffa.jpge510a847e8bbc6e5496b355ad8f9c92d.jpg595e4d4c71c898dddd8142d15951e515.jpga55b0c4d1cab0d3fe18fadf5adcd4aca.jpghttps://vimeo.com/141614401

Updated pics . In the 10g, i have, from left to right, Electric Storm, a koi marbled hmpk; Pugley, a lfpk purple pineapple; and Sorbet, a multicolored lfpk. All three are males.

In the 20g, there are the same hosts as always-- the four ansorgiis, eight falae penguins, two plecos and a snail. Now however there are no divisions with hidden bettas.

In the 29g, nothing has really changed. I moved around some lights and thats it. I tries taking a video, but since Kokos doesn't work on my router at home and is blocked at school, it won't upload.

I said this on the other thread, but they all look great and your plants, real and otherwise , healthy! I hope you find these tanks more manageable and fun to maintain.

Hi Emilee, Looks beautiful!!!  :bighug

Thanks guys!!

I've nothing new to report but I'm on my half hour lunch break and i alreAdy ate lunch, so thought id just say hi.

Since I've got nothing better to do on my Sunday night (yeah right! Loads i could be doing. . .) i got some sizing for ya. I didn't do this when i first got them, so no growth comps. . . sorry.

0be6fe6966556251cdf7022c5d430753.jpg

Clara on the side with a marking like @FishyMandy 's calico

0963d5f57c6b810f8b71a23f240eb76d.jpg

Her other side

091383fafa50f35e2134e44060db4919.jpg

Monet is pretty much identical on both sides

82f78c4bc2107b08d4c8ad7b1491a984.jpg

I love their tail spreads. They both have that kinked caudal fin. . . is that a defect, or a sign of illness?

Here's the first pic i ever took of them in the tank together. 5f7cb928514ba4df1f0fa12f5d2c37f2.jpg

And here is right now.

d392a1d4c4bf699b3a4e16209e2687bd.jpg

According to instAgram, it's been about 15 weeks, or just under four months. And yet i see no growth.

I know they're just smudges in thw first pic. But there is seriously no growth. 3dab9d4942bdebaf9f7e42226875a7f1.jpg

This is them in the same bowl i put them in for pics just now. I forgot i had this.

6eff491d584dbe1e1a90e9456c85e300.jpg

Then another crappy pic from a minute ago.

I think Clara has gained weight even if she doesn't look longer. They both look brighter and healthier, too, and their fins are growing for sure! It's sometimes good if a fish doesn't grow very fast (like Shakaho has said)--it means that they might be longer lived! I also think that the kinked fin is just genetic. They are both very pretty!

Duchess is around 50 grams and has been the same (small) size for 3 or more years. She's a happy little old lady all the same. 

Edited by QandD

They look great! My Tiny has put on like 4 grams in the year I've had him...and Opal doesn't seem to have grown at all in the few months I've had her! It does get discouraging but like others said it could actually be healthy for them!

They look like they have grown and if they are healthy and aren't losing weight dont worry about their growth

I see slight growth in length, mainly the tails and I definitely can see growth in depth. :) good job!

So today i did something i feel kinda good about. My landscaping and horticulture class has a fifteen gallon tank with four goldfish. It never gets cleaned. I offered my teacher that I'd clean it weekly, every Thursday. So i did that for the first time today!! I did a 90% waterchange and I'm gonna add a hydroponic plant tomorrow, to deal with excess nitrates that must be in that massively overstocked tank. I also threw out the gf flakes my teacher had, so people have to feed the nls pellets i brought in.

Then when i got home, i went and winterized my yard. I pulled all the weeds around out lilies and cut them back, trimmed the dead parts from the rose bush, cut back the scallions, and cleaned out the dead annuals, storing their pots in the shed for future use. When that was done, i got to work pruning this dumb bush in our yard. These bushes have been there since way before we moved in, and I'm trying to make them look presentable. In fact, im working to make the entire yard presentable. The fact is, if i want a career in l&h, i need to have a good looking yard so any potential clients don't reject me. Not that it'll matter to future clients for a few years, but our yard looks like garbage and I'd like to change that.

Wow Emilee, you had a very busy day!!!! Your two goldie finbabies are looking so good.  I think they are actually longer than they were when you first got them!  Monet actually is much longer than the circle in the bottom of the bowl... when you first got her she didn't even go close to being long enough to be the same size as the circle.  Clara has grown too to my eye, and both fish have put on great condition and their colourings are really popping now.  I would say you have two very happy babies on your hands who are very content in their little fishy lives!!!

https://vimeo.com/145723194https://vimeo.com/145723309https://vimeo.com/145723349https://vimeo.com/145723420

There you go, guys; updated videos of my tanks. But, in grossness, I reached into the 20g to remove the plant detritus from the filter and pulled away WITH A DEAD TETRA BETWEEN MY FINGERS!! Quick, where's the bleach!! I'm so grossed out right now I could die.

It couldn't have been dead long, though, cause it still looked like a fish, with all the coloring, and it still had fins. It was very chewed up from getting stuck to the filter though!!

There are fish in my 20g other than the tetras; you just really can't see them. The glare, added to the fact they were hiding, makes the microctenopoma ansorgii really hard to see. There's also two plecos and a snail.

My goldfish are doing really well. They eat happy, swim happy, live happy, lol. They were being really playful, nipping at the algae growing on the filter intakes and chasing. Since the day I've got them, they've been pretty much inseparable.

And as you can all see,my glorious betta tank is filled with algae. It's so frustrating! I finally got rid of the extra fish, giving it to my sister, and now, my tanks are a mess. Grewkdashfkshfksdnk!!

And I'm sure you're all wondering about the little Pearlscale. I call her Little Fish, lol. She's a pretty little calico, in case you didn't notice from that awful video. Her real name, from my school, is "Thing One." They have another "calico" pearlie named Thing Two, but honestly, the only one I talk to/at is Little Fish, so. . .

Anyways, she hasn't been looking so hot so I brought her home. My teacher even agreed that she has been going downhill! I really hate that I'll be helping her to get better just to bring her back to the crowded, under filtered 15g with three other residents. But what's a girl gonna do, Y'know? So, no, she isn't mine.

In other news, I will be setting up a 20g aquaponic bin at school, fueled by, you guessed it-- goldfish! I'll be setting it up this Thursday, when I do the waterchange on the l&h tank, and leaving it to cycle until after Christmas break. Then I'll add in Monet and hope for the best. It's warmer in there than in my room, and I'll be sure to change the water regularly, along with 2x daily feelings and such. My only worry is weekends. I will, of course, bring him home over week long vacations and come summertime.

This will free up a spot in my 30g for the ECR calico oranda my sister got me! I'm so excited! Awhile back, Cynthia did a raffle sort of thing in Instagram, and the person who could guess the breed of her unexpected spawn would win one, and my sister did. So I'll be getting one! Then it'll be Clara and Other Calico in my 30g, and it'll be awesome. Calico to rival Mandy, yah?

So those are my fish plans and news. What's up with your tanks? Oh, and do any of y'all know a magic cure for algae?