Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

Glad to see you back! I hope you're saving a lot of money, at least, from all that working. I worked at a grocery store in high school, and it can be very hard work (I was in the deli, since I was 17--blechhhh).

Re: food. Have you tried Repashy Soilent Green or the NLS Thera-A? If you feel like the fish could use more vegetables, you could also try Repashy Super Green, though this isn't a complete food and would need supplements like pellets or bloodworms. Thera-A contains garlic, which I've found to be helpful with bacterial infection protection, and the girls like it a lot. Some fish get floating on Soilent Green (I've heard). Personally I only use Super Green for the vegetable issue. In the future I might try Soilent, but so far mine are doing well on Thera-A, bloodworms, Super Green, and Southern Delight (goldfish pellet). I don't know about Omega-One products, although they make the bloodworms that are available to me in the area (and are very fresh and red).

Your brother seems like a champ, and I'm glad he's helping you with all of this!  

Hi welcome back :hi I remember you getting your new fish and they were super cute and I'm glad they passed QT even if it was a SUPER long QT but they sound like they are doing great and it sounds like you have been super busy with work so I'm not gonna ask for pics and also you said your internet doesn't allow Koko's so yeah thanks for the update.

I've figured out a way around that (once i realized my home wifi was the problem, it was easy enough to turn off wifi on my phone abd only use data ) so i shall be posting some pics.

fb4760bcaff383fd916717f155150304.jpg

My tank is quite bare now, as you can see. I only added the two anubias yesterday. I want to try barebottom for the time being.

Monet and Clara move aroundto o much for pics, so here is a video instead.

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/rockanrollprincess/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0805151049.mp4.html

Glad to see you back! I hope you're saving a lot of money, at least, from all that working. I worked at a grocery store in high school, and it can be very hard work (I was in the deli, since I was 17--blechhhh).

Re: food. Have you tried Repashy Soilent Green or the NLS Thera-A? If you feel like the fish could use more vegetables, you could also try Repashy Super Green, though this isn't a complete food and would need supplements like pellets or bloodworms. Thera-A contains garlic, which I've found to be helpful with bacterial infection protection, and the girls like it a lot. Some fish get floating on Soilent Green (I've heard). Personally I only use Super Green for the vegetable issue. In the future I might try Soilent, but so far mine are doing well on Thera-A, bloodworms, Super Green, and Southern Delight (goldfish pellet). I don't know about Omega-One products, although they make the bloodworms that are available to me in the area (and are very fresh and red).

Your brother seems like a champ, and I'm glad he's helping you with all of this!

Re: repashy: are those gel foods? If so, are they easy to make and store? I am hesitant as to whether or not my parents will let me store gel food in the freezer.

I am saving some money. . .it's hard cause I'm not paid much and i have to pay phone and insurance bills (car) and gas is super expensive right now. . .

Btw, im so glad d&v are doing so much better!!

Re: repashy: are those gel foods? If so, are they easy to make and store? I am hesitant as to whether or not my parents will let me store gel food in the freezer.

I am saving some money. . .it's hard cause I'm not paid much and i have to pay phone and insurance bills (car) and gas is super expensive right now. . .

Btw, im so glad d&v are doing so much better!!

Yes, they're gel foods. I pour them into silicone ice cube trays after whipping some up, letting it set, then freezing them in the trays in a freezer back. Your parents might never know they're fish food if you tuck them away! Otherwise, high-quality pellets with some veggies and bloodworms sound great to me, but you might want to ask the food subforum if you'd like more expert advice :)

Edited by QandD

So I'm working really hard to form a bond with Clara and Monet. Monet will sometimes nibble on my fingers, but Clara won't come near my hand, waiting until i leave the tank to feed. It's so frustrating!! I feel like the time she spent alone in QT was a detriment to her socially. I realize that sounds kinda wacky, but i had to pick her up and put her in a small bowl to get pictures of her pineconing and since then, she hates my hand. So. . . that sucks. But Money nibbled at my fingers this morning.

I purchased some riparium containers, which should be arriving today or early next week. Those will be used for my two sad sword plants and my two lilies. They will go into my 29g tank. I also purchased some frogbit, which will go into my 20g. I am working on rescaping the 20g to better fit the tastes of my ctempoma ansorgii, so they'll color up and really pop as the center pieces of my tank.

I think that some fish are just more hand-shy than others. Duchess still doesn't want to hand feed after 6 years. When she snatched some Repashy out of my fingers a month or so ago I was shocked. But it has only happened once since then. Perhaps you will find other ways to bond with Clara in time, and if she sees that your fingers don't kill or eat Monet for a while might come around, too :) Duchess is very attentive and sweet in her own way.

Pics when you plant, please!

I think that some fish are just more hand-shy than others. Duchess still doesn't want to hand feed after 6 years. When she snatched some Repashy out of my fingers a month or so ago I was shocked. But it has only happened once since then. Perhaps you will find other ways to bond with Clara in time, and if she sees that your fingers don't kill or eat Monet for a while might come around, too :) Duchess is very attentive and sweet in her own way.

Pics when you plant, please!

I'll do my best with pics. All of the plants for the riparium pots are looking sad in my 20 right now. Ill do my best to keep you posted!

Eleazar waa always nervous around my hand, but kappa would hand feed without fail. He just decided one day that he liked my hand and it stayed consistent.

Clara and Monet are still little guys, it seems, though. They'll calm down soon, I'm sure! (And it seems like Monet is already friendly.)

It took my Ilmarë about six months to take food from my hand, but I had Pierre for about a month when he started consistently hand feeding. Some fish are just more timid than others.

73775c6bbd61d80dcdcae1139a5fb338.jpg

b80af015eade96896ced93e24ebce75d.jpg

Soooo. . . i got a new pleco! Meet Apollos. He will be joining Aquila, Prisca and the rest of the 20g gang after a week of observation in a seperate tank.adb346e89377978117268e49ab578e54.jpg

ff4f91e8d76272f79f7fd3926eb8449b.jpg

Some super blurry pics of my gf for your viewing pleasure

The riparium planters i purchased finally arrived!! Four planters-- the foliage set. Very cool items. Unfortunately, when they arrived the postal service left a notice saying i owed over a dollar in shipping fees (this when i already paid $7 in shipping). Of course i paid the postal service-- not their fault. Don't want to get my mail deliverer in trouble. But at the same time, i was very upset. So i sent a strongly worded email to support@ripariumsupply.com. Perhaps too strongly worded, because not only did they refund $9 but they also seem to be sending a second set! Perhaps i wasn't clear or perhaps they're overcomenpsating for the mixup, but either way it is too much and i feel really guilty. I, of course, immediately emailed them saying i did get the original set and they do NOT need to send another, but i already got a shipping confirmation and they told me directly in the email that they were sending out the "replacement box" today. So who knows what will happen with that. . .

I purchased a large piece or driftwood to add to my 20g tropical tAnk. It's a really nice piece. Since it is 1000 degrees here in Maine i decided to let it roast in the sun for a few days, in hopes of killing off any nasties from the store tank i got it from. It will look really nice with thw natural look i am going for in that tank. I plan on having some dark fluorite (not sure whether gravel or sand yet. Opinions?) with the nice driftwood and some anubias. Beyond that, i have some frogbit in there. . . but i have no idea what else to get. I will likely ne purchasing some more false penguin tetras for in there, as i was told at the pet store todat that they were ordering more. I am thinking 4-6 more. Then I'd have a total of 4 ansorgiis, 3 bn plecos, 1 snail and 12-14 false penguin tetras. A bit overstocked, but i have a really strong filter and it will be heavily planted.

I managed to get some less than horrible pictures of my goldies today!! I took them when the water was really low during the waterchange. 90% on the 29g, 80% on the 20g. So. . . i think that's pretty much it. Enjoy!

4053294d7954dfa2fc43b89cd7a85dae.jpg

My new frogbit is growing some impressive roots.

58d9b87ff0276e9533714efde091a4b5.jpg

To show the size of Apollos. . . he is smaller than Joker, my snail.

5b86497fcf37212ba717cd6af93186ad.jpg

Anubias grows like crazy in my tank!

9f0b47083c2bde521c06f906dd29dbe0.jpg

Entire tank shot, 20g

2a1a736bd013fa0db3d8a234b259b32b.jpg

Entire tank shot, 29g

de51da149c2ef1989216d904bc35001f.jpg

Clara and Monet from above

4d38af30304e2de18340b939a2fc5cc4.jpg

Bushbear says, "I DO NOT LIKE CHANGE!"

c7440fd91631c638a641058da2a681fd.jpg

Clara and Monet

9024da2bcf7d505748944c6c408c6c91.jpg

Clara and Monet; on the run!

I got the sand i ordered for the 20g. Unfortunately i purchased the wrong one and need to buy another entire bag.

The gf attacked the plants i put in their tank and destroyed my lilies and one of the swords, so those have been moved to the 20g as a sort of plant hospital. Hopefully they will root well into their containers and i will be able to move them back. 80% wc on 29g.

Over the past week, i have bought six bettas. One male plakat, one female ct, one female vt, and three unsexed hmpk that haven't arrived yet. This may be the start of my descent into insanity but im loving every minute of it.

My baby bettas arrived today!! Now there are six bettas on my desk.

d17d40dde2a2b19d1d6a31e701a34c64.jpg

This is betta two. I am pretty sure it is a male. He is the largest of the three and the only one with any color.

32781f30d51f8140841afdb8aa3a7f23.jpg

This is baby betta three. I am pretty sure it is female. It has no discernable color so far.

d3f1ab65df3ba69fa9b1f8a5fd7c7dfa.jpg

This is baby betta one. Yes, i know that's backwards and one should've been first. I don't know whether this one is male or female; i cant even guess at it's gender. Like 3, it has no color.

Im so very happy they arrived safe and healthy!! Until i set up a tank, they will be living in quart jars with daily 100% wc's.

In other news, i think Taize might be a young male ct rather than a female. S/he is hyper aggressive, has a very obvious beard when flaring and has the pointed anal fins of a male betta. I don't know.

484639573b3f52a86d74e7c8940173e1.jpg

Not the greatest pic, but whatever. That's Taize.

8e1f08c75daead7e4592907a0c365b83.jpg

Pretty girl Grace

b83e1789b8061205c9936529fd8a0546.jpg

I cannot get a good picture of Sorbet, but he is amazingly beautiful in person.

That's a nice bunch of bettas! Now I'm getting tempted....

That's a nice bunch of bettas! Now I'm getting tempted....

Haha im glad you like them. I hope you do get some! There aren't enough betta posters on kokos.

Well, I've got one, Cee (sort of turquiose with red, very long rose fins), but I'd like to have more.... they're so pretty!

Well, I've got one, Cee (sort of turquiose with red, very long rose fins), but I'd like to have more.... they're so pretty!

Yeah. My parents are pretty mad about the current set up. They said no more tanks and then i went and bought six bettas, soooo. . .

Did you point out how beautiful & life enhancing the fish are? And all the scientific stuff you're learning, & what a responsible person you are as a result of your fish husbandry? :)

Did you point out how beautiful & life enhancing the fish are? And all the scientific stuff you're learning, & what a responsible person you are as a result of your fish husbandry? :)

Well, they aren't gonna make me get rid of them. I think it's more like general frustration with me. . . and ultimately, they and i know that the bettas will end up in an actual tank because none of us are cruel enough to forever leave bettas in jars. Even my parents understand how wrong that it.

The babies won't eat my food, even crushed up. The breeder suggested that, rather than feed nls thera a (high quality food!!) i feed tetra flakes. WTH!! What breeder suggests feeding garbage?!

I have a betta but I'm not as crazy as you with how many I have as the most I have had at one time was 3 but they lived in community tanks but yours are so beautiful! My betta is nearly a half moon but I have forgotten what they are called when the tail is just under 180 degrees and he is a creamy, whitey , gold sorta colour but what a fin nipper he is to himself :(

I have a betta but I'm not as crazy as you with how many I have as the most I have had at one time was 3 but they lived in community tanks but yours are so beautiful! My betta is nearly a half moon but I have forgotten what they are called when the tail is just under 180 degrees and he is a creamy, whitey , gold sorta colour but what a fin nipper he is to himself :(

My sister has a fin nipper. She moved him to a smaller, less reflective tank and is hoping it'll help.

And. . . im not crazy!! 7 is a normal number. . , my sister has 11 now.

My sister has a fin nipper. She moved him to a smaller, less reflective tank and is hoping it'll help.

Well maybe you aren't crazy then :D Anyway my betta is in a heavily planted 7 gallon tank that I am gonna rearrange today but he is a devil

Well maybe you aren't crazy then :D Anyway my betta is in a heavily planted 7 gallon tank that I am gonna rearrange today but he is a devil
I just moved three of mine into the divided 20g. Taize and Sorbet are alone (due to being, respectively, pstchotic and male) and little Grace is in the largest (2/3 of the tank) compartment with the ansorgii and tetras. Tomorrow I'll be setting up the divided 10g and the 3 siblings will go in there. Then the 4th sibling i have coming will go in a medium critter keeper.