Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

Frasier passed away during the night, bringing my death tally to 5 in 2 months. I don't know what to do. I can't keep fish without gf. They are my absolute favorite. But i have lost so many recently!! While on the one hand i want to rushout right now today and get new ones, i also am feeling that any i bring in will just die anyways. I must be doing something wrong- frasier seemed fine lastnight. Sure,he was gasping a bit at the surface, but thats never been a death sentence before!! I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry frasier died but don't give up I have felt like giving up before after losing my three biggest goldfish last year and then in the past month I have lost 6 goldfish, 2 angelfish and a guppy but don't give up one day you will look back and remember why you never gave up :)

Oh no! I'm sorry. :(

I hope you don't give up! Martin and Frasier were definitely sick before you ever got them. You did your best, but there is only so much you can do if you're starting out with fish preexisting problems.

Hi Morgan'sMiracles, I am so sorry for your loss.  They were two very sweet little fish.

I have faced a bad bout of illness with my new fish this year too.  I completely understand about the QT fatigue.  I bought two together too to save problems.... it didn't work either.  I ended up with two QTs and trying to cycle a tank, and had my tropical fish sick at the same time.  Now after being in the main tank for two weeks, one had an accident and is in QT again.

Don't give up though.  Take a couple of weeks if you need to, disinfect the living daylights out of all your equipment, then let it dry in the sun, then try again once you feel up to it.  Goldfish are so rewarding... I love seeing their little faces come speeding over to the edge of the tank to see what you are up to... just in case....

"are you going to feed me????"

Very sorry to hear about Fraiser. I think a little time off from goldfish might be beneficial since you've experienced so many deaths lately. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go back, though!

It'll be awhile definitely, if only because i have no money. . . at least a week, probably more. It's super frustrating because i finally got my big tank put together again (the missing part for the filter arrived yesterday, and the replacement faucet adapter for my water vac too) so im not really sure how to feel about that. . . but after that, ill probably keep looking at petstores and wait for The One to grab me.

Well, i almost lasted a week before i broke down and bought two more. Their names are Clarabelle and Monet. They are both fantails, but Monet seems more longbodied. He almost looks like a double tailed commet. Clarabelle has some shiny (nacreous??) scales. Both seem to have some buggies, as Monet is breathing really fast and Clara may be very slightly pineconed. Of course it is so slight it wasn't noticeable in the store. //Le sigh

I'll try to take some pics once they're in the 29g. I decided to just treat them in there, because I see no reason to have an empty, albeit cycled, tank and then set up a smaller, uncycled tank.

Fins crossed for Clarabelle and Monet!

I wish you LOTS of luck with your 2 new goldies. ;) I'm so sorry about all the other goldfish you have lost recently. :(

I wish you LOTS of luck with your 2 new goldies. ;) I'm so sorry about all the other goldfish you have lost recently. :(

Thanks. I bought these from an entirely different state than the others, so i am hoping they will be fine. . . fins crossed

Can we see pics of Clarabelle and Monet?  They sound so sweet!  :hi

Congrats on your new fish! I'm sure that with some treatment & their nice big clean tank, they'll do great :) Can't wait to see pics, also!

They are gorgeous!  What beautiful babies!  They are certainly active too!  :hi

Congrats! Clarabelle is particularly beautiful, but I'm always lusting after calicos. 

I hope that they have an uneventful QT. Perhaps the rapid gill movement, in addition to flukes or something, is just from being stressed and frightened? Have you taken an aerial photo of the pineconing fish? Sometimes I think that Duchess is pineconed, but it's mostly anxiety on my part. 

Lovely fish! And very busy :)

Congrats! Clarabelle is particularly beautiful, but I'm always lusting after calicos.

I hope that they have an uneventful QT. Perhaps the rapid gill movement, in addition to flukes or something, is just from being stressed and frightened? Have you taken an aerial photo of the pineconing fish? Sometimes I think that Duchess is pineconed, but it's mostly anxiety on my part.

I did, and it doesnt show at all in the video and she is very active and intrested in whats going on so i think i was just overreacting. Though she is kinda funny shaped. Ive been told to watch her carefully.

So today marked the end of Prazi round one. This round was done without salt due to Clarabelle having been slightly pineconed. Although she seems all better now, i think i will likely do round two without salt as well. Rounds 3 and 4 will be salted, and then ill leave the salt in for two weeks past that to make sure any parasites they may have are gone.

Currently the 29g is pretty blank, asthetically. No plants, no substrate. Only a single piece of driftwood. Any suggestions? I don't want to go fully planted again, as that made it very difficult ti clean, IMO. I might like some substrate though. . . i really dislike the barebottomed look.

Today marks the beginning of Prazi round 2!! The girls seem super healthy and happy. Im wondering if the prazi isn't getting dissolved well enough. . . they both def. have flukes, so i don't get why they aren't freaking out.

Today marks the beginning of Prazi round 2!! The girls seem super healthy and happy. Im wondering if the prazi isn't getting dissolved well enough. . . they both def. have flukes, so i don't get why they aren't freaking out.

Never used prazi so I cant help you with that, sorry :(

Are you using PraziPro or Aqua Prazi? I read a few pages back but couldn't see; sorry if you mentioned it already. :)

Are you using PraziPro or Aqua Prazi? I read a few pages back but couldn't see; sorry if you mentioned it already. :)

Sorry, the site wasn't working for me a couple of days. . .i am using the powder. So aquaprazi, i guess.

Sorry, the site wasn't working for me a couple of days. . .i am using the powder. So aquaprazi, i guess.
I use the powder, too. Not sure what you are using to dissolve it, but the supplier and other sources advised me to first add a couple drops of vodka/ethanol (just enough to make it dissolve) to the powder, then once it is dissolved, add water before adding it to the tank. The rationale behind this is that praziquantel is not very soluble in water, but is highly soluble in ethanol. The method I use is:

1) Weigh out the powder in a small plastic bag (in my case, 0.1 grams to treat 10 gallons).

2) Add just enough ethanol to make it dissolve, so that it looks like a white slurry - you don't want to add too much. I only added 3 drops, and that was sufficient.

3) Add water to the bag and swish it around - the water should be milky white, perhaps with just a few hard, undissolved particles.

4) Add to tank while stirring to ensure even distribution.

I have been using this method to treat all new fish as well as for maintenance treatments over the past year, with success. I really like the Aqua Prazi; it's a good product.

Ive been completely smashed with work lately so my fish have been a bit neglected. However, yesterday the tanks got much needed cleanings. 95% wc on 29g, and started a much over due round 3 if prazi, this time with salt. 20G got 60% wc.

Clara and Monet are both doing really well. They are constantly begging for food and Monet is getting less hand shy, although Clara still thinks the hand is evil due to the excessive handling the first few days. However, i think she will eventuAlly come around. She and Monet are always together and very happy. I think they missed each other while Clara was in isolation that first week.

Hey all! It's been awhile since I've written a long, meaningful blog post about my fish and there are a few reasons for that. As you all know, I was pretty upset when Kappa died, and the subsequent loss of all of his successors (Mishi, Martin, Frasier) and my black moor Eleazar was a serious blow that knocked me out of my interest cycle in goldfish and honestly, fishkeeping in general. Now, I didn't leave the hobby, per se-- I kept my tanks and my fish-- but the care was a chore and I hated it. I finally managed to get a pair of goldfish that didn't die within a few weeks, but my trust in goldfish and pet stores is officially shattered, so throughout their entire quarantine I was convinced that I would wake up to dead fishies, as I have so many times in the past few months.

On top of my intense fear of my fish dying (and the resulting inability/reluctance to form an attachment to them), I have been absolutely slammed with work the past two months! Not only was I working as a housekeeper/spa attendent but I was also training at Hannaford. So basically I was working two jobs for almost a month. During this time, my fish were seriously neglected. So, awful as it is, the goldfish have only today ended their quarantine. Yeah. With their first few prazi rounds done saltless, I wanted to do their second two with salt. . . and uhm, may have left them in with their salt and prazi with no wc for a few weeks. That was terrible of me, but as I mentioned, I literally had no time to do anything with them.

In better news, I have been working on giving them higher quality food lately. My brother has been doing me a giant favor by thawing out some fbw or frozen brine shrimp every day for my fish. I am trying to get my ansorgiis to color up, but I always give some to the gf too, so they are benefitting. I'd give you some nice pictures and videos, but unfortunately, my home internet isn't working with koko's. It is the only site that doesn't work on my devices. For some reason, my internet blocks it-- but as soon as I turn wifi off and use data, I can access the site fine.

That's my final reason for being away so darn long with no responses or comments anywhere on the forum. I am simply unable to access the site. It's stupid and ridiculous and incredibly frustrating. I need to make it work.

Anyhow! Clara and Monet are doing extremely well, though they don't seem to have grown at all. At least, they don't look like they have. They still don't eat from my hands, but I am working on it. I just don't know how to make them do it! It was a total fluke with Kappa. One day, he just started doing it. But these fish are totally hand shy.

Any foods you'd recommend? I only have the omega one small goldfish pellets and the 1mm NLS golfish pellets. I tried the Southern Delight pellets with Kappa and Eleazar and it made Kappa super floaty. . . But these fish are healthy and good looking, so I am considering buying more? I gave it to my friend (who has one common named Iggy) when I couldn't use it. Are there any others you'd recommend?

So, sorry for the super long post. It's just nice to talk to someone that enjoys gf like I do. Also, forgot to mention-- 90% wc on 29g, 60% wc on 20g today. Added some anubias to 29g when I removed the prazi and salt.

Me to Emilee Morgan

Hey all! It's been awhile since I've written a long, meaningful blog post about my fish and there are a few reasons for that. As you all know, I was pretty upset when Kappa died, and the subsequent loss of all of his successors (Mishi, Martin, Frasier) and my black moor Eleazar was a serious blow that knocked me out of my interest cycle in goldfish and honestly, fishkeeping in general. Now, I didn't leave the hobby, per se-- I kept my tanks and my fish-- but the care was a chore and I hated it. I finally managed to get a pair of goldfish that didn't die within a few weeks, but my trust in goldfish and pet stores is officially shattered, so throughout their entire quarantine I was convinced that I would wake up to dead fishies, as I have so many times in the past few months.

On top of my intense fear of my fish dying (and the resulting inability/reluctance to form an attachment to them), I have been absolutely slammed with work the past two months! Not only was I working as a housekeeper/spa attendent but I was also training at Hannaford. So basically I was working two jobs for almost a month. During this time, my fish were seriously neglected. So, awful as it is, the goldfish have only today ended their quarantine. Yeah. With their first few prazi rounds done saltless, I wanted to do their second two with salt. . . and uhm, may have left them in with their salt and prazi with no wc for a few weeks. That was terrible of me, but as I mentioned, I literally had no time to do anything with them.

In better news, I have been working on giving them higher quality food lately. My brother has been doing me a giant favor by thawing out some fbw or frozen brine shrimp every day for my fish. I am trying to get my ansorgiis to color up, but I always give some to the gf too, so they are benefitting. I'd give you some nice pictures and videos, but unfortunately, my home internet isn't working with koko's. It is the only site that doesn't work on my devices. For some reason, my internet blocks it-- but as soon as I turn wifi off and use data, I can access the site fine.

That's my final reason for being away so darn long with no responses or comments anywhere on the forum. I am simply unable to access the site. It's stupid and ridiculous and incredibly frustrating. I need to make it work.

Anyhow! Clara and Monet are doing extremely well, though they don't seem to have grown at all. At least, they don't look like they have. They still don't eat from my hands, but I am working on it. I just don't know how to make them do it! It was a total fluke with Kappa. One day, he just started doing it. But these fish are totally hand shy.

Any foods you'd recommend? I only have the omega one small goldfish pellets and the 1mm NLS golfish pellets. I tried the Southern Delight pellets with Kappa and Eleazar and it made Kappa super floaty. . . But these fish are healthy and good looking, so I am considering buying more? I gave it to my friend (who has one common named Iggy) when I couldn't use it. Are there any others you'd recommend?

So, sorry for the super long post. It's just nice to talk to someone that enjoys gf like I do. Also, forgot to mention-- 90% wc on 29g, 60% wc on 20g today. Added some anubias to 29g when I removed the prazi and salt.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Hi welcome back  :hi  I remember you getting your new fish and they were super cute and I'm glad they passed QT even if it was a SUPER long QT but they sound like they are doing great and it sounds like you have been super busy with work so I'm not gonna ask for pics and also you said your internet doesn't allow Koko's so yeah thanks for the update.