Sign in to follow this  
Morgan'sMiracles

Back in the Game

Ever since I started keeping fish two or three years ago, I've longed to have goldfish. Sadly I only started out with a ten gallon tank. Only in the last year did I acquire a 20 gallon tank, which I will soon be upgrading to a 30g. I have one fancy goldfish, named Kappa. He is such a sweetie!

Little Kappa came home with me April 12, purchased from my local PetSmart.

ipadmoments187.jpg

Here is a bit later, with him in the tank!

ipadmoments191.jpg

Even in the short month or so I have had him/her, I have changed the tank a lot. But... the actual reason I am making this blog is so i have someone to talk at about my fish situations.

Today I did a large water change on my 20g and both 10gs. I scrubeed the bottom of Kappa's tank and the sides, moved around his plants and plucked the dirty ones... His tank looks amazing and I am just so thoroughly pleased with myself and my tanks! It is so clear and beautiful! And then Pascal {pink betta} is in a tank with 3 cories. His tank has been looking REALLY BAD as of late, but today I finally fixed it up. I moved in a length of hornwort from the 20g, added some vals from the other 10g and removed the large, dark, ugly silk plant. So, that looks great. And then the other ten has been looking very, very empty. My sister gave me two aponogeton clippings which I planted in there, and I also took apart the clumps of val and planted them around the tank. His{Torrent, red white and blue crowntail} tank also got two java fern propogations and a length of brazilian pennywort from the 20g. I swapped around my airpumps as well, so his sponge filter is finally working correctly. All in all, I am very happy with the day's work!

My sister, too, has a fish, a small dark colored betta named Parker. She needs help cleaning his tank because she doesn't know how to use the gravel vac. Anyways, she wanted to do an in depth cleaning. She used my magnetic scrubber on the algae and then used my net to scoop up her unwanted duckweed and frogbit. After she had finished with this I poked the vacuum into the tank, peering around anxiously for Parker, nervous I would suck him up! But, I couldn't see him. Naturally I looked in the bucket... My sister had scooped the fish up with the plants and dropped him into the bucket! I am glad now, in retrospect, that she didn't take my advice and squeeze out the plants before dropping them into the bucket! Thankfully he was noticed and is now totally fine, swimming happily around his tank. But for both of us it was totally stressful, and definitely worse for Parker!

So, that's what I wanted to share with all of you fishie type people. Blog ya later!

Congratulations on Kappa :) Beautiful goldfish! It sounds like you have been super busy... keeping those tanks is a lot of work, but man does it feel good when it's all clean and sparkly! And I'm sure your fishies love it too!

Oh yes, "kappa-tivated" <-- awesome!

Happy Kappa! Please post a video so we can watch Kappa swim around in your tank. :)

Kappa is beautiful! Do I spy a tiny wen on the top of his head?

@amoonklein- My parents refuse to let me get a python water vac, so I was basically lugging water for hours... But yeah, it is so satisfying when I finish!

@LisaCGold- I will try to upload a video, but photobucket won't let me. I suppose YouTube is the best bet for that...

@BronwynH- Maybe a teeny tiny one... Not much of anything, tho. Hopefully in time...

:heart Kappa is very pretty! :thumbs: to a job well done :)

What a darling little fish! :)

So cute! :heart

Would love to see the bettas too! ;)

So cute! :heart

Would love to see the bettas too! ;)

I am working on uploading a video of kappa and after that, I will see if I have the patience to upload videos of Torrent and Pascal. :) Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Kappa

Pascal

Torrent

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Nice & roomy! :hi5

Wonderful! Kappa is cool! Your betas are beautiful. Good job with the plants in your tank!

Kappa is even pudgier and rounder than I thought from his pic. Super cute! And your bettas are absolutely beautiful! They make me want to have bettas again. :)

Haha, thanks guys! I absolutely love my tanks right now. It's nice to get compliments from fishy people(my brother has a tank but sucks at landscaping and my sister basically just whines about how her tank doesn't look perfect).

But I thought I would mention, in case any of you were wondering, that the tiny filter on my 20g is only temporary and I will be getting a 400gph filter, probably this weekend.

So tomorrow I have a job interview down in Kittery at the bakery where my grandparents work. I am so nervous! I have never had a job before and the idea of being interviewed by anyone freaks me out totally. But, the job will give me the necessary funds to purchase fishie stuff such as a 30g, Prazi, the python(hopefully!), and some more foods. Also for the interview I will be staying at my moms house, as she lives closer.

I am thinking that at some point in the future I would like to make some gel food. What do you guys use in your gel food? Keep in mind I am a (currently) jobless fifteen year old with little to no money to spend when giving suggestions! ^.^ There are some foods I have seen suggested to feed in general that I want to purchase, such as pro gold and saki hikari- along with some GC spirulina flakes. Currently Kappa gets OmegaOne small pellets 2-3 times a day(when I get up, when I get home from school and when I go to bed), and every few days brine shrimp or blood worms(both frozen). I plan to feed more of those soon, but currently I am mooching them from my brother, who feeds them to his paradise fish. He is getting irritated by this set up however, so perhaps this will be the weekend I get my own frozen BWs.

Kappa is such a sweetie. Before I fed him today I was watching him and I saw him chasing bubbles from the currently- loose air tube in my tank. He seemed truly intrigued by them! It was adorable, but I didn't get a video before he stopped. Maybe some other time, though.

Wish me luck on my job interview and fish (related) purchases!

Good luck and energy to you on your job interview tomorrow!!!

Making some gel food will take some funds. When you get your first paycheck from your job, you can purchase either Repashy gel food or NLS gel food. You'll have to check around at your local fish stores to find this unless you can pay with a credit card online (tastyworms.com for Repashy Soilent Green would be good).

If you don't already know, please watch out how much you feed your fish. Overfeeding is common, because goldies always look hungry (unless they are sick). 1% of body weight is best per day. Smalls meals throughout day is good. If you don't have a scale then whatever your fish can eat in 1-2 minutes per feeding.

Good luck and energy to you on your job interview tomorrow!!!

Making some gel food will take some funds. When you get your first paycheck from your job, you can purchase either Repashy gel food or NLS gel food. You'll have to check around at your local fish stores to find this unless you can pay with a credit card online (tastyworms.com for Repashy Soilent Green would be good).

If you don't already know, please watch out how much you feed your fish. Overfeeding is common, because goldies always look hungry (unless they are sick). 1% of body weight is best per day. Smalls meals throughout day is good. If you don't have a scale then whatever your fish can eat in 1-2 minutes per feeding.

What about for making gel food, though? I would like to try that because it looks fun, and I want to teach my fish to hand feed and omega one pellets aren't big enough. I have looked into Repashy, though. None of my local stores have it. I will look into the NLS gel food this weekend.

I don't think I am over feeding him. What he gets he gobbles up in like, thirty seconds. And he gets that thrice a day. I want to get a scales at some point- and possibly an automatic feeder- but later. Until then, I am relatively confident I am not over feeding. I appreciate your concern, though. :)

Here is a link to some gel food recipes: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97760-share-your-gel-food-recipes-for-floaters/

Sounds like you are paying great attention to avoiding over feeding.

Thank you, Lisa! This will be instrumental when the time comes in the (hopefully) near future that I can make gel food! And yes, I do try hard not to over feed little kappa. Much as I want him to grow, I worry if I feed him too much he will get fishy diabetes, if there is such a thi, or at least something undesirable. I don't want that happening to Kappa.

So right now I am at my moms house and kappa and all my other fish are half an hour away at my dad's house. My older brother always feeds them when I am away but I know he won't follow my feeding schedule for the bettas and I fret that he will forget to fast kappa today, as well as forgetting to feed him thrice tomorrow. There have been so many time, when I had tropical fish, that I would go to my moms and come home to dead fish, or get a call mid morning from my brother to tell me that my favorite swordtail had ich. All these problems with tropicals were actually the rason I started with goldfish- not because they will be easier but because I had been hit a devastating blow that killed 70% of my fish, and I still don't know what it was. So after quarantining the remaining few, I transferred them to my mother's tropical tank, where they now happily live among others of their kind.

The plants in my goldfish tank grow so well! I had the java ferns for a rather long time- over a year- before they went into Kappa's tank. They only produced one baby in that whole time. But now, in the almosttwomonths that I have had them in there, they have produced like six babies! I love java fern, but I am running out of places to put it! There is some in all of my tanks and my brother's and sister's tanks. I absolutely love the fast growth! And my Anubias seem happy, although they are coated with dark, ugly algae(which I will clean next tank cleaning). My favorite aquarium plant, though, is vallisneria. In my 20, I only have jungle val but my first experience and true love is the Italian Val which I have in my betta tanks. I absolutely love the plants and I don't think my tanks would be nearly as enjoyable without them.

So, guess what? I got the job. The guy really liked me. He even let me pick the day I started- Monday 16. First day off from school. I will only be working Mondays and Tuesdays. Still, i am happy for this arrangement. I was honestly worried I wouldn't get the job but the guy who interviewed me actually was pretty nice.

Also, I know it is insane to do more than one blog post a day but I am very frustrated right now. My mom's tropical tank is overstocked, under cleaned and under filtered. She has had three deaths in the past week. Three of her fish are just lounging listlessly at the top of the tank. If I had my tank cleaning stuff here I would do a large water change but my mom doesn't have a water vacuum or buckets, and I didn't think to bring mine. One of the swordtails is really bad, a smallish red and black swordtail female. I am honestly astonished she didn't notice- his fins are completely white and clamped(as opposed to the black and open as they should be) and the area around where his fins attach is all white washed. His spine seems bent and he is stick thin. I am worried it might be TB, because I don't know of any other disease to bend a fish's spine. I really don't know what to do other than what I have- seperate him into a other container, salt it and add a bubble thingy so he can breath... He isn't going to live, though.

Sad thing: went to local PetCo today to show mom the filter we will be picking up tomorrow. I went to look at the goldies because I love to look at them. There was a tank of pearlscales, which in itself isn't sad. But there was one crown pearlscale with a gaping red would on it's side. It was clearly bleeding. For a second I couldn't understand what it was, and then it hit me- that was where the fin was supposed to go. That poor pearlscale had had his fin ripped off! I felt soooo bad for the baby. And then in the oranda tank there were two beautiful little lilacs, but I could see clear ich spots on them. There were two tiny panda moors(no more than an inch, total) and one was unable to get away from the filter. He was struggling hard not to get sucked in! Lastly there was a golden bronze comet/ common in with the orandas and his tail was kinked, like it had been closed in a door or something. I felt so bad for all these goldfish!

Kappa and your tank's look great!!!

Kappa has quite the belly on him! :teehee Congrats!

And congratulations also on your new job! How are you liking it so far? :)

Kappa has quite the belly on him! :teehee Congrats!

And congratulations also on your new job! How are you liking it so far? :)

Unfortunately my job doesn't start for two weeks- I won't be out of school until then. However that may be a blessing in disguise, because I do need time to get my work permit, as I am technically underage for working.

I got my huge 400gph filter for Kappa's tank and put it on yesterday. It takes up half of the back rim on the tank and the intake is longer than the tank is high! I was worried about Kappa getting sucked in but he seems to have no trouble with the current at all. I still look forward to the day where I will be able to purchase a thirty gallon for him, but for now I feel less guilty for having him in a 20g.

I found a problem, though. My brother, the one who feeds my fish when I am gone, is planning on getting a job as well. The job I will be starting is a long way from home, so I will have to be staying with my mom. That will take me away from home Mon, Tues, Wed. There is no way my brother will still be able to feed Kappa enough if he, too, is busy with a job! Plus even now, when I am gone he only feeds Kappa once a day! I need to get an automatic feeder, but I am pretty sure the filter would just steal his food. I have been turning off this huge new one when I fed him. So temporarily, I am going to keep my mind busy with freaking out over this instead of worrying about starting my job.

Today I did another water change. I don't really have a schedule- basically whenever I feel like cleaning it, once a week. Today it was a 70% cleaning. I added some cute cups, one of which I put an aponogeton in, the other of which is lying on it's side for Kappa to lounge in if he wants to, but also so I can have peace of mind at night, knowing he has somewhere safe to rest, of he wanted to. I so love my little fishie. I don't even mind doing the WCs, despite having to use the bucket.

I tried to measure him, too... I taped a ruler to the side of the tank and tried to hold him near enough to it for me to read. Then. I had my sister take a picture. She didn't do a very good job, but I doubt I could have done better, especially with Kappa squirming. It still freaks me out to have him against my hand so I had to fight not to let him go! That said, I have pics for you guys.

imagejpg5-1.jpg

His peduncle(sp?) reaches juuuust about to the 2" mark.

imagejpg6-1.jpg

Just a short video to show how my tank looks now- what I changed. Mostly it is to showcase Kappa, though.

I don't know if you can tell, but kappa has one red eye and one blue eye. I think it is totally adorable!

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles