Sign in to follow this  

My PH was at 6.6 this morning. I did a full 100% w/c and then tested the PH an hour later, which was 6.0. I've added a buffer and will test it in a few hours.

Why am I having issues now. My tap water's PH is 7.2.

Before w/c am 0.25, Nitri, 0, Nitra, 5.0

After w/c am 0, Nitri, 0, Nitrate, 0

190l juwel trigon.

Hubby went and brought home 2 baby telescopes, so now I'm at 4 goldfish.

Okay I think we need to test your KH and GH on your tap water. 

What kind of buffer are you using? 

I want you to do me a favor. Get a container about a gallon of water. Fill it with tap water.

Then....

1. Test the PH and KH :)

2. Let it sit for 24 hours and test it again. PH and KH. 

I want to see what the water changes on its own with out anything that is added to the tank. This will help us figure out your water problems better :) 

Ok I will do this now and test the water tomorrow. 

I use Seachum alkaline buffer.

Ive tried to test kh but it's confusing. 

Do I count from when then water turns blue? Also it never ends up the green colour it's suppose to.

2 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Ok I will do this now and test the water tomorrow. 

I use Seachum alkaline buffer.

Ive tried to test kh but it's confusing. 

Do I count from when then water turns blue? Also it never ends up the green colour it's suppose to.

Okay lets try and find some Crushed coral from the LFS  just plan crushed coral. 

You can get a mesh bag and put it in your filter, this will help with the KH and PH :)

What kind of test do you have for the KH? 

I have API drop test. 

I left tap water for 24hours.

Before 7.6 and today 6.6, so I guess I better buy some crushed coral.

Yes definitely buffer!  Crushed coral or baking soda.  It’s the instability of the pH that is a much bigger deal than the actual pH.  It may be that you need to let water sit in a big rubbermade trash can to offgas overnight before you siphon it from the trash can to the tank, or that small daily water changes will help your fish more than large weekly or biweekly, because of those swings.

My water parameters are much more stable. I've added crushed coral to the filter.

New additions to the family, 2 Chihuahua's... Duke & Diesel

Image1112147540.jpg

Image102732803.jpg

Guys, the crushed coral worked for a time, but now it's back down to 6.0. It was 6.6 yesterday, then I did a 70% w/c and now it's low. I don't want to go back to using liquid chemicals again but this is annoying now. 

Could it be that I'm using only 50g of crushed coral? Do I need more to cover the 190l volume?

4 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Guys, the crushed coral worked for a time, but now it's back down to 6.0. It was 6.6 yesterday, then I did a 70% w/c and now it's low. I don't want to go back to using liquid chemicals again but this is annoying now. 

Could it be that I'm using only 50g of crushed coral? Do I need more to cover the 190l volume?

I would add more sounds like your water has consumed it all. That remi2me I need to do mine too.

Ok I will add more...

If my water has consumed it all, is the coral now useless?

Maybe it was my source of crushed coral, but it was too finicky for me.  It does have a shelf life, so you have to stay on top of it.  But my main buffer is baking soda for goldfish,  I do use Seachem Alkaline buffer for my tropical fish tanks (smaller volume).  Both are good.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:56 AM, dahling8 said:

Maybe it was my source of crushed coral, but it was too finicky for me.  It does have a shelf life, so you have to stay on top of it.  But my main buffer is baking soda for goldfish,  I do use Seachem Alkaline buffer for my tropical fish tanks (smaller volume).  Both are good.

That is another great way of doing it too. I had to change out my crushed coral yesterday. I had mine in there about 3 months. So if it's going out on you to soon. Try the baking soda way 👍

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this