Sign in to follow this  
fanta_naranja

Suddenly missing an eye and "frayed" Oranda head

This Oranda was recovering from what I think was "hole in the head" disease. After treating him in the QT for 5 days and reintroducing him to the main tank, we looked away for a few hours and this happened. Could this all have been caused by his tankmate, a comet? Or is there some sort of infection of his Wen. He's swimming normally...

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank) 0-0.25

Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

Nitrate level(Tank) 10

Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25

Nitrite Level(Tap) 0

Nitrate level(Tap) 5

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) normal

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) normal

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops

Water temperature? 75

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 gallons, mature

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  eheim pro 4+

How often do you change the water and how much? 10% daily

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 10% this morning as normal with reintroducing the Oranda

How many fish in the tank and their size? Comet: Huge, oranda, Large

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and 1tbs salt / 10 gallons (just for now)

What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS 1-2 minutes 1-2x / day

Any new fish added to the tank? n/a

Any medications added to the tank? Medicated Wonder Shell

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. See above.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? his eye fell out and his Wen is frayed

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Actually he seems to be staying closer to the top. Maybe he is trying to avoid the other fish?

Edited by fanta_naranja

Update: Now that I've seen the nipping in person, I can't deny that it's the cause of this. I had no Idea the wen could fray like that. I blame myself for reintroducing the Oranda while he was still injured (even though nothing happened for a day). I'm using a makeshift tank divider to prevent further nipping for now. I think the eye was previously damaged by an old case of popeye, so it came off easier. I've added Melafix to help healing.

Looking for stories of goldfish who lost eyes and went on to live long and happy lives...

Eye-eaters are not very common, but they are typically repeat offenders.  Sadly, you will probably need to limit the comet to a one-fish tank or find him a koi pond.  Goldfish do fine with one eye.

We will do that. Do I need to remove the damaged parts of the oranda's wen or swab his injuries with anything? Or only if they become infected?

Just keep him in super clean water.  If he hasn't improved in a couple of weeks we can try salt dips or medication.

11 hours ago, shakaho said:

Just keep him in super clean water.  If he hasn't improved in a couple of weeks we can try salt dips or medication.

He seems to have popeye around his remaining eye that's gotten worse since the incident. I do a 10% WC every day. I don't know how to get the water any cleaner. Ammonia hovers around .25, which is the same as the tap, but I add a measure of Prime every day with the WC.

Do 100% water changes.  Get a 10 gallon container for the fish.  Something like this works fine. 

10% a day is fine for healthy fish, but sick fish shed dead tissue, excess slime and bacteria and or pathogens into the water.  You need to get rid of that.

Oh poor guy!  Unfortunately Shakaho is right, once an eye eater pops up it tends to happen again.  Clean water and salt dips are what I’d recommend as well, I’d be doing twice daily water changes just in case.

Moving the fish into a bucket or large bowl and just dumping the hospital tank water before refilling and conditioning is easiest, I think.

3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh poor guy!  Unfortunately Shakaho is right, once an eye eater pops up it tends to happen again.  Clean water and salt dips are what I’d recommend as well, I’d be doing twice daily water changes just in case.

Moving the fish into a bucket or large bowl and just dumping the hospital tank water before refilling and conditioning is easiest, I think.

OK.twice daily 100% water changes in the hospital tank is do-able. What concentration of salt for the dip and how long? Any salt for the HT?

Start the dips at 0.5% solution of aquarium safe salt (just NaCl, no additives like iodine or yellow prussiate). That’s about 5 teaspoons of salt per gallon, but weighing it and your water is more accurate.  Generally you just dissolve it and dip your fish until he faints or tips over to the side.  Then you remove him back to his clean tank water.  You can do this salt dips several times per day if he is tolerating them well - I’d aim for at least once daily, twice is better if you’re seeing flashing/slime coat sloughing/poor color/etc.

But ONLY do the salt dips if his symptoms are worsening.  I’d honestly not start them for now.  Just clean tank water, lights off, no treatments.  Lowering his stress is the best medicine at the moment

Thank you. You are always a huge help.

The only thing that is getting worse is the swelling around his remaining eye. His behavior is actually great.

Could you get a closeup of the swelling?  The ring of fluid could be an issue or not - honestly one of my own fish has had one that gets bigger or smaller the entire time I’ve owned him!  But if it is a new symptom we should keep an eye on it (no pun intended).  I’m thinking it could resolve on its own though.

II couldn't see any swelling around the surviving eye.  I looks normal to me.  Take a picture looking down on the fish.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:51 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Could you get a closeup of the swelling?  The ring of fluid could be an issue or not - honestly one of my own fish has had one that gets bigger or smaller the entire time I’ve owned him!  But if it is a new symptom we should keep an eye on it (no pun intended).  I’m thinking it could resolve on its own though.

20190430_180558.jpg

Okay I do see a bit of a fluid ring but very slight. I’d not treat for that with anything but half a teaspoon of epsom salt per ten gallons.  Let’s see if the epsom calms it or not.