Sign in to follow this  
Megan33

Fishless cycle

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

I find your tests unreadable.  Can you get one of these:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freshwater-Master-laminated-color-holding/dp/B00E8B10D8

I had her lay them down maybe sit-in upright again would help better :) 

Tested my tap water for PH, it is 8.

Today NH3 is 0.5, NO2 is 0.25, NO3 is 2.5.

Why unreadable Shakaho? There is a slight difference in the colour, when test is laid down. I like to stand it up and the colour on top matches to it. I will purchase this for my next kit. 

My source is Dr Tim's ammonia. I've also used one and only, which has strong claims of cyclying a tank fast. Not the case for me though

9 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Tested my tap water for PH, it is 8.

Today NH3 is 0.5, NO2 is 0.25, NO3 is 2.5.

Okay let the tank run for 24 hours and test again. :)

9 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Why unreadable Shakaho? There is a slight difference in the colour, when test is laid down. I like to stand it up and the colour on top matches to it. I will purchase this for my next kit. 

My source is Dr Tim's ammonia. I've also used one and only, which has strong claims of cyclying a tank fast. Not the case for me though

That ways my fault, I thought laying them down would be easier to read. But in fact you having them stand up is easier to read for me. :)

Your ph seems to hold well so dont worry about the PH and KH :) and the GH 

That's really good to know, Thank you Koko.

I will test again tomorrow and see what's going on

18 hours ago, DieselPlower said:

I don't doubt you but do you have a source for the 1ppm info?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This paper is ancient,  and reports inhibition at ammonia concentrations as low as 0.5ppm.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/25038971?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

I have no familiarity with the techniques used in this paper, but the results look convincing.

http://www.eeer.org/upload/eer-13-3-125-.pdf

"As the NH3-N increased from 0.0 to 1.0, 4.1, 9.7 and 22.9 mg/L, the KNO decreased from 0.141 to 0.116, 0.100, 0.097 and 0.081 mg NO2 - -N/mg NOB․h, respectively. The KNO values, expressed in percentage relative to the control value (  ), were 100, 82, 71, 69 and 57%, respectively."

Tested today. 

NH3 2.0, NO2 4.0, NO3 40.0

Don't know why its going up instead of decreasing. Or maybe this is the spike...

Shakaho, I like layman's terms as this too complicated. 

I bought an internal UV sterilizer power head. The green killing machine because the algae is bothering me too much visually.

4 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Tested today. 

Okay water change :please 

4 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Don't know why its going up instead of decreasing. Or maybe this is the spike...

Shakaho, I like layman's terms as this too complicated. 

I bought an internal UV sterilizer power head. The green killing machine because the algae is bothering me too much visually.

Dont hook up the UV guy yet. This wouldn't be a good time to do it. Wait till your cycle is done :) 

So glad you said that! I did a 20% water change 2 hours ago. It just felt needed.

I haven't put the UV in yet luckily, I didnt want to interfere with anything it.

I'm really getting abit fed up now though. I think this is when people start making mistakes out of sheer frustration and the patience that is needed. 😥

UV will kill 100% of Dr. Tim's nitrifiers that have not yet attached to a surface. 

If you use it after the nitrifiers are all attached, it will kill algae going through the UV powerhead.  The dead algae will rot, using up oxygen from the water. Both fish and nitrifying microbes need oxygen to survive.

Well no change here..

I've let the vials sit with distilled water in, and hope this helps with results!

Won't be adding ammonia until I get a zero reading. This is third day, I've not added any.

I've ended up adding the UV... It just got too bad with the algae and now water is crystal clear. I know u said it will kill all of Dr Ts nitrifiers, that haven't attached to a surface but I'm sure it will only take the floating bacteria.

I'm trying my best at this

I know you know so much more than me. This is my first time doing fishless cycle, so if this comes back to bite me in the , this will be my karma.

I won't be reckless enough to add fish to poor quality water and won't be putting any fish at risk. So if the cycle takes longer for this, so be it but I needed to see no algae. It was taking over and growing everywhere. Now it looks alot better but I know the cycle is ongoing. Don't be offended.

Image1529574979.jpg

Image830730028.jpg

No offensiveness here. :thumbs:

Well I would test the tank in the morning :) 

If the ammonia is 1.0 and above change at lease 40% of the water. :) 

The test today was virtually the same, so I did a 60-70% water change. I used prime and stability.Hope this moves the cycle forward and I get some zero results for ammonia and nitrates. 

6 hours after w/c

PH 7, NH3 0.2, NO2 0.5, NO3 10.0

I've added a dose of ammonia

On 5/3/2019 at 10:39 AM, Megan33 said:

6 hours after w/c

PH 7, NH3 0.2, NO2 0.5, NO3 10.0

I've added a dose of ammonia

your so very close :) 

It's actually been 0 for ammonia and nitrites every morning since. I did a huge water change yesterday, and got 2 baby fantails this morning. The water parameters are still perfect. I fed them a small piece of gel food this evening and know not to over do it. I'm going to slowly add the fish I want. So, see how the tank copes with the 2 babies and if all goes well, I will be getting some baby oranda's.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, Megan33 said:

It's actually been 0 for ammonia and nitrites every morning since. I did a huge water change yesterday, and got 2 baby fantails this morning. The water parameters are still perfect. I fed them a small piece of gel food this evening and know not to over do it. I'm going to slowly add the fish I want. So, see how the tank copes with the 2 babies and if all goes well, I will be getting some baby oranda's.

How is it going now for you? 

Really well, I love them!

Testing waters every day which are consistent. The nitrates were 20.0-40.0 today, so I did a 90% water change. They love bloodworms but I'm trying not to give them all the time as I know they are a treat. Hard getting them to eat veg as they turn their nose up at it. I give them gel food but I'm going to do a new batch with veg in it( trick em).

So no issues but thanks for checking up.

I'm getting 3 new baby oranda's next week, so I'm sure I'll have things to post about then...

Image1037153371.jpg

Image1360074623.jpg

Awesome, the tank looks really nice :thumbs: 

Thanks so much😘. I had to hold off getting the oranda's, as I wanted the 2 babies to be really settled. But I'll be getting them next week. 

I see this raffle of the best aquariums and I'm sooo jealous. How do I join?

1 hour ago, Megan33 said:

Thanks so much. I had to hold off getting the oranda's, as I wanted the 2 babies to be really settled. But I'll be getting them next week. 

I see this raffle of the best aquariums and I'm sooo jealous. How do I join?

Nice looking tank!  Nice clean look.  Any chance of getting a full tank photo?  :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this