Sign in to follow this  
Megan33

Fishless cycle

Hi All, new here. I have a 190l tank. Internal filter, sand, 3 plants and a few pebbles. I'm 2 weeks into the cycle using the ammonia method. Keeping between 2-4ppm. Nitrite and Nitrate levels low. Leaving lights on between 6-8 hours. I'm getting quite Abit of algae build up, on the glass, one plant and rippled all over the white sand.

I haven't done any water changes. Should I clean the algae up Abit or leave it be?

4 hours ago, Megan33 said:

Hi All, new here. I have a 190l tank. Internal filter, sand, 3 plants and a few pebbles. I'm 2 weeks into the cycle using the ammonia method. Keeping between 2-4ppm. Nitrite and Nitrate levels low. Leaving lights on between 6-8 hours. I'm getting quite Abit of algae build up, on the glass, one plant and rippled all over the white sand.

I haven't done any water changes. Should I clean the algae up Abit or leave it be?

:hi and :welcome

It wouldn't hurt to wipe it all down so it can get into the filter. :)

I would love to see photos of your set up :) 

Hi Koko, I tried to post pic but file size is too large. It's juwel Trigon 190l. Black background, pure white sand. Led air stone, Grey large pebbles. Then I have 3 glass pot which sticks to aquarium glass and one plant in each. I will try again to get file size down so I can post it:iwill

1 hour ago, Megan33 said:

Hi Koko, I tried to post pic but file size is too large. It's juwel Trigon 190l. Black background, pure white sand. Led air stone, Grey large pebbles. Then I have 3 glass pot which sticks to aquarium glass and one plant in each. I will try again to get file size down so I can post it:iwill

Not really hard if you just go to your phone and not choose the biggest size of photos it will fit. I had to do that with my phone. I use I think the third setting down :) 

Actually I had to download a file down app. Plants look alot better today. This was first day of set up

Image2051147586.jpg

6 hours ago, Megan33 said:

AThis was first day of set up

Image2051147586.jpg

Such a big tank, too much trouble to care for.  I'll help you out.  I'll just PM you my address and you can get the tank shipped to me, I know we are in different countries, but I don't mind that you cover the shipping cost.  Thanks for that!  I'll PM you now!  :D

Kidding . . . beautiful tank!  Good Luck with it, the fish are going to LOVE it!  

:gfish:

Edited by Acro

Stunning tank! I love it

Thank you Acro and Mandy. I'm wanting 3 baby oranda's and one perscale. I understand that I will have to upgrade as they get big. So I'm going to get Rio 450.

Today I received Dr Tim's one and only live bacteria. So I put the entire bottle in the tank. Do any of you guys know if this will help with the cycle and possibly speed up the process Abit more.

Before adding this

Ammonia 4ppm

Nitrites 2.0

Nitrates 20.0

@Acro :tomuch:

Okay now that your nitrites are at 2.0 you going to want to change the water out. You dont want the nitrites to go above 2.0 mark or it will stall the cycle :)

You are on your way with the nitrates in there.

I might do a 50% water change and test everything again. If the ammonia is down boost it back to 2ppm :) 

Ok I will do a water change, leave for few hours and test waters. Also think I should dose ammonia every other day now.

Don't add ammonia unless it goes to zero.  If you go to Dr Tim's website you will see that he recommends starting with 2ppm ammonia.  I don't know who dreamed up using 4ppm ammonia for fishless cycling, but  inhibition of ammonia/nitrite oxidation starts at ~1ppm ammonia and increases with the concentration of ammonia.  I suspect this is part of the reason why fishless cycling takes so much longer than fish-in cycling.

Oh my God. This nnnnnnnnnnnnnn me off!!!

I've kept my ammonia steady at 2ppm for a good week now. I'm also on other forums, so I can compare. Someone told me yesterday to up the dose to 4ppm, then test it again today. I totally took his advice, as he is like the king😤 of this forum and not one person disagreed. 

Think this might have messed my cycle up. 

I also won't be taking his advice again!!

Thanks Shakaho!! 

1 hour ago, Megan33 said:

Oh my God. This nnnnnnnnnnnnnn me off!!!

I've kept my ammonia steady at 2ppm for a good week now. I'm also on other forums, so I can compare. Someone told me yesterday to up the dose to 4ppm, then test it again today. I totally took his advice, as he is like the king😤 of this forum and not one person disagreed. 

Think this might have messed my cycle up. 

I also won't be taking his advice again!!

Thanks Shakaho!! 

I will only suggest the 4ppm at the beginning to kick start it, then only to 2ppm so it doesn't do what Sharkaho said.

If you see the nitrites at 2ppm change the water in fact you should only let it get to 1ppm

If you have nitrates then In my opinion you shouldn't add much ammonia at all. You should only add maybe .50 to 1.ppm max. If the tank will consume that amount of ammonia in 24 hours your cycled. 

So I would of been cycled. 

So from now...I've dosed today with Dr times oaolb, so I will test water tomorrow morning. Depending on the readings, I will go from there.

Hoping ammonia isn't high!!

Thanks Koko, please look out for my post tomorrow morning. I trust you guys more than other forums.

This is my results today.

The ammonia is still really high, so I've done a 30% water change. Also, I will be testing my water source later today.

Image495570690.jpg

Do us a Fave next time put the test tubs flat against the test card. Its easier to read that way :)

Yup your ammonia is at 2.0 :O your Nitrites look to be about 1.0 to .5 to me. your nitrates look to be about 10....

I would add your stuff in but no ammonia. Lets see how it looks in 24 hours. :)

By the way have you checked your ph and kh out of the tank or the tap? 

I've tested my tap water for ,NH3 NO2 and NO3, came back 0.

Tank water 

pH 8, NH3 0.5, NO2 0.25, NO3 0, 

KH 3 drops?, GH 3 drops?

No Nitrates, don't know if it's a good thing or not.

Image943916392.jpg

Okay to me we need to feed the tank. Your ammonia looks a little low and our nitrites are little low too.

So lets feed it about .5 ammonia and see what that does in a 24 hour period :) 

I'm taking your advice and just added some more. Hope Its 0 tomorrow morning. 

Is my KH and GH test a problem?

Well your KH is low. So Im wondering if you could test your Tap waters ph.

Don't add ammonia unless it goes to zero.  If you go to Dr Tim's website you will see that he recommends starting with 2ppm ammonia.  I don't know who dreamed up using 4ppm ammonia for fishless cycling, but  inhibition of ammonia/nitrite oxidation starts at ~1ppm ammonia and increases with the concentration of ammonia.  I suspect this is part of the reason why fishless cycling takes so much longer than fish-in cycling.
I don't doubt you but do you have a source for the 1ppm info?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this