Potential Bad news about my aquarium

I have potential bad news about my aquarium. Long story shorten is that I might have to remove my aquarium from where I live.  I do not know what to do.  I am so upset.  My fish are my life and they want me to get rid of them.  I am actually angry.  Well it is not certain if yet if I have to get rid of the aquarium or not, but it is potential.   I probably can talk to my mum about it worse case scenario and see if she can home my fish until things get figured out. I do not know what to do.

Oh wow!  Hope it all works out!  What size tank do you have, and how many fish?

Good Luck!

• Helper
On 4/25/2019 at 5:15 PM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

They pretend it is for my good but it is not. I do not see how it could be.

Who is saying that?

My landlady says it. Now there is a compromise if I change to a twenty gallon aquarium instead of my 55 I can keep my fish. Basically the tank is too big in the landlady’s eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Helper

Yeah that’s for her liability not your good.  What a bummer :(  My landlord before we bought this house had a blanket 20 gallon aquarium rule but I appealed it and they flexed for me because it was on a slab and not a second story, so even a leak would cause fairly minimal structural damage.  I hope you can move or find a compromise with her.  How frustrating!

• Helper

The good news is that you can actually make a smaller tank work if you can commit to more frequent water change and instead, you may not have to rehome if this is temporary?

I am need to convince my support team that I am stable before they will help me get an apartment.  Once I move into the new apartment I can use both my 55 gallon tank and my 20 high.  My current set up was never meant to be a forever situation.  (I forgot to mention I have guppies with goldfish.  I know not a good idea, but I was told that I could only have one tank in this place.  The goldfish do keep the guppy numbers down.)  I am hoping 2020 I will be in my new place.  I wish it could be 2019 but tomorrow is May and things do not move fast.

A few ideas:

Idea 1)  Will they let you have two 20 gallon tanks?  (2 goldfish in one, 1 goldfish and the guppies in the other?)

Idea 2)  Maybe have one 20 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon sump tank under it?  That way your working with a volume of 40 gallons.  If you have a cabinet or a metal aquarium stank, you might even be able to hide the sump.

Just some thoughts that might help.  Take 'em or leave 'em.  Good Luck either way!  :)

Edited by Acro

What I meant to say was: 

"Idea 2)  Maybe have one 20 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon sump tank under it?  That way your working with a volume of 40 gallons.  If you have a cabinet or a metal aquarium stand, you might even be able to hide the sump."

Edited by Acro

I forgot to get the twenty gallon aquarium from mum’s. Maybe next weekend. I got someone from my support team to help me transition from the 55 o the twenty. I guess I will use the same filter I have for the 55 but I need to get new cartridges.
She offered to home the guppies for now. Since the tank is still at mum’s the transition will not be until next week or the week after.
The good news is that I get to keep my goldfish. The lady who is going to help could have convinced someone to keep the 55 gallon tank but she decided not to do so.

• Admin

I lived in an Apartment in CA and I had the same issue with my tanks, but I convinced them since I was on the ground floor, that if I got renters insurance I could keep my 80 gallon, 30 gallon and my 45 gallon tank. Yup landlords dont like tanks bigger than 20 gallons cause it can cause havoc if the water gets all over the place. 

I had a 30 gallon tank just spring 3 pin hole in the side seal of the tank in the middle of the night. It had spilled about 15 gallons on the carpet. :yikes  

• 4 weeks later...

I live in an apartment in an old building (ca. late 1800s), on the second story, with a 75-gallon tank. There was no explicit details about aquariums in my rental agreement, was it mentioned in yours when you signed for your apartment?

What are her concerns about your 55-gallon? Is it in case it breaks/leaks? That's what insurance is for. If it's about the weight, there are ways to mitigate that with proper placement and understanding the structural design of the building. I made sure to place my aquarium along a load-bearing wall so that it could hold the weight. I also have a solid stand which helps distribute the weight more evenly.

EDIT: Sorry I'm a little late here, what ended up happening?

Edited by Caretta Rose

So far nothing has happened.  I have been trying to reach the person who was going to help me transfer the fish to the smaller tank.  She has not responded yet.  I also keep forgetting the tank at my mum's place which is where it is stored.

Maybe they will forget and be distracted with matters of actual importance.  lol

4 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Doubt it since they are threatening to throw stuff out without my permission.

:(

I'd check your rental agreement first before everything. If you have more than one bathroom, you could keep them in the tub of one LOL Makes water changes easy!

• Helper
56 minutes ago, SGcvn69 said:

I'd check your rental agreement first before everything. If you have more than one bathroom, you could keep them in the tub of one LOL Makes water changes easy!

That’s... not the worst idea ever.  Huh.  Not a bad option at all, actually.  I get the impression this is a smaller apartment though.

51 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

That’s... not the worst idea ever.  Huh.  Not a bad option at all, actually.  I get the impression this is a smaller apartment though.

Yeah probably...but the smaller tanks is an idea. My grandfather kept his goldfish in a goldfish bowl for YEARS! He changed its water every day! 

• 3 weeks later...

I got the aquarium swap done. Now I have two goldfish in a twenty gallon tank. The goldfish with the tumor died, so I only have two left. I am thinking about a snail or two.