Open Chat 2

koko

4 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I don’t know if I got an answer to this but why does Mr. Summers slurp so much when eating?  Also why does he keep trying to eat long after all the food has been eaten up?

You should get this behavior on video so that other keepers can see and determine if its normal.

11 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

haha I think he has a good start on it!

Me too. I don't need him to be a big fish or have a big wen, a nice medium sized fish with a nice medium sized wen would make me happy. I love his coloration and everything. Just gotta fill in a bit. Slowly and steadily works for me. Hopefully in 6-8 months he's a cute little man.

9 hours ago, Chai said:

It's beautiful!!! :D

Thank you!

So I got Shion's little food. I mix all 3 of these together for his "sinking mix". Cobalt sinking goldfish pellets, sinking spirulina pellets, and sinking mysis pellets.

I also have a "floating mix" which has the Cobalt floating goldfish pellets, blue ridge floating pellets, and floating blackworm pellets.

I alternate between the mixes to keep him on his toes lol. He always finds all of it regardless.

20210921_104616.jpg

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

So I got Shion's little food. I mix all 3 of these together for his "sinking mix". Cobalt sinking goldfish pellets, sinking spirulina pellets, and sinking mysis pellets.

I also have a "floating mix" which has the Cobalt floating goldfish pellets, blue ridge floating pellets, and floating blackworm pellets.

I alternate between the mixes to keep him on his toes lol. He always finds all of it regardless.

20210921_104616.jpg

He sounds brighter than my moor who took at least a week to realise his new pellets sunk straight away… and that vegetables were edible. :glare:

2 hours ago, hannah said:

He sounds brighter than my moor who took at least a week to realise his new pellets sunk straight away… and that vegetables were edible. :glare:

Lol I have had Moors before. They are often nearly blind due to their eye deformity and as such take longer to find food and figure out how best to eat it - but once they find a routine, they're good to go!

Looks like I’m off work for a while. More time with aquatics!

• Helper

I went to a LFS that I've never been to yesterday. It was a tiny little shop, but clean and tidy. 
They had a bunch of goldies labelled as nymphs, they aren't nymphs. But it honestly doesn't bother me what they are called :rofl Their goldfish section was quite small, most if it was saltwater and tropicals. 

But i did leave with these two calico "nymphs" (Lol). My friends 6 year old son named them, so they are named Gemmy and Jeff. Jeff makes me laugh so much. Such a random name for a fish. I love it. Gemmys photo is blurry, photos were taken at the shop. I'll get better photos sometime soon! Its a bit hard in the QT tub.

image.thumb.png.a80a2d03ad11d0942e856b56ec3ce080.png

image.thumb.png.a00a8822b88df6b62c98aca8ac45db4e.png

They are "long tailed" calico Ryukins. Not sure where the "Nymph" label came from. Gemmy sorta has a flat hump and longer peduncle and looks more fantailish.

As a Ryukin SUPERFAN, with Jeff I honestly would expect swimming issues. Ryukins just struggle with long tails that are heavy like that. And his peduncle looks weak and sorta deformed as well.

Hopefully he does well in your care. There's no better place for him. That much I DO know as you do a great job with all of your fish. Love the coloration on them too.

• Helper

I definitely have a lot of experience with fish with swimming issues so I'm sure we will be able to work out anything that comes up :D

The Nymph label made me laugh lol, I knew Jeff was Ryukin but was debating between fantail and Ryukin for Gemmy.

• Helper

Ugh I have had so many swim bladder fish. Blech. And one of mine has been increasingly stuck upside down at the top over the last few months. I’m thinking of increasing the current, honestly that often helps, though it seems counterintuitive.

As many issues as I have had (mainly foreign diseases from imports) I actually have had VERY VERY few swim bladder issues. Actually the only swim bladder issue I ever had was when I first started out and had a goldfish consume gravel and became a permanent SINKER and I ended up having to euthanize her. Stopped using gravel after that.. Never really had any floaters or upside downers.

But I don't really keep my goldfish indoors so I think that plays a part. Haven't had goldfish indoors for AGES. Just recently got Shion to keep indoors. He is not old/large enough to really have swim bladder issues yet. Hopefully he never does.

4 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I definitely have a lot of experience with fish with swimming issues so I'm sure we will be able to work out anything that comes up :D

The Nymph label made me laugh lol, I knew Jeff was Ryukin but was debating between fantail and Ryukin for Gemmy.

I think they're both Ryukins. Probably from the same line/spawn. They're pet grade so it's totally possible. But I expect Gemmy to be stronger and healthier because of his shape. Some Ryukins have such bad shapes that they hardly qualify as Ryukins even though they were bred from Ryukins. 

Boss here has a bad shape too. Hump way too flat and peduncle too long. You can still tell he's a Ryukin, mainly because his fins are short... but he is definitely a bad quality one.205206547_20210713_1422472.thumb.jpg.39de1421b9a82a4ae3664a43be62b3fc.jpg.d2c7fbb23760391451ed30e23d92a3ec.jpg

• Helper

Yea, I've had ryukins that looks more like fantails but produced nice ryukin looking babies too.

But  honestly don't care about labels/pet quality/show quality etc. I just look for something that attracts me. I'm never going to show my fish or anything, they are just for me to enjoy 🥰

I agree. I love Boss even though he isn't high quality. I've had him quite some time and am quite attached to him. As long as they are healthy - I'm all for it. I have several wonky goldies.