Open Chat 2

koko

12 hours ago, mjfromga said:

The tank is only 10 gallons. There are a BLILLION of the Guppies in there. Impossible to count. All bred and grown in there all from the same original 15 fry I got. I never separate any fish ever. I do only tiny water changes so as not to suck up too many babies. Surprisingly - the water parameters don't get too bad. I also added some Lucky Bamboo to the tank. I try and get rid of them by giving them away - but the tank repopulates like this again fairly quickly.

It is honestly horrible. I do think I am ready to give up and give all the Guppies away and try a different species altogether. Livebearers are a no for me. First and last time trying them.

Could you maybe add a predator after getting stocking levels down? I think my medaka will probably predate any fry once in the main tank so hopefully won’t have the same problem!

• Admin
19 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Here he is

image.thumb.png.19c27b697642c48888474e2d385a52a9.png

I'd like to make another one some time.

AWE hes so cute.... I love him. 

16 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Here is his original thread here when I got him. He is about 3 years old. Got him as a teensy baby for $8 from Walmart back when a few still sold fish. Best Walmart purchase ever lol

Dang.. From that to a Huge Big Boy. WOW. I had thought about those fish but never did. 

They are impressive fish. :teehee

13 hours ago, mjfromga said:

The tank is only 10 gallons. There are a BLILLION of the Guppies in there. Impossible to count. All bred and grown in there all from the same original 15 fry I got. I never separate any fish ever. I do only tiny water changes so as not to suck up too many babies. Surprisingly - the water parameters don't get too bad. I also added some Lucky Bamboo to the tank. I try and get rid of them by giving them away - but the tank repopulates like this again fairly quickly.

It is honestly horrible. I do think I am ready to give up and give all the Guppies away and try a different species altogether. Livebearers are a no for me. First and last time trying them.

Yup Guppies are kinda like rabbits. They just keep on breeding :rofl

Mary has his moments though. Sometimes he's in a good mood and will let me play with him and touch him and everything.

9 hours ago, hannah said:

Could you maybe add a predator after getting stocking levels down? I think my medaka will probably predate any fry once in the main tank so hopefully won’t have the same problem!

I hate the idea of putting a predator on them. I want them all to have good homes. I could just as easily scoop the extras into my goldfish pool or my 55 gallon with a medium/large Blood Parrot, where they'd be eaten... But it kinda upsets me to do so. That's why I kinda just want to move on from Guppies. They breed too much.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:46 AM, mjfromga said:

I hate the idea of putting a predator on them. I want them all to have good homes. I could just as easily scoop the extras into my goldfish pool or my 55 gallon with a medium/large Blood Parrot, where they'd be eaten... But it kinda upsets me to do so. That's why I kinda just want to move on from Guppies. They breed too much.

Yeah, it’s a difficult situation.

My airline somehow got detached from the pump so the sponge filter was off in the 10 gallon overnight. Now we have a cycle bump… more water changes for me. :wall

Fishes are fine though… the medaka have been spawning everyday!

I put some cucumber pieces in my aquarium to see what would happen.  Later I thought about how to remove those pieces. I checked my tank but couldn't find any cucumber pieces.   Oops I found only one or two little piece(s) left. The rest are gone.

I hate doing water changes but I fear I need to do one soon.  I could ask Lady Loki or Mr. Summers to do their water change but they are too busy.  Apparently a goldfish life is too busy with swimming, eating, looking for food, examining decoration and other similar fishy stuff.

Us pale Brits can’t cope with this. :help:

EBC8E9A1-1CA7-4F53-B513-F2F2251B86C3.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Do I need to cook frozen peas or just thaw and shell them before giving them to my friends?

My friends are doing well but I need to start preparing for a water change.

Edit needed to fix an odd typo.

Edited by Miss Bad Wolf

go easy on the spinach, it is not the best food for goldfish. Shelled peas are a better choice, cucumbers are fine too.

• Helper
6 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Do I need to cook frozen peas or just thaw and shell them before giving them to my friends?

My friends are doing well but I need to start preparing for a water change.

Edit needed to fix an odd typo.

They eat them more easily if they’re squeezed out of the shells. Spinach is popular here too, but like one leaf per goldfish, blanched. Mine love blanched zucchini too, if the ancistrus doesn’t eat it all first 😚

Koko that heart turned out great!

• Helper
On 7/19/2021 at 4:42 PM, hannah said:

Us pale Brits can’t cope with this. :help:

EBC8E9A1-1CA7-4F53-B513-F2F2251B86C3.jpeg

We have had heat waves here too. It’s not fun. Today is about 90 F with high humidity.

Also one of my daughters is turned 13 today. Crazy crazy how time flies.

21 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

We have had heat waves here too. It’s not fun. Today is about 90 F with high humidity.

Also one of my daughters is turned 13 today. Crazy crazy how time flies.

Thankfully it’s cooled down today and we’ve had a bit of rain.

Happy birthday to your daughter!

8 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Happy birthday!

I'm thinking of doing a goldfish related YouTube channel.

I’ve just started an aquatics channel, it’s fun. :)