Open Chat 2

koko

• Helper

Good luck on your story!!! As for why fry look different, do you mean their baby coloration? It makes them blend in with pond water and the muddy bottom of streams and lakes, making them camouflaged to predators who would eat them. As they get bigger and stronger the fry colors shift, but it’s a preservation strategy to help the goldfish survive to reproductive age, themselves :)

On 7/5/2021 at 2:37 AM, Arctic Mama said:

That’s called a blood parrot, they’re a kind of hybridized South American cichlid :) 

They're wonderful characters, very fun fish. But not at all compatible with goldfish. For one thing they thrive in warm, acidic tank conditions! They can also be territorial fin nippers.

I concur... And so does Mary.

I have had Mary for a few years and as he got older, he got meaner. He is unable to have tank mates now. He attacks anything that moves in his tank and generally stresses other fish to death or beats them up. He also bites any hands or tools that enter his tank. He lives in a 55 by himself and that's how it'll be until he passes away. I love Mary but his little temper makes me say NO to Blood Parrots ever again. I am not a fan of a 55 gallon with just one orange smelly fish.

Trio of guppies in QT! I’ve never actually kept them before. The male lost a lot of his colour which I guess was the stress of the drive home but hopefully he’ll colour up soon.

Please excuse the half dead plants, apparently I can keep high light red plants alive but not Java Fern. :wall

6536C852-F3B2-4163-A705-1E8E3EB0681E.jpeg

Congratulations! Guppy is a lot of fun and soon give cause for more tanks as they reproduce  plentiful,rapidly and often , perhaps because of their short lifespan.

2 hours ago, mikroll said:

Congratulations! Guppy is a lot of fun and soon give cause for more tanks as they reproduce  plentiful,rapidly and often , perhaps because of their short lifespan.

Thank you! I now want to start a true endler tank, this is getting out of hand. :rofl

2 hours ago, hannah said:

Thank you! I now want to start a true endler tank, this is getting out of hand. :rofl

Watch out! As you may be in deep trouble.

once you are bitten by the Guppy bug there is no going back as you will now discover another world of  “SHOW “ guppies. Oh yes you are in for it now!!

12 hours ago, mikroll said:

once you are bitten by the Guppy bug there is no going back as you will now discover another world of  “SHOW “ guppies. Oh yes you are in for it now!!

Already eyeing up a breeding pair of blue moscows online! :peeka

• Admin
On 7/6/2021 at 12:31 AM, mjfromga said:

I concur... And so does Mary.

I have had Mary for a few years and as he got older, he got meaner. He is unable to have tank mates now. He attacks anything that moves in his tank and generally stresses other fish to death or beats them up. He also bites any hands or tools that enter his tank. He lives in a 55 by himself and that's how it'll be until he passes away. I love Mary but his little temper makes me say NO to Blood Parrots ever again. I am not a fan of a 55 gallon with just one orange smelly fish.

DUDE! That fish is impressive. 

On 7/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, mikroll said:

So true. My hubby had them for about 15 years. Till I killed them. :( 

• Admin

So what do you guys think of these?

These are my first ones. Im still working out the air bubbles in them and having fun doing it lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Helper
15 hours ago, hannah said:

Already eyeing up a breeding pair of blue moscows online! :peeka

My guppies are breeding right now too, they’re fun :)  

• Admin
12 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Those are cute! Plaster in molds?

Cement in molds. We have been having fun making cement things. :rofl

12 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

My guppies are breeding right now too, they’re fun :)  

I love the simpleness of Guppies...and all the colors they come in too. :) 

5 hours ago, koko said:

So what do you guys think of these?

These are my first ones. Im still working out the air bubbles in them and having fun doing it lol

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Oo I love the red and white ones!

• Admin
20 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

He is bad... Lol but I love him still.

How old is he? How long did it take him to get that big? 

First we attack the koi clay cos we think it’s a bag of food… then we cuddle it.

ED81B043-C4F9-4723-94B6-7959101E4E03.jpeg

• Admin
1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

They are so cute koko!

I made a clay koi a few years back, I had so much fun making it. Unfortunately it got broken

A few of them have lost the edge of there tails. :yikes

Do you have a photo of it? Did you paint it? 

9 hours ago, koko said:

How old is he? How long did it take him to get that big? 

Here is his original thread here when I got him. He is about 3 years old. Got him as a teensy baby for $8 from Walmart back when a few still sold fish. Best Walmart purchase ever lol

I tried guppies. Got 15 tiny parasite looking fry from eBay in December of last year. This has been my nightmare from those 15. I have LITERALLY given away hundreds but this just keeps happening. Think I will move to another species soon.

18 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

I tried guppies. Got 15 tiny parasite looking fry from eBay in December of last year. This has been my nightmare from those 15. I have LITERALLY given away hundreds but this just keeps happening. Think I will move to another species soon.

Oh that’s a lot of guppies! What size tank and how many do you think are in there? I bet water changes are a nightmare! 

2 hours ago, hannah said:

Oh that’s a lot of guppies! What size tank and how many do you think are in there? I bet water changes are a nightmare! 

The tank is only 10 gallons. There are a BLILLION of the Guppies in there. Impossible to count. All bred and grown in there all from the same original 15 fry I got. I never separate any fish ever. I do only tiny water changes so as not to suck up too many babies. Surprisingly - the water parameters don't get too bad. I also added some Lucky Bamboo to the tank. I try and get rid of them by giving them away - but the tank repopulates like this again fairly quickly.

It is honestly horrible. I do think I am ready to give up and give all the Guppies away and try a different species altogether. Livebearers are a no for me. First and last time trying them.

• Helper

I feel like such a failure with guppies, I've tried them a couple of times but never got so many lol.  But only tropical fish I have now is my betta,  I shut-down and sold my 50g tropical.