Open Chat 2

koko

• Admin

Well Im down to one goldfish. Goldfish himself died while Justine and I where in Idaho... He was slightly sick when we left and I had a feeling he was going to pass away.

:( 

• Admin

Its a bummer I can say, but he was on the edge of going Dropsies for about 4 months. I had tried everything under the moon, but I couldnt get him back to normal. :(

3 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Is it true that pineconing is fatal?

Not in every case, dropsy does have a very high mortality rate but a few fish end up pulling through with the right treatment.

I found evidence of something in my aquarium that looks like fish poop.  The one who put it there isn't talking.

IMG_20210624_185605.thumb.jpg.e0c1fb6572beb879e11954c18ee259ef.jpg

Two of my suspects are gapping their mouths but not talking.

sorry about your loss koko, it sounds like you did everything possible.  Dropsy or Pinconning is caused by many things and appears to be systemic, basically a shut down of the vital organs which may be caused by bacterial, virus, environmental issues. Kanaplex when given early along with raising water temps has good success against this systemic issue

Female medaka with eggs on her underside. :heart

2C98EE52-3C09-4CB0-8D58-10A4954733BC.jpeg

On 6/26/2021 at 3:13 PM, hannah said:

Female medaka with eggs on her underside. :heart

2C98EE52-3C09-4CB0-8D58-10A4954733BC.jpeg

Congratulations!! Always a joy when they produce . 

I thought of training my pets to eat only when I tell them to eat.  Both of them refuse to listen to me and start eating right away.

I need to find something else to teach them.

11 hours ago, mikroll said:

Congratulations!! Always a joy when they produce . 

Thank you! Hoping some make it to adulthood!

7 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I thought of training my pets to eat only when I tell them to eat.  Both of them refuse to listen to me and start eating right away.

I need to find something else to teach them.

:rofl

Can a fish explode?  I was once told by someone that their goldfish exploded because the fish was fed too much.  I forgot who told me that.

If it is pineconing that they meant, I thought that had nothing to do with over eating but maybe a bacterial infection?

• Helper
44 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Can a fish explode?  I was once told by someone that their goldfish exploded because the fish was fed too much.  I forgot who told me that.

If it is pineconing that they meant, I thought that had nothing to do with over eating but maybe a bacterial infection?

Huh, not that I know of. Not a living fish, anyway, unless they were squeezed or had an organ rupture due to trauma or something similar. Pineconing, even severely, doesn’t really look the same. Weird.

• Helper
On 6/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I need to do a water change after lunch.  I did put some fluval bug bites goldfish food in it earlier.  Apparently that food is a big hit in my aquarium.

I need to do some tonight too, in the guppy tank and goldfish, too. And the guppy fry bucket.  My fish ADORE bug bites, all of them. I’m pretty sure Fluval has made some actual version of fish crack with those 😂

I need to pick up some bug bites. Also need to do water changes. :cry

Think it might be time for a haircut on this jungle too, lol

184735F4-3967-4795-B52E-668C3EC63620.jpeg

• Helper

I love overgrown tanks, they always look more natural to me. Yours is beautiful, Hannah!

I keep getting recurring dreams of fish in peril.

Last night dream wasn't too realistic though.  The tank fell and I had to rescue the fish.  However, there was no evidence of the tank that fell.  No glass. No gravel. No plants. No excess water.  And it was a nice size tank in the dream.  Maybe at least 40 or 50 gallons as it was bigger than my 20 high.

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I love overgrown tanks, they always look more natural to me. Yours is beautiful, Hannah!

Thank you! The one thing I love about it is how slowly my nitrates climb, which I put down to being heavily planted.

I put some orange pieces in my aquarium.  I think they are all gone or almost all gone.

My suspects are a Moore named Summers and a ryukin named Loki. Neither one is talking.  I doubt my roommate would reach into my aquarium for orange pieces when she doesn't really touch the oranges in the kitchen.

I'm thinking it was Loki, but it could also be Summers.

I asked a housemate what kind of fish is this?Blood-Parrot.png.7acd66fc6ad75de419004d1dd6430219.png

She told me it was a goldfish.  Then I asked if that fish looked like either of my goldfish, she said no.

Why do some people think the fish in the picture is a goldfish?  I keep seeing this type of fish associated with goldfish. 

First thing I noticed, that fish's finage doesn't remind me of any goldfish finage.  Also the body shape isn't goldfish related either.

I bet no one here would think that fish is a goldfish or make good tank mates for a goldfish.

• Helper

That’s called a blood parrot, they’re a kind of hybridized South American cichlid :) 

They're wonderful characters, very fun fish. But not at all compatible with goldfish. For one thing they thrive in warm, acidic tank conditions! They can also be territorial fin nippers.

• Admin
On 6/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, spider man said:

sorry about your loss koko, it sounds like you did everything possible.  Dropsy or Pinconning is caused by many things and appears to be systemic, basically a shut down of the vital organs which may be caused by bacterial, virus, environmental issues. Kanaplex when given early along with raising water temps has good success against this systemic issue

Thank you :hug

Goldfish got Dropsies when he was about 3-4 years old.... Then he got it again when he was about 6, so when I saw he got it again, I was like okay we can go through this again or keep him comfy. Goldfish was 8-9 years old and was happy till the filter got left off over night. That was the last straw.... 

I kinda knew he was going to pass away just didnt think it would be when I was gone. :yikes