koko

Open Chat 2

8 hours ago, hannah said:

Decided to deep clean my pond yesterday, didn’t realise my hose was set to jet and broke the pads off my water lily that I paid an arm and a leg for, then discovered my oranda had tried treating it as an all you can eat salad bar anyway. :wa Pay day tomorrow so I can get a new pump and get my filter system fixed.

100% water change on the 33G and Ich treatment started for my moor, he’s still somehow got the energy of a toddler and begging for food every 5 minutes.

Just have to battle the 55G now!

p.s. I cannot work out how to change my signature? 

I forgot too but at least my fish are still cute.

Shall we do another Give Away guys?

Oh and If you would like me to try and paint something let me know. I need ideas sometimes lol

It’s your call, I don’t feel strongly one way or the other, but I think they’re fun to have going :)

So the orange oranda that I couldn't stop thinking about and ended up going back to the shop to get....

I should have left him there. Within a day of having him he was starting to pinecone. It's been almost 2 weeks now and despite treatment he is completely pineconed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to euthanize him :( I knew it was a risk bringing him home, two of the fish in his tank were bottom sitting and one was the most pineconed I've seen a fish. But it still sucks!

The calico is still doing great though. I will be extending the Quarantine time though, to make sure he is completely free of anything before going in my tank

28 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

So the orange oranda that I couldn't stop thinking about and ended up going back to the shop to get....

I should have left him there. Within a day of having him he was starting to pinecone. It's been almost 2 weeks now and despite treatment he is completely pineconed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to euthanize him :( I knew it was a risk bringing him home, two of the fish in his tank were bottom sitting and one was the most pineconed I've seen a fish. But it still sucks!

The calico is still doing great though. I will be extending the Quarantine time though, to make sure he is completely free of anything before going in my tank

Oh no hun. This sucks so very much.

Do you know why this happens over there so much? 

4 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I should have left him there. Within a day of having him he was starting to pinecone. 

Wow! Sorry to hear that. But good that you share the information to remind us of the risk each time a new fish comes home from a shop. this week I have received the Covid vaccine and on way home stopped at a shop to have a peek and saw some beautiful fish . We were tempted but decided against it because of the amount of detailed time needed to insure that they can not infect the others. Glad that we chose that path after reading your post today. As now going through the after effects of the jab and have no energy to devote to such a project surely.

Hope you have success with treating your fish . I  found it very difficult to recover a fish from that one. Requires a long lucky treatment which usually as we know has a low rate of recovery. 

No idea :( Most of the fish I've lost have been lost to dropsy.  It really sucks.  Given that Manny has been in treatment since the day I bought him home (I Started it as a precaution seeing the other sick fish in the tank) and has only gotten worse,  I don't have any hope left for him.

Just speculating but maybe bad mass breeding practices? Or bad importing practices. As far as I know most commercially fish bred in Australia come from the same farm - there aren't a whole lot of hobbyist/private breeders, and nothing like ECR. Then there are mass imports of the really fancy fish too, they are usually very expensive ($300+) and a lot of the shops just put them for sale as soon as they get them in. (I know of 1, maybe 2 shops that QT their stock before selling, but even the 'top of the line' shops are selling their fish the day they get them in without any monitoring)

On 5/9/2021 at 5:27 PM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Today I his some mushed up banana pieces in my aquarium.  Those disappeared so quickly.  I didn't know goldfish love bananas so much.

I tried banana with my moor today after seeing this, he turned his nose up like he has with everything else I’ve offered him... I think I may have managed to buy the fussiest fish alive. All he’ll eat is pellets! :doh11:

On 5/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, hannah said:

I tried banana with my moor today after seeing this, he turned his nose up like he has with everything else I’ve offered him... I think I may have managed to buy the fussiest fish alive. All he’ll eat is pellets! :doh11:

That really makes me laugh. Maybe he doesn't know human food is great. lol 

1 hour ago, koko said:

That really makes me laugh. Maybe he doesn't know human food is great. lol 

Honestly. I’ve tried him with every vegetable I can think of, even bought him duckweed and he wouldn’t touch it. I’ve ordered him bloodworm and daphnia, I will cry if I spent that money for nothing :rofl

1 hour ago, hannah said:

Honestly. I’ve tried him with every vegetable I can think of, even bought him duckweed and he wouldn’t touch it. I’ve ordered him bloodworm and daphnia, I will cry if I spent that money for nothing :rofl

Well then I guess he's what you call a cheep date kinda fish ROFL :teehee

9 hours ago, hannah said:

Have you tried live mosquito larva or small earthworms live. Most are also fond of fish eggs. 

I think that if some stupid mosquito tries laying her eggs in my aquarium, my fish will be happy.  Munch! Munch!

Salem: also entirely unbothered about peas.

9D2C8F93-AF19-4C4B-B32A-F3B54EB5121C.jpeg

It sounds like this fish has been feed nothing but pellet foods. :yikes 

On 5/26/2021 at 2:59 PM, koko said:

Shall we do another Give Away guys?

Yes, they are fun!

On 5/28/2021 at 10:48 PM, Arctic Mama said:

I think they’re fun to have going

Yep ^

On 5/29/2021 at 5:17 PM, hannah said:

I think I may have managed to buy the fussiest fish alive. All he’ll eat is pellets!

I'd keep trying, sometimes they need to get used to a food.  Also, add a particular veggie in a batch of gel food, it may help him develop a taste for the veggies alone.  Good Luck!

...He ate the peas but is now spitting his pellets out. I give up. :rofl

I once had goldfish that just looooved tangerines for some reason. The right food is out there somewhere (;

2 minutes ago, heckittie said:

I once had goldfish that just looooved tangerines for some reason. The right food is out there somewhere (;

Great idea for me to try.  How do I prep them?

4 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Great idea for me to try.  How do I prep them?

I would actually use the ones that come in fruit cups (no sugar added, and rinsed of juice*) and rip them up into smallish pieces. They're nice and soft. You just dont want to do too many cause of the acidity. I supposed the same can be done with normal tangerines, I would clean off as much of the peel insides as possible and soak in warm water for like half an hour to soften them.

I had a telescope years ago that couldn’t get enough of watermelon!

7 hours ago, hannah said:

Now I want a watermelon!

16 hours ago, hannah said:

...He ate the peas but is now spitting his pellets out. I give up. :rofl

ROLF That fish is nuts lol

2 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Now I want a watermelon!

I have some in the frig lol

54 minutes ago, koko said:

I have some in the frig lol

Sounds like an invitation . . . Watermelon Party at Kokos!  Wear your Hawaiian shirts!

22 hours ago, hannah said:

Now I want a watermelon!  But my fridge is full! Its not all my fault as I share a house with a bunch of women which means I have to share the fridge.